Can anybody ID the make and model of this car?

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
The low-life driving this piece of !!!! stole my cell phone out of my truck today. I lost thousands of photographs and videos. I am absolutely devastated. It happened at 5 p.m. yesterday afternoon, it is now 5 in the morning and I have not been to sleep yet. I've been driving around all night looking for this stupid freaking car.I got the crime recorded on video, but I did not get a tag number. I looked at a bunch of pictures of older Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishi's, and Nissan's, but none of them seem to match this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. South Florida sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 328
Sorry. Having something stolen is terrible. If I had to guess, I think that is an early 2000's Toyota Carolla. Not sure though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180706-074929_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180706-074929_Samsung Internet.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 313
not sure of the make but the missing front passenger hubcap should help if you are iffy when you find a similar car in your search of the streets.

Sorry to hear about your loss.. for me THIEVES are the lowest of the low.

It may have been easier to identify in another state, like VA, which requires front and back license plates. Unfortunately, FL only requires a rear plate.

Good luck.

-- Tom

It looks more Lexus or possibly Acura to me.
Dirty rotten thieves, I hope you can catch them or at least get your phone back.

See if any of your local TV news stations will air that video and ask for people to call if they recognize that vehicle.

We occasionally see TV stations here air videos of cars or perps and ask if anyone recognizes them to call.

Can't hurt to ask !

Hope you can get it recovered.

Also, I wonder if the police could track the location if the number was called ?

here's a 2000 toyota camry grill - might be a possibility:

Attachments

• 2000 camry grill.jpg
    2000 camry grill.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 233
It sure looks like a 2000-01 Toyota Camry.
In 1999 and 2002, the grille did not have the chrome accent trim.
It also appears that your "friend" is missing the right front turn signal lens in addition to his hubcap:yes:

Thanks for all the help. The car is a late 90s Toyota Camry. I found it, and got my phone back. One hell of a story. I'll post it in a day or two.

