Roman Sestertius FOUND

Karletto

My dear colleagues

My first entry in this section...
Today i went searching on local grass and maintained field near a road between local villages - like 5 miles from romans Tergeste - todays Triest in northen Italy. After an hour my ACE 250 beeps very high almost full right on the scale! Started digging and 2-3 inches below there it was!

The condition of the coin i believe would be good to very good. You can identify it for sure. Next week i will report it to national museum and ask for permission to keep it. Fingers crossed.

I am so excited almost asthma symptoms! I promise i won't be twating against areas and fields with "no history behind" ever. :D
I mean 2000 years old - can you imagine how many armies went by!
I wonder what could they buy with it in those days...

movi1017.jpg

movi1020.jpg

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s3195.html

I would need a clearer picture of the coin to be sure, but it appears to be either Trajan or Hadrian, so it would either be late 1st century or early 2nd century AD.

-- Tom

thankx to you all.
Yes the law is very different here in Europe as in the USA. After 2008 my country copied EU law which says that i shouldn't even touch an archeological find and that in 24 hours i should inform local or national museum about my find. Basically everything that's 100 years old or more is not your property! There are some tricks to less than 100 year old finds too...
Anyway you should declare it, ask for permission or ask for "money back" (10% or something) etc.
I am talking 400 EUR fine at minimum.

But there are some of course from the opposition that say it's a free country and this thing doesn't count at all...

thankx to you all.
Yes the law is very different here in Europe as in the USA. After 2008 my country copied EU law which says that i shouldn't even touch an archeological find and that in 24 hours i should inform local or national museum about my find. Basically everything that's 100 years old or more is not your property! There are some tricks to less than 100 year old finds too...
Anyway you should declare it, ask for permission or ask for "money back" (10% or something) etc.
I am talking 400 EUR fine at minimum.

But there are some of course from the opposition that say it's a free country and this thing doesn't count at all...

We have the same type of laws in the US... :hide:

Nice find!

I user hope our laws don't get that tight.. However the progressives are attacking our gold prospecting rights from every angle and most cities officially do not allow you to metal detect in the cut-grass areas which is where all the goodies are...

Congrats on the find.. if you get paid for it then 400 Euro's is good! I sell most of my jewelry that I find..

Back
Top Bottom