New, Live near civil war site.

manganos

Hey all, I'm intrested in getting into the hobby but don't want to spend big bucks on a MD. I have a very OLD Whites detector but I'm not sure if it is even worth trying out. I've got some land here in Dinwiddie, VA (1800 acres to hunt between me and my neighbor) and it backs right up to Five Forks Battlefield. I've found numerous arrowheads and one of my neighbors has found 1000's of civil war relics on the property. From cannon balls, to whole guns, pins, coins and of course mini balls, belt buckles etc.. Where do I start? I'm willing to have someone come out to the house to show me the ropes?! I'll also need a decent used MD. Maybe someone has one they wouldn't mind getting rid of. Thanks and I look forward to finding things on my own property!!!

Don't sell the old Whites short, as if it works, it should work ok to try. You can probably download a manual from the www.whiteselectronics.com and then click on support and then manuals. Would love to be closer as I could show you a lot plus I have a Whites stable of MD. You are sitting on a gold mine of stuff and to hunt 1800 acres, that will take some time and I mean years. :grin:
pop

Well darn. I just went out to one of the barns and I can't find that old Whites detector. I did manage to find a Bounty Hunter 840 that someone had given me in order to pay off a $10 debt from loosing a game of billards :lol: . Hopefully I'll buy a new detector soon and get out there and have some fun. The offer still stands for anyone close by to come show me how to do this and find some stuff for yourself.

Lol, hey I'd fly down from Oregon, but I have to work :(

And Im not a big experienced MD'er :(

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. When the weather gets nicer........................
pop

Yeah I am pretty lucky. I see a whole lot of guys are using the Garrett 250. I'm am trending towards purchasing that model since it is inexpensive and I'm not sure what to expect to find. I was talking to an old timer (I'm 28 ) that has lived out here for 60 years or so and he told me that the end of my 1/4 mile driveway (gravel/dirt/old bricks) there used to be an old Civil War Post Office. The old farm house that was there burned down and I saw plenty of proof when I used my backhoe to dig some holes. I found a bunch of old nails. I cut a tree down in the back yard that was dying. When I cut it I found 3 miniballs in the tree!!! I can't wait to start swinging. Heck, there are a lot of areas around here to check out. Old church sites, VERY old school houses etc..

Back
Top Bottom