This past Thursday, I was working on a house in my neighborhood, prepping it for a paint job. The house is on a corner lot. I was working on the side of the house that faces the side street. My truck was parked on the swale, about 15 feet away from where I was working. At around 5 p.m. I heard a car door slam. I look out to the street, and there was a car pulling away that was on the other side of my truck. Something did not feel right. I have a topper on my truck, and the back window was open and the tailgate was down. I ran over to the bed to see if anything was missing. My phone was my biggest concern but I was not sure if I had locked it in the cab or if I hid it under some rags with my keys. My keys were still there. Why would somebody steal my phone and not my keys? I could still see the car driving away and I was torn between jumping in my truck and chasing the car, or looking for my phone first. Because I misplace my phone so often, I decided to look for it. After about 30 seconds I could not find it and jumped in my truck and try to find the car. It was gone. No tag. No make or model. I think it was silver. I was already beating myself up for not having jumped in my truck and follow the car. I flew back to my job and asked a neighbor to call the sheriff. A friend of mine lives across the street from where this happened. He had cameras on his house and got the whole thing on video. But no tag number. The guy stole a bag of hand tools, a sander that I had just bought that day, and my phone. The video shows him driving by one way first, casing out my truck, then coming back the other way. He stops in the middle of the road right beside my truck, gets out and while standing on the driver side of my truck so that he has blocked from my view he reaches his arm into my bed and starts feeling around for stuff to steal. That is the only reason he got my phone, because it was buried under some rags. And that is why he missed my keys, because he was reaching blindly. He did all of this while I was 20 feet away with my back to him. In broad daylight.
My phone. Let me try to put into context the magnitude of the loss of my phone being stolen. Of course, it would be devastating for anybody to lose their cell phone. It is so much more than just a phone anymore. My phone had over 5,000 photos and videos on it. The vast majority of the photos and videos are of a single little girl. This little girl,Violet, came into my life when she was just 6 months old, and anybody who knows me personally, knows this little girl is the most important thing in the world to me. We have an incredible, incredible relationship. The loss was absolutely devastating. I felt like a part of her had been kidnapped.
After law enforcement did their thing, I ran home and took a shower, and then went and got a new phone. I had anxiety so bad I could not go home. I kept driving around looking for the car. My friend sent me a still shot of the car to my new phone. I drove around for about 10 hours in my area going up and down the same streets over and over, and through all the parking lots of any apartment buildings. The car was an older Camry that appeared to be silver-blue with both front hub caps missing and the turn signal lens on the right side was broken. It should stand out right? Wrong. I started seeing older camrys, and they all seem to have front hub caps missing. By the time it starting getting light out, I was exhausted so I went home to get a little sleep. After about 2 hours, I downed an espresso and hit the road again. I figured that if there was any chance for me to get this phone back it was going to be within the first 24 hours. If I could find the car, the guy might still have the phone with him. Beyond that, it would probably be futile. I was on a mission. I knew I was going to find the car, because I would never ever stop looking for it. I just needed to find it before the guy got rid of my phone. I was already planning how I was going to destroy this guys life if I did not get my photos back. I spent the whole day Friday in my neighborhood driving around and staking out intersections, looking for that car. I also knocked on every door that had a camera on the house trying to get a better shot of the car with a tag number. You guys would not believe how many older camrys or on the road that have front hub caps missing. They are everywhere. After this, I will be seeing them for the rest of my life. By early Friday evening I had still not seeing the car. Violet came to visit me this weekend, so I had to put off my search for a little bit. She was the only thing that could take my mind off of this nightmare. On Saturday morning I got a chance to go out for about an hour and look. I came across and older Camry that looked just like the one in the video except it might have been a little lighter in color. I know how monitors and digital cameras can mislead regarding the color of an object so I thought this could possibly be the car. As I was following it, I see the deputies who took the report driving towards me. I flag them, and ask them if they can pull over the car in front of me to see if it might be the guy. They said the car was too light and they said that they cannot just pull over anybody like that without probable cause. Frustrated, I continue to follow the car until it pulled up to a house. The guy got out and did not match the description of the guy in the video. This was not the car. Discouraged and starting to lose hope, I went back to my house to hang out with Violet for a while. She was going to a party with her aunt in the early afternoon and that would give me more time to go out and search. After Violet left, I got in my truck and drove down to the end of my street. Lo and behold there's an older Camry with front hub caps missing, in the parking lot of the neighborhood park. A guy gets out of the car and looks like he could be the guy in the video. When I had watched the video, I really did not focus on what the guy looked like because the car was the thing I was looking for.. I just knew he was black and had a buckwheat haircut. This guy was black and had a buckwheat haircut. The car looked identical except for the color. This one was pure silver and the one in the video looked like it had blue in it. I drove down to the corner of the park and pulled over. I saw that he had noticed my truck. I was about 200 feet away from him. I sat there and watched him for about 10 minutes, and took some pictures. It looked like he was getting ready to leave, so I turned around and started heading towards him. He pulled out of the park and headed towards me. Our paths crossed and I whipped my truck around to follow him. He stopped his car in the middle of the road and got out and asked me what I was doing. I got out of my truck it said, I got robbed yesterday and your car looks like the car in the video and you look like the guy in the video. He walks up to me and starts to explain why it is not him. I play along with him, and told him I believed him. I told him I did not want to press charges and I did not even want my tools back, I just wanted my phone, and I would pay $500 to get it back, no questions asked. He said he knows everything that goes on in the neighborhood, and he knows the guy who buys all of that stuff like that that comes up. I gave him my phone number, shook his hand and thanked him for helping me. I told him to call me if he saw the car or found my phone. He fell right into my trap. About an hour later he calls me saying he has two phones. We set up to meet at a gas station. I had deputies go ahead of me and detain him. I showed up and the deputies handed me two phones and asked me if one was mine. One looked like mine. I turned it on and all of a sudden there was the image of little Violet sitting in the spare tire in the back of my truck. I got my phone back. I could not believe it. The guy was charged with dealing in stolen property, a second-degree felony that carries 15 years in prison. If the guy did not get out of his car and confront me, I would have never gotten my phone back. It turns out he had a stolen tag on his car, and the number would have done me no good anyway. This worked out the only way it could have worked out. I am not out of the woods yet though. He did a factory reset on my phone and deleted most of the photos. But from what I have heard and read, it is possible and likely that I am going to get my photos back. I have an Android and a Google account and a portion of my stuff was saved in the cloud, but most of it was gone. Lesson learned.
Now when people ask me what is the best thing I ever found, I'm going to say a late 90s Toyota Camry with front hub caps missing.:D

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_181521.jpg
    IMG_20180708_181521.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Resized_20160903_004014.jpg
    Resized_20160903_004014.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20180710_095122.jpg
    IMG_20180710_095122.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Way to go! I had someone stealing from my work vehicle one day. When he saw me fixing to lay him out with a shovel he threw everything back in the vehicle. I told him he didnt realize how close he came to remembering me every time he tried walking:laughing:

Wow, that was some scenario ! :shock: so glad you get your phone back !

We used to live in a big city and got in the habit of locking our vehicles even if we were just going into a convenience store for 5 minutes, even though we now live in a small town where the crime risk is much lower it's still a habit we continue just to be on the safe side.

It's a shame nowadays people have to be that cautious, not that crime didn't happen back in the 50's and 60's but I've had someone tell me back then they didn't even feel the need to lock their doors at night.

Glad to hear you got most of your stuff back thanks god for the Cloud.
Looks like a precious little sidekick you have there and she is lucky to have someone who loves her so much in her life !

on a side note.. Put a Pirates hat on your bandit and he looks a little like your Avatar :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom