Ever have an Oh CWAP, What was I Digging Moment?

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Today I was talking to Kevin about the WW1 practice bomb I was digging out of the clay last year and only pulled the back fins off of it. Well I brought them in the house today and noticed something NOT RIGHT about it.

I have found 5 practice bombs that I have dug up and kept. And in bringing in this tail section off my porch and putting it next to one of the practice bombs, I discovered something interesting!

Anybody else see it? So what exactly was I digging up last year? Another different type of practice bomb or the real deal? I don't know how to find out without digging the rest of it out of the clay!

I have it marked on my GPS to go back and get the rest of it, but now I am not sure if I want to!

Hmmmm...I don't think I'd want to tempt fate but after a while curiosity would get the best of me and I'd go back and get the rest! Super cool finds though. No many people can say they went detecting and found some vintage bombs.:lol:

Hmmmm...I don't think I'd want to tempt fate but after a while curiosity would get the best of me and I'd go back and get the rest! Super cool finds though. No many people can say they went detecting and found some vintage bombs.:lol:

Not many folks can say they found a lot of crazy stuff that I have. I have to do some research on if there were different variations of the Mark 1 bomb that were used in practice. I only have found 5 of the small cone ones. I might take the picture to Selfridge ANG base and see if they have anyone that can tell me about this new critter.

I really do not want to dig up a live one.

Not many folks can say they found a lot of crazy stuff that I have. I have to do some research on if there were different variations of the Mark 1 bomb that were used in practice. I only have found 5 of the small cone ones. I might take the picture to Selfridge ANG base and see if they have anyone that can tell me about this new critter.

I really do not want to dig up a live one.

Hopefully they have an EOD unit there; they should. They'd be the ones to help.

I just carried them, I didn't drop them.:cool:

Hopefully they have an EOD unit there; they should. They'd be the ones to help.

I just carried them, I didn't drop them.:cool:

I shot off an email to the Michigan State police today and to Selfridge ANG base ordnance department with pictures. Hopefully one will know. if it is live it needs to be removed from where it is at. It is a major party spot!

I'd be leaving those babies in the mud, unless there was a gold ring or chain under them....

Just give Mud Puppy a snorkle and a big screwdriver. He'll go pop it right out of there, just tell him there is fresh road kill that flew into the lake trapped under it.

Just no, no, no, hell no, I'd not be going back anywhere near it, the only 'BOOM' I wanna hear is in my headphones, from a large lump of gold! Besides, if I went and got myself killed by a bomb I'd never hear the end of it from my wife... :)

I'd be leaving those babies in the mud, unless there was a gold ring or chain under them....

I actually want to get the ones I have professionally redone and give to my grandsons. Not everyone can say they got a bomb from 1916 given to them by their grandfather.

I haven't heard from the State Police or the Selfridge ANG ordnance folks yet. No hurry. Not going back for at least a month. Possibly not going back for the rest of this critter at all!

Back
Top Bottom