Broke into the 1800’s today, another silver spill, and I’ve got a new favourite park!

sandgroper

Elite Member
First hunt site for today was the vacant block where once two houses from the early 20’s stood. I hunted it last week and seems like I did a pretty good job as I only got this 1917 Commonwealth penny (in pretty good condition too!)

After about an hour of trudging through the sand and rubble, I headed to a nearby park (which by the way, is magnificent with its old trees, shady lawns and lakes), that was established in the late 1890’s. Things started off quite slowly, only got a few modern coins and a silver earring with a ruby (I doubt the ruby is real). Two hours later I finally found my first old silver, which was a 1943 threepence. Not long afterwards, I get another deep high tone and it turns out to be a 1916 sixpence. After replacing the plug, I swing back over it and get another high tone. Sure enough, it was another sixpence, but this one was a very worn 1897 British sixpence. My second silver spill. :) Not bad!

Over the next three hours I dug a 1940 and a 1921 threepence, and also a very crusty ’22 penny.

I’d say it was a good day for detecting and for once the weather was quite favourable (about 86f). Overall, I got just over $20 in change, five silvers, two pennies and a silver earring to add to the collection. This park is ridiculously huge, and I’ve only covered a fraction of it, so I know I’ll definitely be returning over the coming weeks. Thanks for looking, and good luck out there! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 583
Congratulations on your silver spill. And a great big congratulations on your 1897 coin it's always nice to find a coin from a century in which you never lived in!:clapping:

Congrats on finding the spill and a new spot to detect. Love finding those old places to detect which seem to never had a detector used on them before.

Congratulations on your silver spill. And a great big congratulations on your 1897 coin it's always nice to find a coin from a century in which you never lived in!:clapping:

Thanks Dan! I've never lived in the 20th Century either, so any old coin I find is from another century! :lol:

Congrats on a great hunt and the old six pence

Thank you! :)

Great finds X, Congrats!!!:cold::snowing: Not doing much over on this side but cleaning clad.

Thanks Busca! :grin:

Congrats on finding the spill and a new spot to detect. Love finding those old places to detect which seem to never had a detector used on them before.

Thanks! Yes, it's definitely nice to find new areas. I did however see a dead plug (not from me) in the grass, so I know someone else is hunting this park too. But the park is HUGE so I'll be kept busy for the next few weeks.

Congrats on a great bunch of coins...Looks like a great day out. Continued success to you...HH

Thanks arw40! HH :)

You're killing it lately! Nice work.

Thank you jwp! I think it's the CTX which is making the difference... :lol:

Wow what a fantastic hunt! Congrats!

Thanks mate! :)

Man you did GREAT! Lots of old coins and a bunch of silver to top it all off!

beephead

Thank you! IMO, there's nothing better than seeing silver in the plug.

Lot of nice finds.

Congrats

Thanks tnsharp! :)

Good job! That's quite a haul there.....

Thank you LW! :grin:

Very cool! Good job. On to the quest for the 1700's...like me. Ha ha

Thanks! 1700's will be quite hard for me, Australia was only colonised in 1788, and Perth in 1829! Good luck with your search! :)

Great Work! Hey whats the deal with the cut up coins in your picture? They must have some pretty fast and sharp mowers over in OZ...

Great Work! Hey whats the deal with the cut up coins in your picture? They must have some pretty fast and sharp mowers over in OZ...

Thanks Mud! I've found quite a few old coppers that have been sliced, but I've never found a sliced clad coin. I guess copper's softer than the metal which the new coins are made of! :)

Awesome finds man! What are the oldest coins you might expect to find there?

Thank you Zeemang! Well, the park was established sometime in the 1890's, and there's a circle of trees (about 40 trees) which were planted in 1898 and 1899 so I can definitely find some old British coins (which I did today). There might even be a few gold sovereigns somewhere in this park because they were minted up until 1931.

Congrats on the $20 in clad, the sterling and the 5 silvers, especially the vintage Sixpence pair...excellent old park outing!

Thanks Cpt! I love those old coin spills, it's an interesting thought that decades ago someone was sitting there, where you're standing right now.

Its hard to get 1800s coins,congratulations!

Thanks! Yes, it's definitely not easy to get those 1800s coins. I guess you just have to be lucky. I've only found 5 or so 1800's coins this year. :)

Back
Top Bottom