Shortage of coins in circulation due to virus

Article on the coin shortage National coin shortage may affect how you can pay at Meijer, Lowes and other retailers
By Mary Kilpatrick, cleveland.com 46 mins ago

National coin shortage may affect how you can pay at Meijer, Lowes and other retailers

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Coronavirus is causing a shortage of U.S. coins, and retailers are changing their policies to adapt. Banks, too, are watching the situation closely.

The Federal Reserve, which distributes coins to banks and credit unions, said the pandemic has “significantly disrupted the supply chain and normal circulation patterns for U.S. coin,” in a news release this month.
The U.S. Mint has slowed coin production to protect workers. During the height of the shutdown, fewer coins came back to the Federal Reserve from banks.
As states have reopened, banks began asking for more coins, “resulting in the Federal Reserve’s coin inventory being reduced to below normal levels,” the news release said.
The Fed this month began temporarily giving banks a set amount of available coins, based on factors including historic order volume, and the current U.S. Mint manufacturing rate. The limits could be reviewed and changed in the future.
Retailers like Meijer are temporarily limiting the use of cash in most of its stores to help offset the coin shortage. Shoppers can largely only use cash at an in-person checkout line. Self-checkout machines are limited to credit and debit cards.
“While we understand this effort may be frustrating to some customers, it’s necessary to manage the impact of the coin shortage on our stores,” Meijer spokesman Frank Guglielmi said in an email.
A sign at Lowe’s in Fairlawn over the weekend read: “Attention customers: The U.S. is currently experiencing a coin shortage. Please use correct change or other forms of tender if possible.”
KeyBank said it’s monitoring the coin shortage and has guidelines in place to help manage coin circulation.
The bank said it “will continue to work to minimize the impact on our clients.”
The Fed suggests that banks only order the coins they need and allow customers to deposit rolls of coins again to help combat the shortage.
———
©2020 The Plain Dealer, Cleveland

Article on the coin shortage National coin shortage may affect how you can pay at Meijer, Lowes and other retailers

By Mary Kilpatrick, cleveland.com 46 mins ago
The U.S. Mint has slowed coin production to protect workers.

OK, I can see that. Makes sense.

During the height of the shutdown, fewer coins came back to the Federal Reserve from banks.
———
©2020 The Plain Dealer, Cleveland

This is the statement that throws me. Why do the coins have to "go back" to the reserve? Isn't the whole point of minting, and releasing them into circulation, to allow them to circulate? If they're in circulation, how can there be a shortage, unless the FED is causing the shortage by not allowing them to circulate?

None of it makes sense to my brain.

Roger

My bro works at Meijer and told me today they are not accepting cash, period.

FYI, I’ve never owned a debit card. Never needed one.

A local convenience store here has started buying coins. I was buying gas and had to wait while a woman and her daughters sold about ten dollars worth of change and they counted it out.

Never a good economic indicator if you see people paying for things will all coin. I always have patience for people doing this, obviously they are not in good shape...

Our credit union's lobby was still closed last time I was home , sure a lot of banks are in the same position so their coin sorters are not getting used. Spending much of my time in Florida now , so if they are reopen when I get back will cash in my clad from several years and release those discolored coins back into circulation.. Don't want to pay a fee on Coinstar unless I need to. Maybe get my self a new toy with the money.

Yesterday the merchant had a sign "either use a card or exact change". I didn't want to use a card, so I overpaid by 8 cents. It is all bizarre really. Due to the virus, I don't typically ask for small change in return anyway.

I've got a huge jar full of dirty clad if they want that :lol:

Do stores have to accept a pile of coins for payment?

I'm not sure if they HAVE to accept coins as payment legally, but it's something I am seeing down here more frequently in the past few months...
You know people are hurting when you see them buying bread and milk with coins.

A couple of months ago a seasonal food stand opened and when I called in my order they told me I had to pay with a credit card. I told them that I would not do that and if they wanted my business they would have to accept my cash. They took the cash.

From the Fed reserve website:

“ There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.”

Several grocery stores in my area have shut down their Coinstars and are cashing out change at their service counters for no fee.

Back
Top Bottom