Should I detect it?

ParkHunter

Forum Supporter
I knocked on a 1790s building...a once hunting lounge type house, with a good sized half acre lawn, and asked if I could metal detect. The guy said I could, and said two guys were there a couple weeks back, I asked him where they searched, he said all around the building, especially close to the sides of the building...'best' of all--they hunted twice, not once.

Should I even bother to waste my time to try to hunt it? Anyone have stories of them hunting, so called "hunted out" properties and getting something?

Thanks..

Yes I would definitely hunt it. You don't know what kind of detectors they were using or if they knew what they were doing. Nothing is ever hunted out. Look for areas they might have missed like the trail going to the outhouse. Or away from the building where they might not have searched.

I don't think that any place could be hunted out. I've been hunting the same place since April and I just got back from there with a sterling ring. I think that you ABSOLUTELY should hunt it, besides, how do you know that they are good hunters? They could have only dug up the high signals and left the low ones for you (that's where the good stuff is). Just my opinion. Good luck in your decision.

Yes. Go back as many times as you can. For all the reasons already stated by others before me. Opportunities like that don't come around often, in my case.

It seems i get the same story every where i go. Sure you can hunt but you wont find anything its been hunted for years. I found my first silver dime in an old school yard that had been hunted for years. I take it as a challenge. I have not been to a place that i thought was hunted out. Good luck. Its out there.

Get out there and hunt that place! Work the outter areas. Look for where paths might have been. People always take the easiest, shortest routes, so from the house to the road, to the outhouse, to the barn, to the orchard.... use your imagination.

I found several items in a guys backyard where an old house used to be. He said he's hunted it for 20 years and that I wouldn't find anything. Within a few minutes I had already found a mason jar lid and a headstamp. Both targets should have been found in 20 years of detecting...but, they were not!

Don't think such an old site could be hunted out in only a few times. Least some of the trash junk was hopefully removed. Landfills have been around for 200 years, people tended to burn and bury their trash at home, did a lot more recycling as well.

Great thing about this hobby, you never really know what's down there, until you actually start digging some holes. No machine is 100% perfect, and can tell you for certain if there is something good down there every target. Most every machine will find metal, but it's a tool, and depends on the skill of the user.

My best finds come from "already hunted and found nothing" houses. When I'm told that I know I'm going to find good stuff.

Yes definitely. Let me tell you a story... My 11 year old plays in the local area JFL league and they practice at a local park. This park, in the 1800's, was the grounds of a girls only school. It, like most parks, seems hunted out. While he was at practice a couple of weeks ago, I decided to hunt for practice (and maybe a few extra dollars in clad!). That is exactly what seemed to be occurring as over three to four days I pulled out on average a couple of dollars each day. Then, on one day, I got a weak signal that read quarter. Depth indicated was 7 inches, so I started digging. Once I opened the plug, I lost the signal altogether! Using the depth function, I could still pinpoint it and I dug some more. Pretty soon I had a foot square hole dug 9 inches deep and still no joy. Was about to give up but decided to dig just a little more and that's when I saw something pop of the side of the hole and into the bottom. A 1877 seated liberty quarter in very good condition! You can see it in the attached picture along with a few of my other recent finds from another location. So, yes, search it!

Attachments

• 20121013181007.jpg
    20121013181007.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 682
Yeah I would hunt it. Sounds like the previous hunters knew nothing if all they did was stay near the building. Most of my finds have been away from the buildings.

This post should of read: What I found at a hunted site! Heck yes!!!!!!!!!

It is not like I hunted my own yard only once!

I would also def hunt it. You may also try to use less discrimination. Even if you show up and can't find coins, the previous hunters may have only cherry picked the coins. There could be some pretty neat relics at a site that old.

"Hunted Out" = bring your MDer and pound the heck out of the place, absolutely!!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom