Found by lighthouse beach. For fastening pipes together??

DaddyandQueen

I found this in the Racine area on the beach where there is a lighthouse nearby. It has lines on top and bottom. But if there is a pattern on the side i cant determine. Looks like could be decorative but hard to tell. Something tells me this held pipes together like a smaller railing or similar.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 711
To me it looks like a well rusted pipe nipple. Maybe 1/2". I've never had a fishing rod that had a "reel holder?" with male threads on both ends. I can't imagine any of them being made of steel or iron either! That would be a one sturdy setup!

To me it looks like a well rusted pipe nipple. Maybe 1/2". I've never had a fishing rod that had a "reel holder?" with male threads on both ends. I can't imagine any of them being made of steel or iron either! That would be a one sturdy setup!

I don't think they're threads. I think they're concentric rings for decoration. Don't think its iron either. Hopefully we'll get more info on that. Many of those rings were made of pot metal, brass and aluminum.

Fairly common for rods set up for certain types of reels....where the reel hangs under the rod...usually with cork handle on the rod, two of these allow the user to position the reel on the handle for the particular user's comfort.

Ill check if it attracts magnets. My daughter took collections of finds to school for show n tell. I check on weds. Thanks for input!

I'm not agreeing with the fishing rod ( reel seat ring) idea...

I've been interested with fishing and it's history, and tackle for a long time..

Any ring from a rod, from pretty much any time frame, would be made from anything but steel, which, that item above looks like it would attract a magnet...

<°)))>{

Also never seen a pot metal one either..

Aluminum, or brass only..

<°)))>{
Well, I don't wish to be argumentative but I as well have been a very serious angler for the last 50 years. Conventional tackle and fly fishing. From Florida to Maine. Equal amounts of time in each method. The last 25 years I've been a professional fly fishing guide and instructor. I was running ten to twelve offshore tuna fly fishing trips a year and littoraly over 50 stripper/blues/false albacore trips a year. I've also collected vintage tackle for the last 30 years, lures, reels and rods. Having been so involved in the industry, I've seen, found and been offered many "old rods" by friends and clients. Quite often, particularly in the brine, I've seen reel seat rings, locking rings, threaded rings etc "rotting" off rods. Not aluminum, certainly not brass. If not actually "pot metal" then perhaps zinc or the like. As I said, rotting, not rusting. I'd say mostly rods from the sixties era.

Hey, I'm not even sure what that thing is, not insisting on anything. We may never know. Just saying that cheaper rods used a chrome plated metal ring/rings that where not of brass or steel and rots like pot metal.

I'm not agreeing with the fishing rod ( reel seat ring) idea...

I've been interested with fishing and it's history, and tackle for a long time..

Any ring from a rod, from pretty much any time frame, would be made from anything but steel, which, that item above looks like it would attract a magnet...

<°)))>{

X2

I was a pipe fitter for a long time and I am 99.9 % sure that that is a nipple. 1/2 or 3/4 " pipe. It has just been in the ground a while and quite rusted

I found this in the Racine area on the beach where there is a lighthouse nearby. It has lines on top and bottom. But if there is a pattern on the side i cant determine. Looks like could be decorative but hard to tell. Something tells me this held pipes together like a smaller railing or similar.
Update. Unfortunately my daughter left this at her moms house, so i wont be able to check if magnetic.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom