Detector pricing/Suggested retail.

tinsmith

Elite Member
I usually don't come on here complaining but... Does anyone else get frustrated when shopping for something and the only price you get from anywhere is "Suggested Retail". Reminds me of the lessons in Business on Price fixing, an illegal action about companies getting together and fixing prices. I know, that's not happening here in detector land. But it reminds me of fixing. In detector world every new machine is priced the same. The sponsors here are good people and I'm thinking the last couple months have been hard on them. Especially the small family businesses. By no means do I meen any hard feelings on the dealers. Just wondering if any of my digging brothers n sisters out there also get frustrated shopping for something. Me, I do and I hate wheeling n dealing for anything! I've been online everywhere. This morning I've decided I'm done.
I'm probably going to get a beginner fly fishing kit.

OMG, haha . I just checked my email!! I had a nice response from a good guy on a decent price BEFORE I wrote this....

But it reminds me of fixing. In detector world every new machine is priced the same.

OMG, haha . I just checked my email!! I had a nice response from a good guy on a decent price BEFORE I wrote this....

Detectors have THREE prices.....
1) MSRP
2) Advertised selling price which is lower than MSRP
3) The "REAL WORLD" price....the one you get by speaking to and negotiating with the seller.

Detectors have THREE prices.....
1) MSRP
2) Advertised selling price which is lower than MSRP
3) The "REAL WORLD" price....the one you get by speaking to and negotiating with the seller.

He got it...but let me just expound a bit using way more words.

Every new detector IS priced the same on all detector websites but that is only because the manufactures make them do it.
There is the MSRP price which is usually not real-world that many companies use as a ridiculously high number pretty much made up and sometimes used just to play off of in sales promotions.

"Hurry...30% off while they last!!!"

Then there the the lowest ADVERTISED price which ALL retail detector sellers must stick to when they advertise or they can, and will, lose their right to sell those products if they don't adhere to the rules.
Hence, all detector websites have exactly the same advertised price.

Then there is the REAL price the owners of those websites will sell them at which sometimes IS discounted off advertised prices and might surprise you compared to those advertised prices...but you have to contact them directly to negotiate that price.

I don't believe there is a huge markup on any of these tools compared to other products like say hearing aids or eyeglasses, if you knew what those products actually cost vs what people spend on them you would definitely be shocked.
Still, like most retail products out there, the higher models that cost more also have the most wiggle room for the dealers.
You might be able get $100 or whatever off an Equinox or other higher end model but no way would you see that kind of discount on lower entry or midrange models....IF the dealers want to discount at all.

This is just the way it has been in most retail forever.
Just games that are successful and are played because so many consumers are ignorant and don't research or compare before they buy mostly...anything.

Last edited:
I was speaking to one of the sponsors awhile back and some manufactures they are allowed to negotiate prices on product and sell below MSRP, others they are forbidden from doing so. Often though if they are unable to sell below MSRP they can still sweeten the deal by including other goodies from other manufactures as discounted rates in a package deal.

Thanks guys. Obviously Im a lousy impatient shopper. I can't stand haggling. Usually I just see what I want and just swipe! But I've had to change. I'm on a fixed retirement income now. I used to be able to just work a few more hours, especially double time Sunday!!! And get whatever I want, within my means anyway. Now I need to have patience.

I was speaking to one of the sponsors awhile back and some manufactures they are allowed to negotiate prices on product and sell below MSRP, others they are forbidden from doing so. Often though if they are unable to sell below MSRP they can still sweeten the deal by including other goodies from other manufactures as discounted rates in a package deal.
On point here. Most pricing online is about the same. You have to do your homework. But what I like most is that some WANT you to call them for an even better deal. This is great because I can get a feel for them on how they think , are they competent , does my personality gel with their's is important to me. The bigger box shops I seem to have more problems with. They aren't as flexible , yet have a larger bankroll...go figure. Some of the sponsors I've purchased from here (smaller companies) have given me a little better price and maybe throw in a tshirt , motus grip or something. This is what makes America great. Rather than looking at an inflexible computer screen. Personalized , flexible , customer service means the world to me.

I sell stuff online that I buy from the manufacturer.

I had one company who was a small mom and pop shop tell me I can't put the price on my website except for when people purchase the product without knowing the price. I said ok and did what they told me and watched sales of that product come to a dead stop and I don't blame people not buying it. I just left it up then the same company told me that their "Lawyers" did not like the discription of the product so I told them to email what they want word for word and I will copy and paste that in. I did and a few months later I get a call from the same company demanding intake down what they told me word for word to put there down. At that point I put the product up with a price until I sold it out and sold it at their price they demand I sell it for.

That was the last time I sold their products because it was just too much work from a mom and pop company to cause me.

Sometimes that low price may make you have to work hard to get it. Is it worth it?

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

On something like a detector I contact at least 5 dealers. I send them an email. Then I call the ones that have the decency to say "Call Me" and that is because they are afraid the competition will report them if they put something in print. I then give each one a call and accept the best deal. For small items I just call my Favorite Dealer and ask the real price and then send him a check. I have sometimes had the item in my hand before he got my check. Customer loyalty means a lot to a small dealer.

The only price a detector manufacturer can enforcer is the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). Any dealer who “advertises” a lower price than this can lose his right to be a dealer.

Any dealer can sell a detector at any price he wants, just not advertise a price lower than MAP.

For anybody who wants to know more, here’s a link with a clear explanation

https://econsultancy.com/what-are-minimum-advertised-price-policies/

Have had fleabay auctions shut down because the mfg complained that I wasn't personally selling at MAP (not being a dealer, just an individual with items to sell).

Some mfgs take greed as far as they can.

Personally not a fan of MAP practices but going though "authorized" dealers is at least a good way to make sure you're getting a genuine product. MAP limits competitive retail pricing to what the manufactures deem reasonable, so in that sense it doesn't seem so different from price fixing if all manufacturers of a certain type of product follow each other by maintaining MAP policies, even if it's not an official agreement between manufacturers.

And yet there are some dealers that you can spend thousands of dollars with and promise to be there for you if the time comes and then they can’t or don’t want to should the need arise.

Back
Top Bottom