San Diego California

Hello Tom, not sure where Salinas is but if you know where San Diego is we might be in business. How often can you get out to hunt and how long can you swing? I like to put in long hours.

Salinas / Monterey is about 7 hrs north of you.

But I have gotten some seateds and reales east of you. In the high desert. Or if jewelry/beach is your game, you have no shortage of beaches in San Diego. :cool:

Salinas / Monterey is about 7 hrs north of you.

But I have gotten some seateds and reales east of you. In the high desert. Or if jewelry/beach is your game, you have no shortage of beaches in San Diego. :cool:

Very true all my big finds have came from the beach, but I am more so after coins as I am a collector. I have yet to dig any silver coins. I have some cards coming in tomorrow and plan to start hiting the old homes in the area. My home was built in 1950 I was hoping I would find some silver out back but I was only able to find 3 wheats. How long have you been swinging the coil?

Have you been lucky enough to keep all your finds over the years?

I've sold off a lot of stuff. I cash out on all the bag silver, gold rings, sold a lot of key-date coins and tokens, etc.... The only item I've never sold any of is: The gold coins. Got 15 of them so far.

But for other coins, I just keep sample trays in my home museum cabinets. Eg.: a tray of seateds & barbers, a tray of reales, and some site-specific trays (past stage stops, etc....)

But all the rest gets sold to finance excursions, new detectors, etc...

Attachments

• 15 gold coins front.jpg
    15 gold coins front.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 190
Here's the gold coin tray. A few of which were found down your way :/

WOW! that is motivation you have multiple ounce in a life finds there. Did you find them all with the same set up?
Besides hard work what is your secret?
Thank you for sharing I'm going to make that my wallpaper on my phone this week.

.... Did you find them all with the same set up?
Besides hard work what is your secret? ....

Some of them were found back in my Whites days (Spectrum and Eagle II SL90), and the rest with the Explorer II.

Locations = Four of them after beach storm erosion, some after old-town demolition project tearouts, one at a park, one at an old mineral springs resort, and the rest at stage-stop type travel locations.

You are the man I will say it again you are the man!!
Glad you have been able to hold on to all of them over the years.
Do you know anyone who has found more gold coins than you?

....Do you know anyone who has found more gold coins than you?

For this question, I assume you mean "not counting caches". Because, of course, persons have found caches (jars, etc...) that would have contained more than 15. So I assume you mean: Individual random fumble fingers losses (ie.: one-at-a-time circulation losses). If so :

Then there are some guys in Europe that have exceeded this, is what I'm told.

But if you restrict the question to just the USA, then .... the only persons I know of that have found more than 15, are the guys who were the first to hunt Camp Floyd in Utah. There were ... I think 3 guys ... who .... by the time they were done hunting it, had totals of over 20-ish gold coins each. This is recounted in the book: "In Search of Johnston's Army". Where all their tallies are meticulously laid out.

But if we disclude that singular location, I don't know of anyone who's exceeded that. I've heard claims and stories, but ... if true .... they're not persons who have gone-on-record. Eg.: show & tell, wrote about it, etc...

There's a fellow from the San Francisco area (who just recently passed away), who had something like 18 or 20 gold coins. But something like 16 or 17 of them came from a singular demolition site hunt. Apparently a jar or box that became a broken open cache , and inadvertently spread around by a tractor. So ... he always counted that as a "cache" find. Not individual fumble fingers finds @ separate sites. Even though, yes, they were dug one-at-a time. In a single municipal house-sized lot.

He did get another few gold coins randomly during his career here in CA, to come to his total of 18 or 20.

For this question, I assume you mean "not counting caches". Because, of course, persons have found caches (jars, etc...) that would have contained more than 15. So I assume you mean: Individual random fumble fingers losses (ie.: one-at-a-time circulation losses). If so :

Then there are some guys in Europe that have exceeded this, is what I'm told.

But if you restrict the question to just the USA, then .... the only persons I know of that have found more than 15, are the guys who were the first to hunt Camp Floyd in Utah. There were ... I think 3 guys ... who .... by the time they were done hunting it, had totals of over 20-ish gold coins each. This is recounted in the book: "In Search of Johnston's Army". Where all their tallies are meticulously laid out.

But if we disclude that singular location, I don't know of anyone who's exceeded that. I've heard claims and stories, but ... if true .... they're not persons who have gone-on-record. Eg.: show & tell, wrote about it, etc...

There's a fellow from the San Francisco area (who just recently passed away), who had something like 18 or 20 gold coins. But something like 16 or 17 of them came from a singular demolition site hunt. Apparently a jar or box that became a broken open cache , and inadvertently spread around by a tractor. So ... he always counted that as a "cache" find. Not individual fumble fingers finds @ separate sites. Even though, yes, they were dug one-at-a time. In a single municipal house-sized lot.

He did get another few gold coins randomly during his career here in CA, to come to his total of 18 or 20.

Yes I definently ment 1 coin at a time. This makes you a living legend. Have you thought about writing your own book? How often are you able to get out? I am in the process of getting some new gear that will help me step my game up. This hobby has brought me new found joy in life. I really hope that through my hard work and dedication I am able to join the gold coin club. Finding my first gold ring was as memorable as a couple of my other firsts šŸ˜! At what depth were the majority of your gold coin finds? Have you ever had anyone ask for your autograph? Maybe sign a detector for gold luck? Do you prefer to hunt alone?

Let me know when and where and I'll see if we can meet up.

The other night I met a guy with a CTX. He says there was a guy gridding in front of the lifeguard tower, in the dry. Was that you at 3am near the hotel?:lol:

It honestly could have been I have met 3 people with the CTX one was a woman. I have found the dry in front of the hotel's gets refreshed daily. 3am I should have been in the wet as its low tide. I am running the 5x8 coil on my AT my foot print feels so tiny when I see everyone with their 15" coils. But it would be nice to hunt with someone. How many hours do you hunt for? Do you hunt daily?Do you have any coils for the AT? I am always looking to trade for more gear.

Back
Top Bottom