What do you mark your targets with?

I'm not marking anything, I'm digging there and then:lol:...If I'm hunting with someone and it's a target that needs a second opinion, then I'll either use a screwdriver or whatever's laying around. The target will be deep, so a screwdriver won't hurt it...

i've used the orange gold tee's as well and they work great! :yes: on occasion, depending on time limitations, i'll maybe do a bit of scanning in the back yard, mark my targets with the tee's and then do the digging later on when i have the time.
for my general hunting, i usually have my plastic sheet and digger in one hand, detector in the other and when i locate a target, i'll lay my digger on the ground with the tip pointing at where i pin pointed my target.
then after i kneel down, set the detector off to the side and get the pin pointer ready, i'll move the digger and scan the surface with the PP'er before i'll even start digging. scanning with the PP'er first will help you determine the size and depth of the item. if i don't get any initial beeps out of the PP'er, then i know it's probably a smaller item and at least several inches deep and i'll cut the size of my "U" accordingly. i know that might sound like a lot of extra trouble, but on privately owned manicured lawns, it really helps to keep the digging minimal. :yes:

Pete

I dont mark anything, just keep my eyes on the spot and starting to digg.

I mark them with my vision and stare at it until I dig. I'll put my shoe toe at-it sometimes. Basically though, I see the spot and keep focus, laydown the detector and get after it. martin
this is how I do it also,,,

I dig each item as I go. If I have multiple items close together I will reach down and slice my digger in to start the first cut of my plug, then do the same for all items close together. Now when you crouch down, you can clearly see where each plug is started and just dig each item. Any item found on top with PP can just be removed without cutting plug.

I dont mark anything , I pinpoint with the detector and dig. Im not sure what point there is in marking the spot ????

wooden golf ball tees of assorted colors that i have standardized for my needs. sometimes i change it up and mark all my potential areas with a certain color. Say like red for penny signals, blue for silver, etc. then I go back and dig select targets. This allows me to scan an area and go back and dig up the targets in ranking order. I don't do it this way very often unless I have a large area and plenty of time. usually done in parks or fields where everything stays visible.

Hi All :tiphat:

I use white wooden golf tees mostly, yellow or blaze-orange if I have them.

TIP:
Since I've been hunting with my Tesoro Compadre that has the 5.75 solid coil, I use a golf tee in the following manner....... I use the Compadre to accurately pinpoint the target and then hold the coil motionless over the target with one hand. With my other hand I hold the Tee, point down, an inch or so above the coil where I got the best return signal, i.e. the "Hot Spot". Next I very carefully slide the coil out from under the Tee and then push the Tee straight down into the ground.....Voila !....Spot marked accurately !

Remember, don't forget to remove the Tee from your plug ! Been there, done that. :doah:

ToddB64

Last edited:
I would use a plactic cap from a milk jug, just drop it in the center of the coil

Ditto, except I use a soda bottle cap with the side cut off so it's flat. I used to use the sight method, but always got distracted and missed the target. I'll mark it, confirm the mark is centered on the taget, then retrieve. I have a sack of plastic poker chips I was going to use, too. Curt

I did this in the when was I first started using a new detector. It's also a cool way to detect the yard and mark all of the targets then go back and dig them up. I would use certain colors of tees for specific target numbers.

I use the wooden golf tees and painted the head with orange or turquoise blue nail polish.

markers

The bottles of water people buy have a small thinner cap than other drinks and they are white. Since I find them laying all over the place I usually pick a few up and carry them in my pouch and use them for marking. When I walk to a bench or picnic table to relax and have a cigarette and drink an Iced tea I always locate a couple targets near the bench/table and mark them for after my break.... Good Luck and Happy Hunting....

. It's also a cool way to detect the yard and mark all of the targets then go back and dig them up. .

That would be about the only reason I could see for physically marking a spot.

Usually you can pick out something already there at the spot , a bare patch , stone, stick , blade of grass or whatever to remind you where your spot is if you are digging right away , anything that will get you within a few inches of where the target is.

I tried that using twigs or other things laying around... But if you are digging a few targets then go back, it is hard to find them. They blend in or sometimes I would step on them and miss my targets.

Normally I don't use them but if I have a certain amount of time to dig the yard, I will so I can go back without the MD. My kids play in the yard and will run over my detector with their tractors if I don't put it away.
If you're not carrying your Lesche or digger in your hand you can lose sight of the target so I understand how you might need to use them. Until you get the drill down, go ahead and use the golf tees. :D HH

I dont mark anything , I pinpoint with the detector and dig. Im not sure what point there is in marking the spot ????

Maybe I'm too easily distracted.

I try to "mark" the spot mentally, but in the few seconds I look away to lay down the detector and pull out the digging tool, I often forget exactly where the hit was centered - that one spot of grass looks like all of the others. Then I either have to dig a bigger plug or pick up the MD, put on the earphones, stand up and try again.

Now I mark the center of the hit with a wood chip or twig, and I find I'm digging smaller plugs and saving time.

Golf tees are a good idea for markers - I'll have to throw a handful into my bag.

Back
Top Bottom