Permissions????

The Fever

How can you go about in getting permission to detect in a state park if possible. I know of an area that has 2 ghost towns underwater with all kinds of items on shore. But as the rules say you are not aloud to remove items from the area. I would really love to get permission to detect there. Advice please.....

I seriously doubt you will be able to get permission for something like that. Even if your state parks allow metal detecting in general, I can't imagine a government agency giving permission to dig and detect at what would be considered an archaeological site.

I hope I'm wrong about the situation, but I think you are in for an uphill battle unless these towns were recently abandoned.

Edit: I recommend going to this website and clicking on the Pennsylvania link (I assume that is the state you are talking about). It looks like metal detecting is generally allowed but mentions historical sites being off limits. However the main point they make is to call or write the office for the park you want to go to.

Edit 2: Guess I forgot to put in a link yesterday! Here it is: http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

chances are fever they flooded those towns to use the water for a power plant or such they did that here in up state ny it perfectly all wright here well worth the effort to talk to a state ranger in that area some here even point out old home sites not under water good luck. scott

Direct (personal, face to face) contact with the rangers is usually the best way. Then they can evaluate you through conversation and appearance and make a judgement as to whether you are 'risk free'. RickO

This area is rich in artifacts and coins. I find old coins on top of the ground fishing there. And yes I pick them up. I could only wonder the coins a few inches in the ground. Let alone buttons, tokens, jewelry,bottles, etc..... The list goes on and on of whats there :(.

Edit: Oops missed what you wrote Drosera.... Hmmmmmm I know what Im doing this spring. Its not listed historic so gonna hit it hard if they let me.

Back
Top Bottom