Need summer headphones solution

I am in Pennsylvania and I am already having issues with heat and sweat with my headphones. I love the sound of my Grey Ghost Ultimates but the summer will be too hot. I have tried my Iphone 4s ear buds and a $20 pair of Scull Candy ear buds with my AT Pro and the Z Lynk and the buds with a 1/4" adaptor. The sound was not loud enough even with the Z Lynk volume and ear bud volume at full, the Scull Candy has no volume adjustment. Is there a known brand that is good for this application, possibly with a low impedance to allow maximum volume?

Try these with the Z Lynk: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-marshmallow-earbud-headphones-black/1997702.p?skuId=1997702

No volume control other than on the Z Lynk, but they are loud even at 32 ohm. Garrett is near me and I went up and talked to one of the engineers there about the Z Lynk, because originally I thought I would need low impedance to match the resistance for the sound to be louder or "optimal", but it doesn't matter that much. If worse came to worse and you tried to pair 600 ohm "studio earbuds" up with the Z Lynk, it would just drain the battery much faster trying to push a load through them.

My problem turned out to be a junky 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter from Fleabay.
Bought another new adapter (from a real store, $2) and bought the JVC's listed above for $10 and they can blow your eardrums out if the volume is set too high. They are cushy and soft in the ears too, haven't tried another pair since and between me, the wifey and 5 kids...we have earbuds of all types out the whazoo.

It worked!

Try these with the Z Lynk: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-marshmallow-earbud-headphones-black/1997702.p?skuId=1997702

No volume control other than on the Z Lynk, but they are loud even at 32 ohm. Garrett is near me and I went up and talked to one of the engineers there about the Z Lynk, because originally I thought I would need low impedance to match the resistance for the sound to be louder or "optimal", but it doesn't matter that much. If worse came to worse and you tried to pair 600 ohm "studio earbuds" up with the Z Lynk, it would just drain the battery much faster trying to push a load through them.

My problem turned out to be a junky 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter from Fleabay.
Bought another new adapter (from a real store, $2) and bought the JVC's listed above for $10 and they can blow your eardrums out if the volume is set too high. They are cushy and soft in the ears too, haven't tried another pair since and between me, the wifey and 5 kids...we have earbuds of all types out the whazoo.

I tried a gold plated jack from Radio Shack in place of the cheap plastic molded jack I got from WorstBuy and the sound blew my ears off. Thanks for the advice!

I have been using Ultimate Grey Ghost for the last 2 years. I do like them.

Problem is summer in NE Louisiana gets 90-100+. I'm not above earbuds, but I'm in the habit of setting my detector down to the side when I dig and I don't need buds falling out every time. I'm thinking extension cable with earbuds.

Suggestions and experiences, please.

Dave

I rember skull candy has thes ear buds that's marketed as being super durble. The bud part is made of l metal. It's funny how tough they are but once I fell a sleeep with them in the car and in line button cracked some how when I was asleep.

a couple of decades ago we could purchase white cotton covers that went over the ear muffs . they were washable and very cheap . they would soak up the sweat and were made out of the same material as head bands. wish someone one start making them again.

Bluetooth operates on rf (2.4GHz). The lag isn't because of the frequency, it's because it wasn't originally intended to transmit sound. You get lag because it has to compress an audio signal, and the headphones have to decompress it. Some codecs used in bluetooth are better than others for metal detecting, but both transmitter and receiver have to be able to utilize them. I think the most useful is apt-x.

I installed and used the cheap Bluetooth transmitter solution found earlier in this thread. There was just enough lag from the swing to the beep in my ears to drive me nuts!

I wonder if that is something to get used to or I'll just go completely nuts.

I'm guessing the lag is from the transmitter. I don't have any other BT headphones but I have not noticed any lag watching movies on my iPad with the headphones.

:facepalm: Just realized that my transmitter has the APT-X codec but my earbuds don't. I have ordered some earbuds that support APT-X and will report back once I get a chance to use them.......

:facepalm: Just realized that my transmitter has the APT-X codec but my earbuds don't. I have ordered some earbuds that support APT-X and will report back once I get a chance to use them.......

Exactly right. Both transmitter and receiver (headphones) have to support it. aptX supposedly has a latency of 40ms, so you shouldn't notice the lag.

I was on Amazon ordering a bluetooth setup and noticed someone makes wired earbuds for detectors. Normal looking earbuds with a really long cable. Looked 6 to 8 feet long. Price 19.99.

Bluetooth operates on rf (2.4GHz). The lag isn't because of the frequency, it's because it wasn't originally intended to transmit sound. You get lag because it has to compress an audio signal, and the headphones have to decompress it. Some codecs used in bluetooth are better than others for metal detecting, but both transmitter and receiver have to be able to utilize them. I think the most useful is apt-x.

2.4gh refers to the power of the signal... many though raising this would lead to better signal over long distance and was tried in the NFL. my uncle proved this is not the case and only Scatters the signal more and lead to Brain Cancer in some of the people having to wear this !!!! on their heads. Bluetooth is SAFE... higher microwave systems... NOT SAFE... the 2.4ghz system is used for many uses..remote controls etc.

ok.. back to Bluetooth.. it is Digital and needs a AD/DA conversion.. this is where the lag or latency comes from.. most are cheap and was not intended for OUR use... so i wouldnt use Bluetooth if you want to be accurate.

Radio is the way to to for detecting.. very little latency... nothing you could measure... there are a few inexpensive ones mentioned here for around 100US... and yes... that would be Cheap !!! my wireless trans and receiver for work are around $4000US and i need 8 of them :(

Deteknix seems to be the best choice that i have seen. if i didnt need waterproof headphones... i would go that way.

I never knew ears could sweat until I used headphones for detecting in the south hahhaha... About the only thing you can really do is try ear buds.

I know people say headphones matter yada yada, but for 95% of the targets you go over, ear buds will let you hear them, and if you try the Apple Air Pods, they have the absolute BEST sound to them of any ear buds I have ever worn.

I have found that cheap headphones with foam ear pieces are also good for those 98% humidity days as they let your ears breathe unlike say garretts over the ear headphones... Ear buds or those with light foam is bout all ya can do in instances like this...or no headphones at all....

Try water hunting with an excal in the summer. Those headphones make your ears sweat!

2.4gh refers to the power of the signal...

No, it refers to radio frequency. Power of a transmitted signal is measured in watts, or in this case milliwatts.

Back
Top Bottom