Att. Kansas Hunters

booker

Forum Supporter
Had a great time out there today. Be nice I think to have a hunt maybe once a month. Again this isnt for just the Ks hunters anyone close by who would like to hunt is welcome. This is just an idea maybe this is too much? throw it around and decuss. I am open for ideas on where to hunt or how often. If you have a place you think we can get into let us know. Again just a idea to see what we can get going. TC--Mike

I can't promise I'll make it every month, but I'll try. I had a great time. So who do we raid next? :lol:

Can anyone tell me about Lehunt Kansas. Do you know of anyone thats hunted there? I don't think we would have to worry about the principal running us out. But you might watch out for this feller named Bohr :D

Maybe if we each give some info on the towns we live in or around us we can get some ideas. I gave some info on Emporia at the hunt today with the older parks here in town. Also to the north of me about 7miles is the town of Americus. This town began around 1850 and has a park around the size of YC the park was began bout 1890 if I remember right.
Also to the west of me is Strong City and Cottonwood Falls both old towns.Then there is Elmdale which is close to a ghost town now.
South of SC and CF is Cassoday which is an old cowboy town and has an old school which I think but not sure is no longer going. They also hold motorcycle rallies during the summer each month.
Americus also has an old high school but now is a grade school only.They sitll have a football field that look like it needs to be hunted;)

Anyone else have some info ?

I have tons of maps and research info. No doubt I can find Lehunt. Doesn't sound like it's very far from where I am. As for other ideas, I have a few, but I'll let others chime in this time.;)

Can anyone tell me about Lehunt Kansas. Do you know of anyone thats hunted there? I don't think we would have to worry about the principal running us out. But you might watch out for this feller named Bohr :D

I found it. Part of it looks to be part of the Elk City State Park. Not sure about detecting laws in state parks in Kansas. BTW, this town does not show on my 1905 map of that area and there are few houses there on that map. However I did see a few spot there that I've wanted to hunt in the past. ;)

keep me posted

Keep me posted of any events, that's for sure.
LeHunt??? All I can tell you is that it's haunted... :D :roll:
Dusty Eagle

A friend of mine was out parking with his lady there one night and the Nohr dude he claims came up knocking on his window. Myself and others tried to get him to us down there and no way would he :lol: Wussy boy

Seeker will let you know when we get another hunt going. I off a email to the Ks state parks to get a ruling.

Booker,
This is a little out dated but it may help.

Kansas State Parks & Wildlife....use of metal detectors
Posted by: KeithWills on Jan 12, 2006 - 06:36 AM

Below you will read a message from Steve Stackhouse - Director of Law Enforcement of Kansas Parks and Wildlife. This is finally someone that understands our side of the story and is obviously intelligent, as you will read. This document is more defense for us opening our state parks here in Texas and other areas. It will be included to all those we face in the fight to open our parks. Yet the document includes even more than that; for it lays ground work for other agencies to determine what is "excavation" that would destroy plant life or natural resources in the defended use of our hobby. Keith Wills

To: carolyn
Date: Thursday, January 22, 1988 8:25 AM
Subject: Metal Detectors

Dear Ms Ware:
Thanks for you inquiry concerning the legal use of metal detectors on
public properties. The Department regulates lands in state parks and
wildlife areas. If you plan to use a metal detector on other public lands
you will need to check with the appropriate agency (primarily this would be
Corps of Engineers properties and Bureau of Reclamation properties around
federal reservoirs).

There are no department regulations directly prohibiting the use of metal
detectors on the lands we administer. There is a regulation prohibiting:
digging of holes or pits; destruction of geologic formations, historical
sites, archeological relics or ruins; and the destruction of vegetation.
This regulation would prevent someone from digging up areas, tearing up
vegetation or defacing property to locate metal objects.

A conservative approach to retrieving metal finds would be in order. It
would be impractical for me to determine if a 3" hole or 6" hole would be
legal or illegal...simply: a small hole dug to retrieve a metal object
where the vegetation wasn't destroyed and the hole was filled back in
(wouldn't be a "hole" if it was filled in, right?) would not violate the
law. To try and make a gray area clearer: Kansas has the least amount of
public land in the country, and our department is responsible for a portion
of that- the intent of our regulation is to prevent destruction of that
resource. That doesn't prohibit use of metal detectors, but requires
responsible use.

It appears that you are well versed in regulations concerning this
activity. If you have further concerns, please feel free to contact me or
the public lands manager at the particular area you are wanting to use a
metal detector.
Thanks.

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Steve A. Stackhouse, Director, Law Enforcement Division
512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67124

Here is the link to the site that I got this from Kansas State Parks & Wildlife....use of metal detectors

I thought it might help.

- Dave

Thanks Dave! Sounds like dig but be careful. I have talked with the corp before and they told me no prob.

that's the letter..

That's the letter that I have a copy of too. But for some reason, mine is dated 1998. I called the State office and the Cedar Bluff Park office before I went on my hunt for my ring. One key note about the letter, is that I understand Steve Stackhouse is no longer the Director of the Law Enforcement Division.
The State Office Manager basically gave me the "no problem mding..but no digging". He strongly suggested calling each governing park office for any of the state parks. ie. Cedar Bluff Park. The Cedar Bluff Park manager agreed to the statements written in letter and told my digging should not destroy ANY vegetation. But for what we found, regardless of where we hunted, I would question whether it would be worth hunting based on daily or annual park permits, camping permits, etc.
I kind of like the looks or sounds of some of these places mentioned earlier. I've been trying to organize some hunting locations in Ness County, especially since I lived there. But I had NEVER heard of Francis, Kansas until now!
Of course, I have thought about doing some snorkel diving at the State Park Lakes this year.. but I need an underwater detector! (what digging? :D)
Dusty Eagle

Back
Top Bottom