Thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71

I believe so. I think the update only added VCO on and off and changed the way the pinpointer works.

I think they'll be around $50.

Yep, its already built in, look under your audio setting.
It's the module I prefer over the one's built into the headphones for various reasons.

I saw that already,,just checking to see if new version affected.

Donsell thanks for the info on module.

Off to the races.

Tough site,,but hey it's metal detecting.

My receiver arrived today... Finally no broken wires. It works great.

Alright,
Have been placed on weather hold,,so come back home for a while.

I had cows laying in the area I wanted to try today.
And rather than stir them up,and with threatening clouds approaching.

I did the following to help shed light on just maybe what RuTus settings Inshould be using.

I buried a clad dime at Garrett Pro pointer length deep(9-9.125" deep)
11" dd coil used on Rutus.
Tried to keep the plug as intact as possible.

Now this is freshly buried info,,so no one get in a tizzy here.

I varied freq and Groud blalanced with few exceptions.
I'll talk this about later.

I could get the dime tonally using a wide range of freqs.

I keyed on 9khz for some signal comparisons when adjusting mask setting.

I said earlier in this thread that a lowest setting here would yield more depth,,,Based on testing this freshly buried clad dime I was WRONG.

I found in my soil,,a setting of 3 on mask setting did the best (tone and tone wise.
If I went to lowest setting signal was chopped,,pretty bad too.

Also I played with reactive setting.
IMO this setting here,,,emulates a lot of the goings on with Xp Deus.
What do I mean by this?

Using Rutus and dialing reactive setting to lowest setting (1) this clad dime was detectable but tone/signal compromised vs a setting of 2.

Deus in my soil a zero (lowest) setting will make it act very similar to Rutus.

Now in milder soil,,I would almost bet the farm this lowest reactive setting is useful for folks.

Reactive level 3 on Rutus,,dime was still heard but much shorter tone and a little lower sounding IMO.

External speaker was used in test btw.

I even with freq dialed to 9khz,,sensivity 85-90,, reactive level 2,, I dialed Rutus to 60 with discrimination level,,dime still coming in.

But I felt running O disc and having tones set so that running 0 disc is possible so a person can hear the ferrous,,,,the 0 disc setting provided better signal.
I even dhecked disc level 30,, since is is where ideally the iron range stops on Rutus,,signal comparison wise here the same basically as having a disc setting of 60.

Here is some thing interesting,,and this too follows suit with Xp Deus.

I could actually get a signal using Rutus running 18.4khz.
I could get a signal (very diggable) both when I performed ground balance and even when I used ground balance preset (I don't know what level GB preset is btw)
Now signals compared with doing GB vs using preset GB,,when I actually Ground balance the signal was better.

If I started dialing Rutus down freq wise,,signals obtained on clad dime would get worse and worse using ground balance preset level.

I also played with hot rock setting,,,I really right now can rate its affects,,but if a person will notice,,factory deep mode for example has the hot rock setting dialed into positive territory.

Just one target here folks,,,take it for what it worth.
I just need a baseline of sorts to start from,,could I with some tinkering of settings see something different on a deep undisturbed say coin?? You bet

Now the only other Detector I had with me today with stock sized coil was Deus.
So I swept the dime with it.

I won't go into great details here,,,but IMO Rutus gave the best signal.
And I did vary settings on Deus too.

I will bury another clad dime and do the same checks again with Rutus,,and also play with hot rock setting some more to see if I can determine anything even close as far as its effects on depth of detection of nonferrous targets.
If I see anything different when I do redo,,I will post.

What about Rutus TID and hodograph data with clad dime at this depth swept??

Well,,seems you can forget any real visible hodograph info,,a real real short line presentation I guess.
As far as actual TID numbers,,,I saw numbers in the screen on different seeps like 105-112,, and I didn't get numbers on every sweep either,,,,blank screen would happen.

I did see where Rutus tended to show TID number with reactivity at 1 or 2 moreso than level 3.
I may have checked level 4 reactive,,can't remember.

Btw in case anyone is wondering,,I usually don't take notes.

The only time I take notes is when I am comparing a whole lot of different targets like I did earlier in this thread.

