Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 02-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Supporter

Default ETRAC vs NOX -Owner Input Please

Well, it's been over 10 years since I joined MDF and I'm back for some advice. That being said, my last detector was a NOX 800 and we didn't get along. VDI was confusing at times, depth readout was off and the biggest thing was the ergonomics of the straight shaft design. I ended up with serratus muscle strain/pain after a full day of swinging and couldn't use it for a month.....crazy. So I sold the detector and now I'm back to my old Delta. All that aside, the Delta ain't cutting it and I'm thinking of getting an eTrac now. I know it's a heavier machine (approximately a pound more than an 800, if using a Lithium Ion battery pack), but for those of you that have used both machines, is it that big of a deal? I've swung a 4 pound detector before, without any issues, but for some reason the 3 pound NOX design hurt me. Can I get some user input? Thank you!

Old 02-02-2020, 01:01 PM
Supporter

Iím in the same camp with the Equinox, something about the ergonomics doesnít agree with me. I could swing the Etrac or CTX for 6-8 hours and leave with nothing but a tired arm, but the Equinox leaves my hand feeling like it was strapped to a table and beat with a hammer.

I got one of these, and it took away most of the pain for me. Not all, but 95 percent relief. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minelab-Equ...4AAOSwjVRdphDj

I originally made my own with a cut piece of a pool noodle, but the plastic 3d printed one is better. If I wasnít so lazy I just would have pulled up Fusion 360 or Tinkercad and made it myself, and still might make my own version to share with people.

With that said, I still miss the Etrac and keep waiting for the right used one to grab again. Or the CTX, but people are still asking high prices on those. I see many used CTX for close to $2000 and I paid $1700 new for mine.

The Equinox is my goto super trashy site detector, but still hasnít replaced others in the lineup. Various personalities in the detecting community will look down on someone for saying that, but who cares what others think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Chris said...ĒThe Equinox is my goto super trashy site detector, but still hasnít replaced others in the lineup. Various personalities in the detecting community will look down on someone for saying that, but who cares what others think.Ē

It canít be said better. An absolutely HONEST and UNBIASED opinion of performance will lead a person to REALITY. I love my CTX and Explorer2 and wouldnít trade them for anything. In certain situations and conditions, their performance absolutely stinks. But KNOWING that and accepting that no machine is perfect everywhere will allow you to make the changes that need to be made to find success. Thatís what we all want in the end...success.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Supporter

Default ETRAC vs NOX -Owner Input Please

To me, the Equinox feels a bit nose heavy. Not from the straight shaft design (which I prefer) but from the lack of weight at the elbow area. I can definitely feel it in my wrist after a few hours when using the stock coil. No problem at all when using the 6Ē coil. Etrac felt a little nose heavy as well IMO. Mostly due to the S shaft design, which Iím not a fan of. Even though itís heavier, to me the CTX feels best balanced of the bunch due to being a straight shaft design AND having the beefy battery pack situated under the elbow.

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
The Equinox is my goto super trashy site detector, but still hasnít replaced others in the lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+ 1
Thatís exactly how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM
Supporter

I donít own an 800, but have owned and used Etracs. They may be a bit faster, but do not have the depth capability that the older Explorers have. My Explorer 2 is my main rig and my ETrac is rarely used.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Supporter

Thanks for the input, my friends!

Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
I donít own an 800, but have owned and used Etracs. They may be a bit faster, but do not have the depth capability that the older Explorers have. My Explorer 2 is my main rig and my ETrac is rarely used.

You should sell your Etrac to me!!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Elite Member

Personally I really didnít care for the Etrac due to the weight, not being able to see the screen at times and causing arm & back fatigue. The Ctx balances so much better and the screen is a lot easier to see! But between the Etrac or Nox. I would choose the Nox.

I know you didnít mention it but have you thought about a Xp Deus or ORX? These machines are an absolute dream to swing! Good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by WyoTom View post
Personally I really didnít care for the Etrac due to the weight, not being able to see the screen at times and causing arm & back fatigue. The Ctx balances so much better and the screen is a lot easier to see! But between the Etrac or Nox. I would choose the Nox.

I know you didnít mention it but have you thought about a Xp Deus or ORX? These machines are an absolute dream to swing! Good luck with whatever you decide...
What he said.

beephead

Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Supporter

I'm a fan of DanB's Equinox stirrup strap idea. I made my own version a few months ago and haven't taken it off since.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277493

Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by WyoTom View post

What is your issue with the eTrac screen view? Angle, glare?

Old 02-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Supporter

Anyone running a Lithium battery pack in their eTrac/explorer? If so, can you tell that it's any lighter and how long is run time?

Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Supporter

+2

I like my NOX 800 for the lightness but the E-Trac had it where it counted. I would rather carry the added weight than deal with the changes on the NOX. I like it, but not as much as the E-Trac for those deep parks.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Detector View post
+2

I like my NOX 800 for the lightness but the E-Trac had it where it counted. I would rather carry the added weight than deal with the changes on the NOX. I like it, but not as much as the E-Trac for those deep parks.
I have this lithium battery pack. It uses 3-3000mah batteries and the holder was made by a guy in Ukraine using one of those printer doo-dads. All put together, it cost under $50. Honestly? I have never ran it down to get a length of hunt time. Maybe someone else has one to attest to the runtime. It's surely more than 30 hours.

The weight of the ML factory pack reads 8.85 oz. The Lithium pack weight is 6.56 oz.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by beephead View post
What he said.

beephead
What they said, my Etrac with the detech 13 inch coil, X1 probe, RNB battery and herke cuff weighs 6 pounds.

Probably the best coin detector (along with ctx) going but I don't swing it all day, still... I like and use em both

Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
I have this lithium battery pack. It uses 3-3000mah batteries and the holder was made by a guy in Ukraine using one of those printer doo-dads. All put together, it cost under $50. Honestly? I have never ran it down to get a length of hunt time. Maybe someone else has one to attest to the runtime. It's surely more than 30 hours.

The weight of the ML factory pack reads 8.85 oz. The Lithium pack weight is 6.56 oz.
Is the battery pack compatible with the ML wall charger, or do you use something different Martin?

Old 02-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by normx2 View post
What they said, my Etrac with the detech 13 inch coil, X1 probe, RNB battery and herke cuff weighs 6 pounds.

Probably the best coin detector (along with ctx) going but I don't swing it all day, still... I like and use em both
Hey Norm, good to hear form you....again! Does the coil upgrade matter much over the stock coil? Is there a specific coil that is most popular among FBS owners, other than the stock coil?

Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by medicchief View post
Is the battery pack compatible with the ML wall charger, or do you use something different Martin?
Separate charger for the 18650 batts. Sellers usually include one with batteries.

Fact of life is that Minelab's charger will never work with anything besides their sealed factory battery pack, so it you run any other batteries in their auxiliary battery packs, you are forced to have a separate battery charger.

Same thing with the RNB.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

Had both. Rehunted spots with Nox that I had pounded with the E-Trac. Found an amazing number of coins I missed. That sold me so I sold my E-Trac and bought another Nox.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Have you tried a harness?
I hunt with 2 guys that use a Nox. My Etrac often hits coins their Nox's can't see or will barely make a blip on (we do a LOT of side by side comparisons before digging).My Etrac rarely won't see a coin that their machines see. They both bought Etrac's after hunting with me but they often still use their Nox's in trashy areas and sometimes because of the weight.