I LOVE toothpaste for cleaning silver coins!!!

351maverick

Elite Member
these are essentially before & after pics - just a few minutes spent with some toothpaste between my fingers
DSC02354_zps182b9dcb.jpg

DSC02355_zps977b9424.jpg

wow! i'd never heard this trick. NOTED. thanks so much for sharing. i'm prone to a white vinegar soak, but that might be harsh for coinage.

any particular brand/type you prefer?

It had a nice patina on it. Too bad it had a splotchy front. Any idea what that was on the front? Any way you could have removed the splotches and kept the patina? Doesn't matter as far as value on this coin, but I like to try it anyway to see if I can get good at it.

there was scotch tape residue on these coins, probably from 30 years ago lol

I'm NOT a fan of patina, I'm a fan of shiny!

and I've found that any toothpaste will work, it has the perfect amount of abrasive

Even the new Crest gel type stuff, or do you go more for the actual *paste* type deal?

Doesnt it scratch the coin?

Yes, it absolutely will scratch the coin, even if not visible to the naked eye. What it really comes down to is personal preference. I sometimes use this method or just use some baking soda and scrub with that to clean common silver (rosies, mercs, etc...), in other words coins that are only worth the melt value. If you have a coin that has greater numismatic value than melt value then don't use this method. If you were to send a coin cleaned like this to get graded it would almost definately come back as a 'cleaned coin', reducing the value.

Try some "mothers" mag wheel and chrome polish if you want a real shine. they look like proof coins.

there was scotch tape residue on these coins, probably from 30 years ago lol. I'm NOT a fan of patina, I'm a fan of shiny!
and I've found that any toothpaste will work, it has the perfect amount of abrasive

Ever heard of Goo Gone? Here are 25 other ways to attack tape glue http://tipnut.com/25-helpful-items-to-remove-sticky-adhesive-goo/

Patina, Good!

Doesnt it scratch the coin?

Microscopically. Grading services will judge it "Improperly Cleaned"

When I do remove the patina on a wrecked copper coin or brass relic, I might use a grit of baking soda to clean it off, and then shine with toothpaste.

patina = stupid

sorry but I'll never agree to my silver looking terrible....I don't care what anyone else THINKS my stuff is worth...it's MY silver

Back
Top Bottom