gas prices

angeltrash1

Just want to know how many of you have cut back on your hunting since gas prices are sky high - i myself only go hunting if i know that i will be passing close to my regular hunting spots - i try to keep my detector in my car for just in case.

Nope.. I go the same amount of times...I have a Saturn that gets pretty good gas mileage..

I don't get around as much as I used to, specifically because of the outrageous prices. Plus side to that is it forces me to concentrate more on my immediate area, which has already produced results.
I always have my MD with me, so if I'm out and about anyways, it don't take much of an excuse for me to detect at any suitable location ... But I used to drive around randomly, specifically just to detect, don't do that anymore.
The $$ my Ram V8 would eat up just don't make it an economically sound proposition.

yup - i try to go to the parks farther away from me but not as often - instead of once a week to about once a month - i hope gas starts to drop soon or i"ll have to get out the bicycle.

I got a feeling it's going to go up a lot more before it comes down. Our current prices and times might be thought of as the good old days a few years from now.

Its reassuring to know that you guys are feeling the pinch too over there. Petrol prices here never seem to be the same for two days running over here, they creep up a cent or two every other day. People are certainly walking more or thinking hard about whether to make those longer journeys.

I haven't cut back on my detecting because of gas prices. I usually detect within 15-20 miles of home, and it's my entertainment, so the increase in gasoline prices has no effect. If I was traveling long distances, I'd just do more detecting at the destination to justify the trip.

gasih9.jpg

I haven't cut back. I need more gold!!

Luckily for me, with my career, I may only fill up my gas tank 12 times a year. So when I have the opportunity to drive, I could care less how much gas is. I'm a contractor for big oil, I make enough to pay whatever they rape us at, haha.

for about 20 months, I drove a mercedes that ran on used vegetable oil that I collected from resturants after they were finished using it. It was better for the environment, eliminated toxic waste, smelled better, improved performance and only cost me about 10 cents per gallon. Hence the screename greasecarguy.

Unfortunately with 330k on it, it was time to let it go. I am working on another now.

We would drive anywhere and everywhere without regard for fuel usage. Even took the family to florida from NY, all on grease. Bought some from an interent contact while I was there and drove back on grease.

Anyone interested can check it out by googling greasecar.

When it cost 300.00-400.00 per month in gas just to drive to work now, up from 125.00, you bet I care and it has affected where and how often I go, although it has a fringe benefit, I get to spend more time with the family and spend the extra gas money doing stuff with them instead of pursuing my hobbies as often as I used to. That is worth more to me than, dare I say it, metal detecting.

I detect within 10 miles of home so it doesn't bother me too much. One thing I have done is start driving the speed limit and setting a 3,000 rpm rule on my vehicle. At 3,000 rpm i am going 56 mph in 5th gear, i never go over 3,000 in upshifting. My mileage has gone from 25 to 30 mpg. Funny thing is I get passed by the people I used to keep with and am usually just behind them at the 1st traffic light in town. I laugh now to think how much gas they used to pass to get to the same place a few seconds before me. How much gas would be saved if everyone drove the speed limit?

The thing that irks me is the lazy A$$ people who wait in line at DT banks and restaurants. Traffic lights and jams are one thing. I never use DT and never will. I am 56 years old and weigh what I weighed on high school graduation night. The laziness of people is beyond belief to me. And in wintertime, scrape your windows.....................dont burn gas for 7 minutes to defrost the windows and warm the car. I havent seen a bank or a restaurant that didnt have an entrance..........Rant #1

I started to say yes, but I drove 20 miles to detect Sunday, and the wrong way home monday just to MD. I have cut down on wasting gas, but still drive for some MDing. I am trying to hit spots on the way home as a rule.

Well,we are now paying £1.15 per litre.I know you lot talk gallons over there and there is 3,8 litres to the gallon.So we are paying £4.37 per gallon,which would be about $8.74 per gallon with the exchange rate.How much are you guys paying per gallon there now?

Our petrol has just inched up to the two dollars a litre mark (thats NZ dollars)
One dollar NZ is currently 38p UK which makes it 76p a litre.
Having lived all but the last four years of my life in the UK, I can say with certainty that wages are substantially smaller over here and so we're feeling the pinch in a big way despite the relatively smaller fuel price.

Back
Top Bottom