Coil Sizes

Trash Coil

Generally smaller coils see less area and are not congested by lots of trash around good targets. You can have areas with lots of chopped up aluminum cans and pulltabs. Bits of gum wrappers and such. A coin amongst this junk can get lost in the fog of metal when a larger coil sees all the available crap. Even with decent discrimination some machines can get overwhelmed with big coils detecting amidst lots of trash. So the little coil sees or detects much less area, and when you go over a good target, the target-to-trash ratio is easier for your machine to discern.

I find smaller coils reduce depth somewhat. But depth is not everything. To use a big, deep coil in an area that your machine cannot handle (because of trash) is foolish. This is where a smaller coil is handy. There may be other reasons for a small coil, like getting into tight spots around trees and rocks too, but metal trash it the only reason I go to a smaller coil.

Jennings

And fences, powerlines, closer to large metal objects than a large coil will allow. Also very handy, due to the ability to "see" a smaller area, for helping friends find lost rings, etc.

I have the MXT 300 and never use the 300 coil because the is area (Seattle) is heavy on the trash, so I use White's Eclipse 5.3 almost exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom