Simplex Odd Behavior.....

Dodge92

This afternoon no problem at all. Took it back out to the yard this evening for a few minutes before dark. Turn it on and it goes crazy in Park 2 without even ground balancing. Beach and all metal mode not as bad. Field not as bad. Park 1 bad but a little less than Park 2. Turned machine off and back on. Same issue. This is even holding the machine with the coil well off the ground away from any metal and happening whether I ground balance or not. Same place I detected earlier with no issues. Any idea why this happens? (pinpointer was turned off and I didn't have my cell with me). Thanks.

Mine did that last weekend, I unscrewed and reconnected the coil connector even though it did not seem loose. That fixed it.

Mine did that last weekend, I unscrewed and reconnected the coil connector even though it did not seem loose. That fixed it.

Thanks. I took it down to basement and turned on and was still doing it. Turned off and back on and now is OK. Not sure what the deal is. I did check the coil connection and was tight but if it does it again will try your suggestion.

Dodge92: said:
Same issue. This is even holding the machine with the coil well off the ground away from any metal and happening whether I ground balance or not.
You want to have the search coil close to the ground, an inch or two, in a normal search height. Holding a coil in the air, waist level or higher, can make it much more susceptible to EMI sources.

Do you have a 2nd search coil or know someone with a Simplex + to try their coil and see if it might be a search coil related issue? I hope you get things resolved because the Simplex + is a really good detector. Both of mine, with different coils mounted, are working just fine.

Monte

Thanks. I took it down to basement and turned on and was still doing it. Turned off and back on and now is OK. Not sure what the deal is. I did check the coil connection and was tight but if it does it again will try your suggestion.

Just curious what firmware version you are running?

You want to have the search coil close to the ground, an inch or two, in a normal search height. Holding a coil in the air, waist level or higher, can make it much more susceptible to EMI sources.

Do you have a 2nd search coil or know someone with a Simplex + to try their coil and see if it might be a search coil related issue? I hope you get things resolved because the Simplex + is a really good detector. Both of mine, with different coils mounted, are working just fine.

Monte

Hi Monte - I mentioned holding the detector up just to show that is was happening everywhere not just like at one spot on the ground. This is the second time this has happened - both times resolved themselves but I have never felt comfortable with that "fixed themselves" solution whether we are talking about detectors, cars, smart phones or whatever LOL. I don't have another coil or any detector friends out here......Thanks.

If it's not an EMI issue then it's most likely a problem with your coil. You need to test it at good distance away from EMI sources like homes or power lines. If it still acts up then contact Nokta and send it in for repairs.

I'm running the 2.78 firmware on mine and it performs very well and I've had no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom