Hey all you long handled beach scoop fans...

treasurebum

Forum Supporter
Here's a question for all you fun lovin' beach hunters and (closet Jimmy Buffet fans). What do you think of the Nuttall Diamond Head scoop compared to the Pro Stock - Pro Scoop or the (your suggestion goes here)?

My deal is, I like everything I read and see about the NDH (haven't actually tried one or even seen one in person), but its narrow like the one I presently use. I'm not worried about the height of the basket, as much as width and they all seem to be about the same on the length of the basket.

Besides hunting the ocean beaches, we have some muddy bottom fresh water beaches in the Pacific North West. But then, and not very deep is a layer of rock. I'd like to find one that's usefull for salt and fresh water with as few attempts as possible because of missing targets, due to a narrow channel being dug.

The one below is what I use now and it cost a few bucks less than the NDH. The Pro Stock - Pro Scoop goes for $40-$50 more than the other two, but is 9" wide or roughly 1-1/2" wider on both sides.

In advance, I'm thankful for the replies and am even open to some other suggestions, but the main criteria I'm looking for is Stainless Steel, wider than 6" and very durable.

picture.php

I have that same scoop you posted a picture of and I use it in the dry sand... for me its too small as a water hunting scoop... I purchased it from Colonial and am very happy with it for the dry sand... as to the Nuttall I tried one and its a good scoop but its very heavy ..wasn't for me...

I found the stealth 08 o ebay for $159 for the scoop. Add your own handle because the shipping of oversize applies and ships like a 70 lb pkg. This scoop is 8" wide with a 4" cap to catch those floating pull tabs.

Have a look at Stavr Scoop's.

Got a Evroexcavator this week which I tried out today and have no complaints at all with it. Very sturdy, not too heavy to use and easily gets into wet sand / shell / small rock mixes. $165USD inc postage to New Zealand and even with a Western Union fee for funds transfer it was the cheapest option I could find out of all the heavy duty scoops.

Got a Evroexcavator this week which I tried out today and have no complaints at all with it. Very sturdy, not too heavy to use and easily gets into wet sand / shell / small rock mixes. $165USD inc postage to New Zealand and even with a Western Union fee for funds transfer it was the cheapest option I could find out of all the heavy duty scoops.

Way to go Shilo.
Looking forward to seeing the gold.
Just keep an eye on the stingrays:grin:
HH

I have the same scoop and it's awesome!

I took the advice of the gents here and I'd recommend this 150%
Reilly's SS tip aluminum scoop. This will dig in asphalt almost.
2010-11-30_12-22-51_710.jpg

I have that one and a SS, the alum for some reason, the sand sticks, and is hard to dump quickly as compared to the SS???

I use the pro gets the small stuff on the first try!!!

Well most of the time anyway. LOL

And for those that don't like the straight up handle i've heard they are testing an adjustable angle handle brkt. that is retrofittable to the existing rev c pro's.

it also opens up the whole back of the scoop as a foot pad.

Steve :-)

Attachments

• belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,340
  • side view of scoop resized.jpg
    side view of scoop resized.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,406
The Kaptain Rocks!!

Well most of the time anyway. LOL

And for those that don't like the straight up handle i've heard they are testing an adjustable angle handle brkt. that is retrofittable to the existing rev c pro's.

it also opens up the whole back of the scoop as a foot pad.

Guess I'll put my lack of knowledge on display, even further for the entertainment of the masses. Looking at the front view (the mouth of the beast) What's the yellow deal in the back, a bottle opener or a magnet?
Oh, and here's a pic of another "Kaptain K" :lol:

Attachments

• the Captain.jpg
    the Captain.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,147
I have that same scoop you posted a picture of and I use it in the dry sand... for me its too small as a water hunting scoop... I purchased it from Colonial and am very happy with it for the dry sand... as to the Nuttall I tried one and its a good scoop but its very heavy ..wasn't for me...

"It's a small world afterall" :whistle: (there's a song you want stuck in your head all day). My Nephew and I both bought ours from Colonial too. I really like it and despite me torturing it, it looks brand new so I have nothing bad to say about it at all. My thing is I just want a wider one so not as many pull tabs....I mean, good targets escape down the sides.

Guess I'll put my lack of knowledge on display, even further for the entertainment of the masses. Looking at the front view (the mouth of the beast) What's the yellow deal in the back, a bottle opener or a magnet?
Oh, and here's a pic of another "Kaptain K" :lol:

the yellow thing is a rare earth magnet. i've seen pictures where they took the handle out of the handle brkt, drilled a round hole just large enough to hold a round rare earth magnet put it in and then put the handle back in handle brkt.

the magnet doesn't make much differance for me cause I use a sifter and dump everything in there to sort thru it.

Kaptain Kangaroo was an everyday thing for me dude!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Greenjeans included.

Attachments

• hole without magnet.jpg
    hole without magnet.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,250
  • magnet in.jpg
    magnet in.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,198
  • several slugs.jpg
    several slugs.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,262
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,231
Beach Scoops

I have been metal detecting on the beaches of Southern California for a number of years and have tried (and destroyed!) a lot of scoops. We have a lot of rocks over here and they chew up scoops fast. The best ones I have used by far are the Stealth Scoops from Sunspot products. I have had mine for over a year and they still look and work great. They are fantastic in the water and have a wooden handle that keeps it upright. They are also good in the dry and wet sand, but be forewarned, they are HEAVY. The plus side is that they will last a long time and provide years of service and a great upper body workout everytime you use it.

Back
Top Bottom