I also need to plant say another 10 and maybe an 11" nickel to see what happens. Especially how low a freq I can detect nickel,,and just how the nickel is reported ID wise.
Will also try to do buried coin tests where depth progressively deepens to get an idea of how settings and depth,,,when can a person start assuming Rutus ID becomes untrustworthy.

I think it is safe to say already here,,Rutus is no slouch at handling at least medium mineralized
soil.

Forgot to say,,Ghound mentioned this earlier,,I witnessed too,,Rutus on this buried dime,,better signal achieved with coil around an inch above ground,,vs scrubbing.

And I should let folks know,,my real coin garden is currently buried in hay,,I do before it gets too tall, take some flourescent paint and paint them so I can find them later,,,saves me time.
Maybe in about 2-3 weeks the hay will be cut and I can have access to.

One last thing,,this is preliminary data,,so I will add this here.
Even using the 11dd coil on Rutus,,in this one site,,,it has iron at different depths.
Shallow, midepths and deeper.
So far I haven't dug any deep nails that were ringing in good and meter/hodograph was saying decent to good target.
I can't say this about all the detectrors I have owned and ran here.

This means some thing,,at least to me.
More to come.

Last edited:
Good info TNSS thanks, interesting about the mask setting. I lose a dime at 8" in my garden.
Just back from a 3hr hunt with my mate and his etrac.
Mostly scouting out a new permission, fields are either in deep grass, cattle with calfs, one had a mental bull which put me right off, so just sniping around the edges of the fields.
Nothing to note, one Victorian copper of 1874, pretty common find here, my mate with his etrac had no luck.

More Rutus data.
11" dd coil used exclusively.
Been dodging rain showers all day.
Went back to the site.
Hunted a while with Rutus,,,got the bright idea,,to use Deus 11" coil to find a target.

What I am trying to do is find out what more challenged targets look like and sound like with Rutus.

I found one target with Deus,,based on total target signature using Deus,,I would have rated probability based on my experience with Deus > 95% chance of being a nonferrous target.

So put away Deus and fired up Rutus,,swept target it was their alright,,,TID was a little rolly Polly,,checked target in 2 reactive setting,,3 reactive setting seemed to smooth out TID reading a bit.
Hodograph has curly cue presentation going ups the screen with some dot spacing. TID reading was coming in between 52-58 on most sweeps.

So cut the plug and only came up with about 3.5" of dirt depth wise.
With plug upside down,,swept with Rutus,,,bingo a dead lock crystal clear with 46 steady in the meter.
So it appears some degree of masking going on.
A piece of brass medium sized.

Clouds starting building again,,so I decided to bury a 10" deep clad dime this time. Ground conditions here not dry by no means.

So sweeping this 10" dime using Rutus.
I could get the dime to tone in,.very coil position sensitive.
Mask setting/ of 5 and 6 signal went bye bye on all sweeps.
I think levels 2 or 3 mask setting sounded the best,,better than 0 for sure.

This is a freshly buried (disturbed) target,,,so folks here be mindful of this,,not exactly scientific in a pure sense for testing or maybe even comparing detectors.

I noticed the same thing on this 10" deep dime here vs the 9" deep buried dime earlier today.
Lower freqs,,seems no real gains signal wise performance wise.

I thought actually on this 10" deep dime as long as I kept freq on Rutus dialed up at17khz or higher,,,this is where I got my best signals.

I played with hot rock setting again,,,If I run hot rock setting positive,,,signal went bye bye,,,going negative on hot rock setting didin't seem to help either but it didn't seem to hurt as much as going positive.

Reactivity level 1 when sweeping this 10" deep dime,,signal is louder vs a level 2 setting but the audio seems like it is cramped in reporting.
Reactvity 2 setting improve with smoother tone,,but lower volume.
Gain was maxed btw.

Something else I saw with this 10" dime,,that seemed to mirror what I saw with 9" deep dime,,,,sensitivity went set to max corrupts signal,,,dial down at around 86 much better on both of these dimes at depth.

I tried 0 disc and also disc level 30.
With zero disc it seemed like the tone would have the iron tone dompnent on some sweeps,,whereas at 30 disc setting,,all high tones.

