Hoping for my first Non-private hunt this weekend

Jeepfreak81

So far my hunting has been mostly limited to my yard and my grandparents yard. This weekend I'm hoping to get out to a popular local fresh water beach located in a state park. The beach is still closed, but the park is open year round and allows detecting along shorelines. I drove by a couple weeks ago but there was still quite a bit of snow and ice, but much has melted since then. Hoping I can get out there and dig in the sand a little bit.

Any suggestions for my AT Pro? Just set my ground balance and use the same general settings as I would anywhere else? Any other suggestions for a first time beach hunter. Thanks!

Yes, dig everything. You will probably dig a bunch of pull tabs but the gold hits on the same numbers. The two rings I got with my ATPro were a solid 49 and 53, The large silver ring hit a solid 87 with no chirping. Good luck on the beach.

I've got to imagine there will at least be less Iron than I have in my yard :lol:
We got some snow this morning, maybe 2" but seems to be melting off pretty quick. 40's tomorrow and partly sunny later in the day so I probably won't run straight out in the morning. Looking forward to something different than my yard. Will post anything interesting that I find, still looking for my first silver, gold, or jewelry.

I did something similar at a state park last weekend.. unfortunately all I found was a bunch of bottle caps.. although I did get a pretty cool Def Leopard bottle opener shaped like a Guitar so it wasn't a total loss. I think during summer it will be better there.

I also was able to detect the grass area of the park but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of Bottle caps even in the open areas. seems like I got 5 bottle caps per swing to the point I gave up digging them.

One thing I did notice in the sand that it is fairly hard to pin point with a pinpointer and retrieve as the sand keeps caving back in on it self. I quickly realized why these beach hunters use a scoop. you may want to at least bring a plastic bucket or something with holes drilled in the bottom to let the sand escape or rig up what ever you can.

It never seems to amaze me that people just throw their Cr@p on the ground. for god sakes people there are trash cans RIGHT THERE !

anyways good luck on your hunt !!

I did something similar at a state park last weekend.. unfortunately all I found was a bunch of bottle caps.. although I did get a pretty cool Def Leopard bottle opener shaped like a Guitar so it wasn't a total loss. I think during summer it will be better there.

I also was able to detect the grass area of the park but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of Bottle caps even in the open areas. seems like I got 5 bottle caps per swing to the point I gave up digging them.

One thing I did notice in the sand that it is fairly hard to pin point with a pinpointer and retrieve as the sand keeps caving back in on it self. I quickly realized why these beach hunters use a scoop. you may want to at least bring a plastic bucket or something with holes drilled in the bottom to let the sand escape or rig up what ever you can.

It never seems to amaze me that people just throw their Cr@p on the ground. for god sakes people there are trash cans RIGHT THERE !

anyways good luck on your hunt !!
Ya I hate to see so much trash on the ground. I have a plastic grain scoop I plan to drill holes in. The good news is I really don't think this place has been hunted much so hoping for something cool.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I was able to get down to the gate, had to put the Jeep in 4wd to get over a snow drift though. The beach itself was a bust, dug almost nothing in the sand and it was super quiet. I spent about an hour on the sand. I'd get an ok tone and dig it only for it to be that I think are iron deposits. See below.

I moved on to the grass near a picnic table and along the walkway where I got a handful of bottle caps 2 Lincoln's and a wheel weight.

I stopped by to visit my grandparents and swung my detector in the yard for 15 minutes and dug a clad quarter, so the day wasn't a total bust. I got 27 cents.

4175e499601cc1a60d1dcd8d2bf2bdb6.jpg
116a33c5c2f7c6245274244b8718b944.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

ya pretty much the same results for me (read above) but hey.. I plan on going back to my lake beach come summertime I suggest you do the same.. !!

glad you didn't get skunked though !!

Back
Top Bottom