Travel handle take-down. Too difficult

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I've got an aluminum travel shaft for my scoop. I like it overall, but it's VERY tough to take down. The two buttons are hard to push at the same time, and the pieces fit together very tightly, making it hard to take apart.

Any tips on how to either di it right, or how to "fix" it?

Have you tried some Lithium grease?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I've got an aluminum travel shaft for my scoop. I like it overall, but it's VERY tough to take down. The two buttons are hard to push at the same time, and the pieces fit together very tightly, making it hard to take apart.

Any tips on how to either di it right, or how to "fix" it?

After the buttons are pushed in, try rotating the shaft past the holes. Then try pulling apart. If it's still too tight, try a little WD-40 and try it again. By taking it apart after each use, especially in or around salt water should help.

Last edited:
Rinzing your detector shaft and scoop shaft while still in the water is a must, every time just before leaving the water!

After the buttons are pushed in, try rotating the shaft past the holes. Then try pulling apart. If it's still too tight, try a little WD-40 and try it again. By taking it apart after each use, especially in or around salt water should help.

Have you tried some Lithium grease?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Rinzing your detector shaft and scoop shaft while still in the water is a must, every time just before leaving the water!

Thanks all. I rinsed it in the water, but it was salt water :) I rinsed it off after I got home though. I will try the grease, as well as trying to twist it.

I appreciate the help

I have used black electrical tape to cover up all holes and joints to keep sand from getting in on my scoop and detector shaft.

Attachments

• all gold.jpg
    all gold.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 201
If you cannot get it apart,,,,get a new one,,,,,I use Chuck's (Sunspot),,,,he has a great carbon fiber two piece that you use an allan wrench to tighten and take apart,,,I like Jim use black electrical tape over the screw hole and over the snaps in my breakdown shaft,,,,I take it apart right away when I get back to the cabin, and take it in the shower with me and rinse everything,,,,GL HH

I was careless about lubricating the handle on my scoop I have the same thing you have.After I got the vice grips on it and husband got on the other end and twisted it we got it apart then I figured maybe I better grease it when I put it back together I use Vaseline. Must rinse after every saltwater excursion.

Saltwater will destroy anything in short order. Some areas are worse than others but eventually it will get to it. Always wash everything in warm soapy water after getting wet. Better yet, soak it a while if possible.

Cliff

If all else fails maybe try heating it up a bit? Heat gun on low or a blow dryer if you don't have anything else? Not red hot but a little at a time, trying to separate each time.

Metal expands and both pieces are metal...but you might be able to heat up the outer casing more than the inner. Or if it expands and then contracts as it cools it might be better or worse?? Just guessing but if it was me and it was either heat it up or buy a new one, I was gonna try the heat :)

Permatex aluminum anti sieze lubricant. Made for threads but would work in this application.

Permatex aluminum anti sieze lubricant. Made for threads but would work in this application.
It'll work all right but it will be on everything you own! I've used gallons of that as a boat mechanic but I'd never recommend it for anything that you are gonna handle. It is slimy and spreads everywhere. After a couple hours of using it you will look like the Tin Man from Oz.

Cliff

Yup, I never said it was easy. We use it on our Johnson rod that holds our mailbox blower down on the salvage boat. Talk about harsh conditions.

You could come out looking like the Silver Surfer.

It'll work all right but it will be on everything you own! I've used gallons of that as a boat mechanic but I'd never recommend it for anything that you are gonna handle. It is slimy and spreads everywhere. After a couple hours of using it you will look like the Tin Man from Oz.

Cliff

lol :)

Back
Top Bottom