Ghost town hunt

We couldn't have pick a better day to go, Perfect weather for Mid November, mostly sunny. I am so sore from all the walking and climbing.

Wait they didn't mention that there was any climbing! Or the killer trail that went down a cliff or the mile of more of mud and water that we had to wade through. It wasn't really that bad. After we got to the foundation of the old school, another group of people showed up with cameras and (ready for this?) a baby stroller. Yea, all the mud and water, the steep cliff trail, rocks and whatever we found and this group has a baby stroller. So much for all my complaining about the trail.

The buckets of gold and silver....

Pictures and a better detail are soon to follow. Will have them up tomorrow.

I had a great time, met some new friends and hope to get a chance to go back there again.

I'm a friend of Wolfs. Posting this. Hey Gander and Todds Which oak tree did you leave wolf hangin in?

I'm a friend of Wolfs. Posting this. Hey Gander and Todds Which oak tree did you leave wolf hangin in?

gander said:
Yea, all the mud and water, the steep cliff trail, rocks and whatever we found and this group has a baby stroller. So much for all my complaining about the trail.

I don't think we left him anywhere, I took my own vehicle up there, but he was with some other MDers, they may have done something with him. I know one kept saying something about bungee jumping without a rope or something like that. Or was it a rope from a bridge, something I just didn't make out...
When I saw the baby stroller up there in the hills among all the mud, rocks, water, etc I have nothing to complain about. Sort of reminds me of the movie Deliverance.

Heh All,

I'm still recovering fom my aching muscles! Gander is right...if I didn't know better I'd think we climbed Mt. Rainier! We waded through so much mud I'm still waterlogged! If you want to burn a few thousand calories, just take a trip to the Ghost Town of Melmont! Unfortunately though, we didin't find much of interest. I found a piece of an old harmonica, and I'm proud to say...the only coin! - a 1995 modern penny! Oh, well..it was a fun day with nice people.

Todd

O.K. so this hunt was just a test for the real hunt coming up this summer. Monte Cristo. Gander, The slide show rocks brother. I'll start a new thread for the M.C. hunt. Melmont was a good chance to meet friends and get out together. Althuogh the finds were meager (I got an old spoon in two pieces) it was great being with everyone together. WOLF

Thanks for the comments on the slide show, it's the first time I have made one. I did add 2 more slides to the orginal, one is a map of the area we went to and the 2nd was a pic of Melmont from 1910. A good contrast to what we saw and what was there 98 years ago.

It was great to 'go along' with you guys, terrific slide show!! What a great group. Looking forward to future exploits as well. Thanks everyone! :spin:

Did you guys happen to notice some digging around the front "porch" area and also at the foundation on the left side and front? Me and my dad hit that spot a few times last summer and found some old relics, horseshoes, not-so-old coins and other whatzits...ran into a lot of nettles at that time too.
If you guys went down the hill from the school toward the river, you would see where the houses, saloon, and hotel were in that flat Lots of glass. There is the old bridge truss supports sticking out of the bank.

Ya, We hit that also Damon. Thanx for the info though. We'll hit it again. I still think thier is something there that needs to be found. WOLF

......very nice job on the Slide presentation! I did not see the finds? Did I miss something? ,........ Jan

I'm sorry, you didn't see what we found. Hmmm I'm sure we showed it.
Really, we got skunked! No, Foolin. Todd found a couple of clad. But there was so much iron under everything that all we found were... well lots of iron. Iron sheets, old rusted out cans, lids, just rusted junk. The four of us scattered all over the place. Wait I did find a bronze valve, but I left it behind. I did find a couple of brass rings, I will see if I can come up with a picture of it.
We did find lots of water and mud, does that count? :lol:

I will be going back there again for sure. There has to be more than just iron and coal.

In the "Washington Treasure Stories" thread, post 36 is a link to a ghost town hunt by a group of folks with metal detectors. It should get folks ready for the next one. ;)

Cool

It is great that the WA state has a group of hunters. I am a numismatist and recently got interested in metal detecting (I cant afford to buy the coins at the prices they are offered:P). I wouldnt mind if I hit gold or silver either ;)

I would love to join in to one of the hunts if you are looking to take a newbie along. Anyone from around Seattle here?

Back
Top Bottom