Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 02-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

Smile Three cent trime or three cent nickel.

How many have you found? If the answer is none why not? I would say your detector is set to discriminate them out, because they usually ID as trash. I tested a three cent trime on a V3 in coin mode... no sound was made. I would say smaller gold coins are the same, discriminated out on most detectors.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Elite Member

Just got a 3 Cent nickle this past Sunday.
I use a DIY TGSL with a DIY visual display. VDI read about 11-12 degrees phase shift which is close to large Foil (juice drink tops). But to me that is a DIG ME signal at an old Farm site.

I puzzle was I didn't know what it was until cleaning it at home since I never saw one before and didn't realize its the same diameter as a modern Dime but thinner.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
How many have you found? If the answer is none why not? I would say your detector is set to discriminate them out, because they usually ID as trash. I tested a three cent trime on a V3 in coin mode... no sound was made. I would say smaller gold coins are the same, discriminated out on most detectors.
I have NOT found a “trime” yet, they come in lower than I have disc set most times in the places I hunt, but I HAVE found an 1865 3 cent nickel, and they do indeed, as Waltr said, come in WAY low. The only reason I found it was that it was in the same hole as a highly conductive piece of junk. You’re absolutely right Graybeard, we walk past that stuff ALL the time. There are so many pieces of conductive junk in that range that we almost have to in order to be productive...unless we’re hunting a place where we’re digging anything non-ferrous.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Elite Member

Smile

On the Equinox 800 the three cent nickel reads either 7 or 8, and if I remember right the three cent trime reads 16. both of them read in with trash. For me the Equinox don't have enough ID numbers for hunting for them. The DFX, AT PRO and F75 LTD have a larger scale of ID numbers to separate them from trash.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Supporter

I have found several III nickles. No silver ones yet.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Elite Member

I have found a couple trimes, bunch of half dimes, and a couple fish scales.. no 3 cent nickels yet though. I don't run any discrimination if I can help it.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

I've found just one 3 cent silver trime, but it was in the same hole with a Seated Half dime. I've not found a nickel 3 cent piece yet. I keep the discrimination on my Spectrum XLT wide open (accepting +94 down to -17). If it's there, I want to hear it and see it (VDI) and be the one who decides to dig. I don't want my machine deciding for me.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger

Last edited by jimther; 02-14-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-22-2020, 05:49 PM

5 silver 3 cent pieces, 1 nickle 3 cent piece and 2 2.50 gold pieces ... 2 with vaquero, 3 with racer1 and the last 3 trimes with equinox 800. All sounded good or i would not have dug them...the only number I recall is the last trime with the nox came in 19 to 21 repeatable.

Sorry for all the numbers lol

Last edited by dirt weasel; 02-23-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

My buddy dug one right in front of me with the equinox. So I told him to throw it down and let me scan it with my AT Gold (Which was wearing the garrett 9x12 proformance coil at the time) and it would not make a peep over it. Only in all metal mode, as soon as I used any kind of discrimination, the garrett lost sight of the trime. I dont know what happened that day, but needless to say I switched machines no wonder I've never found one before

☆Oldest Coin FTY:17** KG2☆

Old 02-25-2020, 02:45 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
On the Equinox 800 the three cent nickel reads either 7 or 8, and if I remember right the three cent trime reads 16. both of them read in with trash. For me the Equinox don't have enough ID numbers for hunting for them. The DFX, AT PRO and F75 LTD have a larger scale of ID numbers to separate them from trash.
Some of my best silver coins have come in that range.