Silver? Found strange “ore”? In creek bottom

Nailfinder85

5fe3ecb299066a6d559400a26e72cf2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like melted Aluminum?....What does it weigh?

I’ll weight it in a few but it seems heavy for aluminum. Embedded with some rock and sediment. Seems like poorly smelted raw material, definitely an alloy of sorts.

I find a whole lot of those when I hit camp sites. Particularly around the fire pits. They even ACID test like silver but unfortunately its 99% of the time melter aluminum. I still have my first "Silver nugget" just cause how excited I was when I found it and couldn't bring myself to throw it away once I found out what it was. I'd take it to a jewler tho just incase. I've never found one in the creek. You never know....

I find a whole lot of those when I hit camp sites. Particularly around the fire pits. They even ACID test like silver but unfortunately its 99% of the time melter aluminum. I still have my first "Silver nugget" just cause how excited I was when I found it and couldn't bring myself to throw it away once I found out what it was. I'd take it to a jewler tho just incase. I've never found one in the creek. You never know....

I am relatively certain it’s not silver, however worth maybe having looked at at some point. Most excitement I can salvage out of it is aluminum smelting started in late 1800s. Could still be old. No junk or anything around it. If people were melting and junking cans in the area I’d think there would be lots more around[emoji2371] who knows, some of the adventure lies in the mystery I suppose. I’ll go back at some point and poke around for the nails and beer cans [emoji6]

My guess is that it's molten aluminum nuggets. We find them on beaches that allow beach-bonfires all the time. Born out of people who toss their aluminum cans on the campfires. Same for any place that has outdoor campfire BBQ pits: These nuggets get found.

And at first blush, they might *seem* too heavy to be aluminum. That's only because we are all so used to handling aluminum as it relates to cans (pressed very very thing). Or wadded up foil (which lacks density of truly being melted to singular glob). So if you super compress an aluminum pie tin or can(s) , it might seem "too heavy to be aluminum". But the truth is : Aluminum.

There was a fellow on the beach near me who found a bunch of those, convinced he had some sort of silver nuggets (since they appeared shiny). I could not dissuade him. He even had them assayed in a laboratory (for which he had to pay for their services). The verdict ? : Aluminum :roll:

I found one that looks very similar to that (especially the bottom part) in my yard....I kept it, but I don't think that it's anything other than slag....

I like it though...

My guess is that it's molten aluminum nuggets. We find them on beaches that allow beach-bonfires all the time. Born out of people who toss their aluminum cans on the campfires. Same for any place that has outdoor campfire BBQ pits: These nuggets get found.

And at first blush, they might *seem* too heavy to be aluminum. That's only because we are all so used to handling aluminum as it relates to cans (pressed very very thing). Or wadded up foil (which lacks density of truly being melted to singular glob). So if you super compress an aluminum pie tin or can(s) , it might seem "too heavy to be aluminum". But the truth is : Aluminum.

There was a fellow on the beach near me who found a bunch of those, convinced he had some sort of silver nuggets (since they appeared shiny). I could not dissuade him. He even had them assayed in a laboratory (for which he had to pay for their services). The verdict ? : Aluminum :roll:

You’re right.
Verdict; I’m at work today [emoji2371]

Maybe zinc anode from a boat used in salt water to prevent corrosion.

On the Florida Treasure coast it's possible to get space age grade aluminum/titanium alloys from exploded rocket debris. Some beach renourishment sand came from the Canaveral Shoals area at Port Canaveral where they dredge the harbor for cruise ships and submarine base. Some pawn shops have metal testers. Welders can determine the melting point of metals by gauging the electric amps needed to melt it and give a good estimate sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom