swinging off hand

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
Between detecting and fishing, I have my left arm all jacked up. I am having to swing right. I really am impressed with you guys who hunt hours and hours at a time.

BCD

My arm is the last thing to wear out when I am detecting. The rest of my body revolts first. My two old decrepit minelabs are definitely not light.

Best to grip the detector gently as possible,just let it sit on your fingers,if you don’t already. Having more targets to dig helps ALOT. Swinging for an hour with no holes is bad,but I do it once in awhile.

It also helps to use an elbow brace, even if yours isn't hurting "yet". I used to get tennis elbow swinging the Ace 250 but nothing with the Nox 600 which is only a little lighter. After wearing the brace, I can swing for hours, no probs.

but as others have mentioned, you are probably gripping the stick too tightly which is what causes the elbow to be injured, aka tennis elbow. You could fashion yourself a support for your metal detector. When I was using the Ace 250 all the time, I'd wear a backpack and suspend the metal detector via bungy cord from the front backpack straps, this alone made a lot of difference and allowed my elbow to heal while still hunting..

best of luck

It also helps to use an elbow brace, even if yours isn't hurting "yet". I used to get tennis elbow swinging the Ace 250 but nothing with the Nox 600 which is only a little lighter. After wearing the brace, I can swing for hours, no probs.

but as others have mentioned, you are probably gripping the stick too tightly which is what causes the elbow to be injured, aka tennis elbow. You could fashion yourself a support for your metal detector. When I was using the Ace 250 all the time, I'd wear a backpack and suspend the metal detector via bungy cord from the front backpack straps, this alone made a lot of difference and allowed my elbow to heal while still hunting..

best of luck
Ditto on the elbow brace. They work. Don't even go out without it if your feeling problems. If you're not, still wear it and you won't.

Thanks for the advise on the brace. I'll pick one up. It is primarily my elbow right now so that should help a lot.

BCD

best of luck

Yea. I tap on keys all day...

BCD

Here's the trick, other than using the brace. When you go to bed, take a couple ibuprofen or bayer back and body. Take an ice pack and keep it on your elbow, about 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off. Two or three days of that and believe me, you'll feel a lot better.

A good harness can help a lot too. With the 17" coil on my CTX, I get about 2 hrs before I start to feel it in my shoulder, but with a harness, I can go all day with no discernible effect.

Best to grip the detector gently as possible,just let it sit on your fingers,if you don’t already. Having more targets to dig helps ALOT. Swinging for an hour with no holes is bad,but I do it once in awhile.

This is a good habit to get into...a person has to focus on proper body swing ergonomics until they become a natural habit...

I will say, it takes me about 10 minutes to settle down every morning when I first hit the dirt/water... I have to consciously focus on a nice smooth swing, light grip, slowly ramp up easy until everything is warmed up and running good...

Swinging a coil in the water is really hard on a guy who also hunts dirt on account of you cant swing that coil through the water as fast as a guy can through the air...so, a guy has to really settle down and not fight the force of the water or else you will feel it quick!

Definitely use a compression brace on your elbow. It works like magic. Also, use a Tesoro. They're very easy on the elbows

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom