About time

cointroll

After over 600 clad and zinc coins and who knows how many screw caps, bottle caps, pull tabs, small parts of iron, and what ever, finally some silver. It was a very hot day but also very good one. Two 43s and a 64.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_115114584.jpg
    IMG_20200530_115114584.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 554
After over 600 clad and zinc coins and who knows how many screw caps, bottle caps, pull tabs, small parts of iron, and what ever, finally some silver. It was a very hot day but also very good one. Two 43s and a 64.

Nice job. Try out a new spot?

600 clad for that amount of oldies ? Sshheesk, you have more patience than I do. I would have switched to somewhere where the ratios weren't quite so punishing :wow:

600 clad for that amount of oldies ? Sshheesk, you have more patience than I do. I would have switched to somewhere where the ratios weren't quite so punishing :wow:

You've been detecting a long time, Tom. Think about how it would be to get started today and how much of a challenge it is to find public silver. Heck, I'd like to think I can find silver if it's in the ground, and I went to three public spots today with heavy pre-1965 activity and couldn't even find a wheat penny. (To your point, this is why I spend most of my time on private permissions.)

It's not easy to find deep silver if you've never even found the shallow kind. That's another way of saying: success breeds success....but not until you have success.

You've been detecting a long time, Tom. Think about how it would be to get started today and how much of a challenge it is to find public silver. Heck, I'd like to think I can find silver if it's in the ground, and I went to three public spots today with heavy pre-1965 activity and couldn't even find a wheat penny. (To your point, this is why I spend most of my time on private permissions.)

It's not easy to find deep silver if you've never even found the shallow kind. That's another way of saying: success breeds success....but not until you have success.

hey there toy-soldier : When I started, at about 14 yr. old, in about 1975-ish, silver had only been out of circulation for 10-ish years. Or put another way: Clad had only been IN circulation for 10-ish years. Thus yes, it was easier then.

Today the parks have 45 more years accumulation of clad.

Still though, there are places we've researched and found, where EVERY COIN will be an old coin (zero clad). Stage stops that fizzled and faded by 1900, and zero human influence thereafter.

So when I bristle at 600 to 2 or 3 ratio , it's still possible , even today, to find better ratios.

Good stuff is Hard to find

I have been detecting 4 years. By the time I started getting permissions I started seeing things are hunted hard in my area. I kept upgrading machines and driving far as 3 hours away each way going to small towns. Still was finding just clad . I have learned by my experience and talking to old timers that detected . that stuff is hit hard there was a huge amount of people in my area detecting 20 30 years ago. So learned its just how it is now in my area so I just stay close hunt every permission super hard and I am grateful when I find an old coin.

Last edited:
We mere mortals find clad mostly but Tom hunts in Nevada and California gold ghost towns .
Btw. Congrats on the triple Silva's👍

They say that you have to dig at least 1000 zinc pennies for every silver Roosevelt dime so I'd say you're beating the average. You got skills!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Big congratulations on your sweet sweet triple silver hunt .
What ever you did ... do it again ...
Great report👍
,Dew

Congrats on the silver and for not giving up.
They say that you have to dig at least 1000 zinc pennies for every silver Roosevelt dime so I'd say you're beating the average. You got skills!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Shhhhh :stop: the dealers won't be able to sell metal detectors if people hear that.

Congrats on your first three silver coins! Great job! :woot:

600 clad for that amount of oldies ? you have more patience than I do. I would have switched to somewhere where the ratios weren't quite so punishing :wow:
So far my clad-to-silver ratio is 690:0. I'm still looking for my first silver coin. :mder:

Add me to the list of not having found silver...yet. I'm doing my homework though...it's only a matter of time!

Back
Top Bottom