Any tips or help for MD in the Mountains of Colorado please

shaggnastie

Forum Supporter
Need some tips/advice on mountain MD

Ok folks me and the wife will be going to Colorado(between Silverton & Ouray) in 3 weeks. I am new to the hobby and have been reading and reading as much as I can. Anyone know of certain BOOKS/Mags that might have specific info on mountain detecting? I bought a Garrett AT Pro and am still learning it. I am using Standard Mode and will be trying to keep it simple to try to have some success. I bought the AT Pro be able to Ground Balance in the High mineral soil in that area(as well as the beach in a couple of months).

So what are some things that I need to try, know, be aware of etc. Do I need to look at the color of the ground/dirt? Maybe the color of the water/streams? Do I need to look for certain landmarks like waterfalls, old trees,rock formations, walls in the middle of nowhere etc etc? Anyone know or have any idea?

I am going to md around the cabin as it is an Old ghost town as is. The owner of the cabin(which is on a mining claim that he has bought) has three different mining claims that I am asking for permission to MD on.

One thing that I need some advice on is ----- can I ? or How can I Detect some of the flowing stream there. With the AT Pro being waterproof I would like to try. I have a Jeep and will be pretty far back in the back country so I was thinking that that might be a GREAT chance.

Thanks in advance for any and all info/advice pertaining to the trip or machine or me or rules or just whatever :)

you guys and gals have a great forum .. love it

thanks, Bobby

Bobby: I am NO expert on the AT Pro but most detectors have smaller, specialized coils that will detect nuggets and smaller gold amounts easier than the larger, standard 8 - 10" coils that come with the machine when you buy it. You may want to check into that on the Garrett website if you intend to look for gold nuggets, IMHO:o) Best of luck to ya and have a great time MDing. Watch out for dangerous wildlife and/or snakes when detecting in the mountains.

I would like to check for nuggets in the streams, But mostly I an interested in coins & relics of the days of yesteryear ....
Smaller coil is on the list of stuff to get along with a pinpointer

Thanks for the advice

I'd say watch out for fire...my son goes to CU so im planning on going out there and taking my baby along with me....seen some nice places there, usually go through estes park and up into the mountains....some nice rivers and lakes to check out if they let you ...too many forest guards out there...lol

Back
Top Bottom