Meter readings when they showed up were in the 98-107 range.

I think wearing headphones a person could hear this 10" deep dime in reactive 3 setting,,but with external speaker,,better be on your game.

I tried to detect dime with preset GB settings,,result was a very chopped signal.

So,,next I got the mighty Deus with 11" coil out and tried the dime.
I could hear the dime good.
Reactivity settings of 1,2 and 2.5 very diggable signal,,a level 3 setting,,I could hear but I rate only because I knew the dime was down there.
I tried both 8khz and 18khz,,with 8lhz providing a slightly louder signal.
Audio report at level 5 btw,,and this is Deus V4.
I checked using disc level of -2.5 with full tones ,,a lovely signal.
I also checked with disc at 6 and used 3 tones selected,,,not as good a signal IMO,,but there.

On this 10" dime buried,,,Deus gets the nod for best signal,,and more repetitive signals between sweeps percentage wise. From how both detectors signaled on 10" deep dime,,Rutus sounded like it was at the end of very near the end of its detection range here,,Deus sounded like it had a little more ways to go compared to how Rutus sounded. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think versions 3.2 Deus here would have faired as well,,based on my prior testing of Deus v3.2.

Cheers

It's interesting that you're having a better result at 10" with a higher frequency. That just doesn't seem logical to me....

I've never used a Deus. I appreciate the side by side comparison.

Theoretically you can still check this.

The "Hot" program uses v3.2 filters. The "Deep" program uses v2 filters. All others use v4 filters. You can create v3.2 programs on v4 by using "Hot" as a base.

I have two identical programs running side by side to check signals. One with v3.2 filters and one with v4.

It's interesting that you're having a better result at 10" with a higher frequency. That just doesn't seem logical to me....

I've never used a Deus. I appreciate the side by side comparison.

Does sound strange to a lot of folks I guess.

I have seen this,,and quite a few other people have reported using, testing Deus.
A dime,,deeper even undisturbed,,,you will get the same depth on its using 18khz vs any of the lower freqs,,12khz, 8khz, and 4khz.
Now I can't say for sure if this applies to when GB is manipulated using Deus.

As far as Rutus,,I will try deep quarter and see what happens,,,since it is bigger we might see some difference with signal vs freq used.
This what is going on here could be tied the minerals in my soil somewhat at least.

I don't think the concentric coil was made for Impact.
Was the FORS Gold + unit maybe.
And this coil works on the Nokta Relic detector I think.

The medium sized coil for Impact is advertised as a DD coil measuring something like 5x9.5" .

Now I've read a gent forum name Tall Tom I think,,,who stated Nokta made a coil (structure wise) like Impact's stock coil but was made electronically to match Racer series,,,and this coil was tested for durability it seems while being used on either a Racer 1 or Racer 2 detector.
Very good move here by Nokta.

It would be interesting to know if other manufacturers do this what Inhave said here.

I found where Dilek said they are planning to add a concentric coil, not at the launch but a few months down the road.

I've heard many times that a Deus does well on fresh buried targets, probably why in the UK if there's a freshly plowed field you'll find a fella swinging a deus in it.
Personally i found a few of my machines have went deeper in 18khz in my soil, the GM5+ absolutely killed on small silver at decent depth, it gave a better, stronger audio report than anything i've used to 10"-11", the Rutus is deeper but with less convincing audio, least to my ears.

More Rutus data.
11" dd coil used exclusively.
Been dodging rain showers all day.
Went back to the site.
Hunted a while with Rutus,,,got the bright idea,,to use Deus 11" coil to find a target.

What I am trying to do is find out what more challenged targets look like and sound like with Rutus.

I found one target with Deus,,based on total target signature using Deus,,I would have rated probability based on my experience with Deus > 95% chance of being a nonferrous target.

So put away Deus and fired up Rutus,,swept target it was their alright,,,TID was a little rolly Polly,,checked target in 2 reactive setting,,3 reactive setting seemed to smooth out TID reading a bit.
Hodograph has curly cue presentation going ups the screen with some dot spacing. TID reading was coming in between 52-58 on most sweeps.

