• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

yep another newbie

spudqueen

Hi everybody,  another newbie here.  I hope you are all available for me to pick your brains.    :D   
after years of wanting a MD my husband got me one for our anniversary.  He's been great about helping me figure it out.  He even threw a handful of change out in the backyard for me to find. (the sweetie).  We are going to try to find time this weekend to get out and check out a few areas.  I live in an area surrounded by forest service land.  Can you detect there?  Is it different from state to state?  I am hearing that there are still a lot of mining claims around.  How do you know if you are on someone's claim.  Do they post it really well or do I need to get a map from somewhere.  There is a ghost town we are interested in checking out, no buildings left, just foundations and crumbling floorboards.  It is off of a forest service road but I have never noticed any signs warning people away.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the hobby and this great forum :yes:
I would check with the local authorities first before venturing off onto Forest Service land. There are probably restrictions but I don't know where you want to go so check . The Ghost Town sounds like a great place to go but again ,you better find out from the locals who owns it if anyone. As far as claims go , they have to be registered so you can find that out pretty easily. DO NOT GO anywhere near an area you may even think might be one. I heard that shotgun blasts hurt quite a bit.
Let us know how you do.

Welcome Spudqueen. Glad to see you've joined the hobby. Federal lands are a no no but some state parks and forest lands are ok but like said above ask permission before detecting. GL

Hi Spudqueen and a hearty welcome to you. Here in northern Michigan we have a lot of areas that one would call "a gray area" The last thing I want to have happen is to be in an area that, although it is not posted, may be off limits to detecting. Finding out just where I could go cost me a cup of coffee. I invited our local conservation officer to have coffee at a local restarant, and we talked about the places I could go without having to worry about getting in trouble. He was very impressed that I was up front and wasn't one of the sneaky people. The upside to this is he also turned me on to a couple of places that I never knew about :shock:. You still have to get permission for private lands of course, but now I also know my options for state owned as well. Good luck on all your hunts.

I, too, will be another newbie soon. :yes:

I have been reading this forum for about two weeks now to find out what metal detector I should get as a beginner and to get some tips for MD.

I, like hoser, am from Michigan and wanted to make sure we could search in the State Parks since we do alot of camping during the year in the State Parks. You can go to the DNR website and there is a link for a list of state parks that allow MD and also those closed to it.

If you go to each park allowing MD, go to the area with the symbol for metal detecting and you are able to print a map with the areas available to MD highlighted in red.

This is the site I found for Michigan. You may be able to find a similar site for the state you are in.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365-97922--,00.html

Thanks for all the input everyone. I appreciate it very much. I can't wait to post all of my amazing finds!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom