Cashing In Our Clad

diggin4clad

Elite Member
Though we're hoping to get out at least one more time this year, Sue and I cashed in our clad coins from this year's hunts. Sue will use hers for extra Christmas shopping money and I spent mine at a coin show to add to my precious metal holdings.
Sue only hunted about half as many hunts as I did but came in with a respectable $133.14 which is shown in the pile of loose coins. I counted and stacked mine so that I had an accurate count before taking them to my credit union and dumping them in the coin machine which has no fees. My clad totals were......2288 coins worth $345.13 There were 388 pennies, 222 nickels, 650 dimes, 1,017 quarters, 1 half, and 10 dollar coins. At the coin show I bought a French 20 Franc gold coin and used what was left to buy 23 silver quarters.
The silver coins were priced at $11.75 per dollar and the gold coin was priced at $277 which at the time was about $4.50 over spot gold price.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0586 (2).JPG
    IMG_0586 (2).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0587 (2).JPG
    IMG_0587 (2).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 509
Though we're hoping to get out at least one more time this year, Sue and I cashed in our clad coins from this year's hunts. Sue will use hers for extra Christmas shopping money and I spent mine at a coin show to add to my precious metal holdings.
Sue only hunted about half as many hunts as I did but came in with a respectable $133.14 which is shown in the pile of loose coins. I counted and stacked mine so that I had an accurate count before taking them to my credit union and dumping them in the coin machine which has no fees. My clad totals were......2288 coins worth $345.13 There were 388 pennies, 222 nickels, 650 dimes, 1,017 quarters, 1 half, and 10 dollar coins. At the coin show I bought a French 20 Franc gold coin and used what was left to buy 23 silver quarters.
The silver coins were priced at $11.75 per dollar and the gold coin was priced at $277 which at the time was about $4.50 over spot gold price.

Very nice! Was looking forward to your post. I sure like that gold coin design. I'm guessing I have about the same number of coins, but not even 1/3 in value. My pennies far outnumber my quarters. In fact, I probably have more nickels than quarters.

Some very impressive numbers with your clad totals for you and Sue. Love the French 20 Franc Gold Coin as its design is not of the expectant types. Although a Rooster I suppose is something to crow about. Also nice to add the Silver Quarters to your treasure chest. Congrats my friend on a very nice and successful year. Trapper

Your ratio is amazing. Whatever amount of clad I find, half of them are pennies. So, if I found 2288 coins, 1144 would be pennies.

Very nice! Was looking forward to your post. I sure like that gold coin design. I'm guessing I have about the same number of coins, but not even 1/3 in value. My pennies far outnumber my quarters. In fact, I probably have more nickels than quarters.
Thanks ToySoldier…..for whatever reason, quarters are always #1 in our finds....which is a good thing:clapping:

Congrats on all the clad ! The Gold coin is a real beauty !
Thanks SoilSurgeon…..we had a good year.

Some very impressive numbers with your clad totals for you and Sue. Love the French 20 Franc Gold Coin as its design is not of the expectant types. Although a Rooster I suppose is something to crow about. Also nice to add the Silver Quarters to your treasure chest. Congrats my friend on a very nice and successful year. Trapper
Thanks Trapper.....I could have bought a more expensive gold coin but the 20 Franc coin allowed me to get some silver with it.:workforgold:

Your ratio is amazing. Whatever amount of clad I find, half of them are pennies. So, if I found 2288 coins, 1144 would be pennies.
Thanks Mick.....quarters are usually 40-50 percent of our finds which is a lot better than a pile of pennies:mder:

Real good amount of clad there...and you cleaned them up nicely too!
Thanks JAK.....I clean them as I go along so it's not a big chore at year's end.

I sure hope to see a gold coin some day :laughing: guess I might have to save some clad to grab one. Congrats on your yearly additions to the treasure chest!

Nice year end totals Ed. Converting the clad to precious metal coinage is a nice reward for the digging efforts. The French 20 Franc coin is gorgeous. A nice Christmas gift to yourself.

Jim

Great year DfC,and congrats to the Mrs. as well. Love the gold coin. Happy Holidays. Mark
Thanks Mark.....and Merrry Christmas to you.

Congrats to you both !!!! :thumbsup: …...and that gold coin was a nice reward for your efforts !
Thanks Gary.....made all that bending worthwhile.

I sure hope to see a gold coin some day :laughing: guess I might have to save some clad to grab one. Congrats on your yearly additions to the treasure chest!
Thanks Jeff.....I've only dug one gold coin in my 37 years of detecting so using the clad to buy others is the only way I'll ever see any more gold. Good luck in your quest.

Nice year end totals Ed. Converting the clad to precious metal coinage is a nice reward for the digging efforts. The French 20 Franc coin is gorgeous. A nice Christmas gift to yourself.

Jim
Thanks Jim.....Merry Christmas to you....:xmas:

Nice go on the gold, my favorite color!
Thanks AMC.....My favorite color too.

Mark,

I took his post wrong and apologized to him. When the heading said OUR, I thought he meant everyone on here. I asked for it to be deleted way earlier but it never happened.

Again, sorry for the hijack.
Everything is cool, a simple misinterpretation.

Back
Top Bottom