So cut the plug and only came up with about 3.5" of dirt depth wise.
With plug upside down,,swept with Rutus,,,bingo a dead lock crystal clear with 46 steady in the meter.
So it appears some degree of masking going on.
A piece of brass medium sized.

Clouds starting building again,,so I decided to bury a 10" deep clad dime this time. Ground conditions here not dry by no means.

So sweeping this 10" dime using Rutus.
I could get the dime to tone in,.very coil position sensitive.
Mask setting/ of 5 and 6 signal went bye bye on all sweeps.
I think levels 2 or 3 mask setting sounded the best,,better than 0 for sure.

This is a freshly buried (disturbed) target,,,so folks here be mindful of this,,not exactly scientific in a pure sense for testing or maybe even comparing detectors.

I noticed the same thing on this 10" deep dime here vs the 9" deep buried dime earlier today.
Lower freqs,,seems no real gains signal wise performance wise.

I thought actually on this 10" deep dime as long as I kept freq on Rutus dialed up at17khz or higher,,,this is where I got my best signals.

I played with hot rock setting again,,,If I run hot rock setting positive,,,signal went bye bye,,,going negative on hot rock setting didin't seem to help either but it didn't seem to hurt as much as going positive.

Reactivity level 1 when sweeping this 10" deep dime,,signal is louder vs a level 2 setting but the audio seems like it is cramped in reporting.
Reactvity 2 setting improve with smoother tone,,but lower volume.
Gain was maxed btw.

Something else I saw with this 10" dime,,that seemed to mirror what I saw with 9" deep dime,,,,sensitivity went set to max corrupts signal,,,dial down at around 86 much better on both of these dimes at depth.

I tried 0 disc and also disc level 30.
With zero disc it seemed like the tone would have the iron tone dompnent on some sweeps,,whereas at 30 disc setting,,all high tones.

Meter readings when they showed up were in the 98-107 range.

I think wearing headphones a person could hear this 10" deep dime in reactive 3 setting,,but with external speaker,,better be on your game.

I tried to detect dime with preset GB settings,,result was a very chopped signal.

So,,next I got the mighty Deus with 11" coil out and tried the dime.
I could hear the dime good.
Reactivity settings of 1,2 and 2.5 very diggable signal,,a level 3 setting,,I could hear but I rate only because I knew the dime was down there.
I tried both 8khz and 18khz,,with 8lhz providing a slightly louder signal.
Audio report at level 5 btw,,and this is Deus V4.
I checked using disc level of -2.5 with full tones ,,a lovely signal.
I also checked with disc at 6 and used 3 tones selected,,,not as good a signal IMO,,but there.

On this 10" dime buried,,,Deus gets the nod for best signal,,and more repetitive signals between sweeps percentage wise. From how both detectors signaled on 10" deep dime,,Rutus sounded like it was at the end of very near the end of its detection range here,,Deus sounded like it had a little more ways to go compared to how Rutus sounded. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think versions 3.2 Deus here would have faired as well,,based on my prior testing of Deus v3.2.

Cheers

I was out for a few hours today. After reading TNSS and ghound I ran the Rutus in the coins program, but upped the frequency to 17 kHz and ran reaction at 3. I was in an old, small town park that had a lot of trash to changed to the concentric coil. I only had 2 hours and am still digging everything just to verify the signals, so I dug a lot of junk. But I did get a 1917 Merc at about 5 inches. I'm pumped because silver is hard to find in our parks.

I always wonder why the silver is still there, given how hunted our parks are. I was running discrimination at 30. Again I feel the AT Pro would have hit it. It was in an area I hunted before. All I can say is the coil was never over the coin.

I'm still very excited about the Rutus and what it can do. Very quiet and versatile. So far, I really like the Rutus.

I was out for a few hours today. After reading TNSS and ghound I ran the Rutus in the coins program, but upped the frequency to 17 kHz and ran reaction at 3. I was in an old, small town park that had a lot of trash to changed to the concentric coil. I only had 2 hours and am still digging everything just to verify the signals, so I dug a lot of junk. But I did get a 1917 Merc at about 5 inches. I'm pumped because silver is hard to find in our parks.

