• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 600 submerged

Steve

Forum Supporter
Anyone hunt with a 600 submerged in saltwater? Noisy? Headphones? Saltwater up to chest deep.
Any insights would be great

Should be the same as the 800.
Beach2, lower the sensitivity if too chattery for you.
I was told that lowering the tone in the advance setting for the ferrous (iron) will also calm the chatter.
Of course the wired headphones are not waterproof, but if you keep them dry, they will be OK.
On some deep signals I will lower the sensitivity when the hole gets a foot deep to easy the exact target location. Don't forget to turn it back up after you retrieve the target.

I have noticed in salt water and some rivers I have needed to turn the ground balance on auto or ground tracking as it is sometimes called.

Ive got about 20 hours hunting chest deep with my 800. I have a set of phones made by Tony Eisenhower. When water splashes the control box, it makes a sound, but get the box submerged or keep it from the waves and it is fine. Once submerged, swinging it underwater is stable. It doesn't get the depth of the Excal. Maybe about the same as the CTX. Also, the unit drags in the water and is hard to swing compared to the Excal and other dedicated water machines, however, it is easier than the CTX.

The submerged screen is difficult to read even in clear water - useless in murky. So you go back to going by tones which I'm OK with. I've been learning to put faith in hunting in reverse discrimination on it. Much less chatter in all metal than in discriminate mode. I've found that I have to be cognizant when scooping targets not to hit the screen which seems to be in a bad position for me on that. I do feel the coil moves through the water easier and the larger grip is better on my hand.

The submerged screen is difficult to read even in clear water - useless in murky. So you go back to going by tones which I'm OK with. I've been learning to put faith in hunting in reverse discrimination on it. Much less chatter in all metal than in discriminate mode. I've found that I have to be cognizant when scooping targets not to hit the screen which seems to be in a bad position for me on that. I do feel the coil moves through the water easier and the larger grip is better on my hand.

I've had no issue reading the screen in clear freshwater even up to my chest/ neck. Murky water is a given that it will be difficult to read.

I use a modified adapter cable so it's waterproof on the box end and a cheap pair of swimming ear buds and have had no issues.

Great topic as I have the same issue.

I was told, by a friend to turn discrimination on while in water. I have been running Beach 2 with auto ground balance. I now know to also keep swing rate at 4. I dropped it to 2 or 3 to gain more depth. Waves and dips in the sandy bottom seem to trigger my false signals.

Steve .... its just like near surface minerals and flake iron. It reacts much like a dirt machine would when field hunting .... if you are running HOT it picks up HOT ROCKS. Well this picks up minerals in the water if to hot. You can turn it down...... sensitivity, higher recovery speed, slower sweep, lower iron balance or even reduce the iron volume to 2 and turn off the threshold. Realize ..... beach 2 is reduced power, you also have a salt setting....... so there comes a point you might as well be using an Xcal, CZ or CTX. It does seem to do a bit better on smaller gold. It also tend to wrap around iron/minerals into those lower positive digits when running hot. Thats time consuming. But things get pretty equal IN THE WATER. Out of the water its a BEAST.

Steve .... its just like near surface minerals and flake iron. It reacts much like a dirt machine would when field hunting .... if you are running HOT it picks up HOT ROCKS. Well this picks up minerals in the water if to hot. You can turn it down...... sensitivity, higher recovery speed, slower sweep, lower iron balance or even reduce the iron volume to 2 and turn off the threshold. Realize ..... beach 2 is reduced power, you also have a salt setting....... so there comes a point you might as well be using an Xcal, CZ or CTX. It does seem to do a bit better on smaller gold. It also tend to wrap around iron/minerals into those lower positive digits when running hot. Thats time consuming. But things get pretty equal IN THE WATER. Out of the water its a BEAST.
I ended up going with a different unit.

Back
Top Bottom