I always wonder why the silver is still there, given how hunted our parks are. I was running discrimination at 30. Again I feel the AT Pro would have hit it. It was in an area I hunted before. All I can say is the coil was never over the coin.

I'm still very excited about the Rutus and what it can do. Very quiet and versatile. So far, I really like the Rutus.

Congrats on your hunt with dime find.

Did you check the orientation of the dime when digging??

I went out for about 2.5 hours with Rutus today.
Ran concentric coil exclusively.
After reading a bit about Rutus with someone I have a high opinion of,,they said drop the gain a bit,,makes the detector sound better.

I ran gain at 50 today,,put my progold headsets on,,detector sounded real well.

If I go to this one site I have in mind,,,and the Rutus runs as quiet again as it did today,,,I will be able to declare,,,this detector is Minelab quiet,,maybe even quieter,,,that would be saying some thing.

Found a few targets in my detector testing grounds.

Compared to Deus,,,both detectors saw all targets.
Deus with 9" coil.

When Rutus makes a smaller DD coil for detector,,I will be buying.
I just hope they don't make it too small.
Would like to see a 6 or 7x9" DD coil.

Oh this one musket ball,,,about 7" deep,,Rutus ID giving 52-56 on sweeps using reactive 2,3, 4 18.4 kHz gain 50, sensitivity 81.
Deus,,never ever came close to IDing,,,even dialing reactvity to level 1 to try and force it to ID,,the lowest I.d in window was 88.
Lead don't Id at 88 on Deus btw.

Air test using Rutus showed reading of 46.

Now was a concentric coil here vs DD coil.

I also find holding the Rutus in the bottom part of hand grip section makes it feel nicer to swing.

Cheers.

I didn't get the orientation of the dime. I'm able to pinpoint things very well with the Rutus and it fell out of the plug. I was expected a clad dime, I was very surprised to find the merc.

I'll try dialing down the gain, but I'm not unhappy with the sounds on the Rutus. I've run almost exclusively Coins 3. I need to work on setting some tone profiles. I'd like to dial up the nickel signal.

I like the ID spread on the Rutus as well, from 1 to 120. They were able to spread out the IDs between some of the aluminum targets and coins.

Out of curiosity, do you have another detector with a lower shaft the fits the Rutus? I'd like another to make switching coils easier and I haven't found one that Rutus sells. The AT Pro shaft is a little big.

Thanks.

I didn't get the orientation of the dime. I'm able to pinpoint things very well with the Rutus and it fell out of the plug. I was expected a clad dime, I was very surprised to find the merc.

I'll try dialing down the gain, but I'm not unhappy with the sounds on the Rutus. I've run almost exclusively Coins 3. I need to work on setting some tone profiles. I'd like to dial up the nickel signal.

I like the ID spread on the Rutus as well, from 1 to 120. They were able to spread out the IDs between some of the aluminum targets and coins.

Out of curiosity, do you have another detector with a lower shaft the fits the Rutus? I'd like another to make switching coils easier and I haven't found one that Rutus sells. The AT Pro shaft is a little big.

Thanks.

None of the lower shafts of the detectors I have will work on Rutus.

Yeah, this ID is spread,,,but remember you can normalize to 6khz,,and run even super high freq,,and still get the real good spread.

Setting up your nickel window is easy.
Pay attention in the manual,,,use the copy function to set your tone freqs.
Works nicely.
I set my nickel window up 50-54.
You don't want to get to greedy here, even 50-55 would work as long as you select 6khz normalized.

This thing just might be a nickel killer,,and you just might snag a gold ring or 2 by digging nickel signals.

Turning gain to around 30 is nice too,,will expose that surface and real shallow !!!!.

Or say if you went to hunt a place that had a big whatever going on recently,,and we're looking for recent drops,,,then the lower gain would expose the deeper stuff,,hence dig the louder signals for the recent drops.

Do you have a camera,,and plan on doing videos???

Thanks.
Rutus sells three shafts. 10cm. Longer, standard and 10cm shorter.

I have ordered the shorter one...

Back
Top Bottom