Moved out to the Milford PA area....Any DT hunters out this way?

Rocstx

NEPA...Milford Near Orange County NY, and Sussex N
Hey gang!

Looking to find a DT'ing hunting buddy who might know the Eastern PA area well enough for some good hunts etc...

Moved out here end of last year, and and getting settled in, and ready to fire up the old machine again soon!

Let me hear from you!

Thanks,
Jim

No one out here in eastern PA??

Man, before we moved out here to PA, I always heard that there were a lot of treasure hunters out this way...Now that I made that move to PA, I can't seem to find anyone around here to hunt with...

Oh well....It is what it is I guess...

Good luck to those of you who are still digging!

Im not too familiar with milford area but from what i understand the large state or national park just south of you is totally off limits and they will hassle you and threaten to take your equipment.... im quite the lone wolf hunter myself and not to good at door knocking.. im sure if you do some research there should be some detecting opportunities up there... if i was living in that area i would try to research where old private camps with swimming holes were located...unfortunately that off limits park gobbled up alot of good prospects...if there are any state parks in that area check on there policies 1st as they can vary widely. ..good luck..

Im not too familiar with milford area but from what i understand the large state or national park just south of you is totally off limits and they will hassle you and threaten to take your equipment.... im quite the lone wolf hunter myself and not to good at door knocking.. im sure if you do some research there should be some detecting opportunities up there... if i was living in that area i would try to research where old private camps with swimming holes were located...unfortunately that off limits park gobbled up alot of good prospects...if there are any state parks in that area check on there policies 1st as they can vary widely. ..good luck..

Hey, thanks very much for getting back to me! I do appreciate it! I will do some checking around here and see whats up! Thanks again!

Jim

lol what you are experiencing is others being territiorial... so here's an article you can read, about How to ask to detect with an experienced detectorist

Excerpt: "Watching Facebook and Forums, often I see newbies ask to tag along with more experienced detectorists. Detecting is a tough hobby to master, and many people struggle with the research, permission and technique combination required to make significant finds. I appreciate this, and try to carry newbies along when I can, but more often than not, these requests fall on deaf ears. I have a lot of people new to the hobby tell me that no one will invite them to hunt, and they are struggling with learning the ropes."

Read more.......

http://detecting365.com/hunt-experienced-detectorist/

Some tips that may help you find someone to hunt with...

lol what you are experiencing is others being territiorial... so here's an article you can read, about How to ask to detect with an experienced detectorist

Excerpt: "Watching Facebook and Forums, often I see newbies ask to tag along with more experienced detectorists. Detecting is a tough hobby to master, and many people struggle with the research, permission and technique combination required to make significant finds. I appreciate this, and try to carry newbies along when I can, but more often than not, these requests fall on deaf ears. I have a lot of people new to the hobby tell me that no one will invite them to hunt, and they are struggling with learning the ropes."

Read more.......

http://detecting365.com/hunt-experienced-detectorist/

Some tips that may help you find someone to hunt with...

Hi...Thanks very much for the linK! I will check it out, but just so you guys know, I am not new to the detecting/treasure hunting scene. I have been detecting since about 1986...But that being said, I am always one and willing to listen and learn from other who always love uncovering the treasure from beneath! lol....
My current dilema is...I recently moved to PA from NY where I have been detecting my entire for all of the years mentioned above...I was hoping to run into some fellow detectorist who might also like to hunt with groups and or a partner...
I do appreciate your comment all the same. (And yes, I do understand the territorial hunter lol)
Thanks again!
Be well!
Jim

welcome to the area. I am near by Garden State. I hunt near ya in Bucks County. I don't have any real awesome spots to hunt and offer you this tip. Ask to hunt old churches and older school yards. I have made some great finds in those type area.

HH Koz

I assume you mean the milford on jersey boarder? because there is another milford down west of quakertown which ive never hunted in but that milford has many many colonial homes in the countryside... Pennsylvania is kinda stupid that way having more than one town within the state with the exact same name...

I assume you mean the milford on jersey boarder? because there is another milford down west of quakertown which ive never hunted in but that milford has many many colonial homes in the countryside... Pennsylvania is kinda stupid that way having more than one town within the state with the exact same name...

Yes....Milford near Jersey border. Just moving out here recently, I am noticing much stupidness as mentioned lol....Also noticing people like to drive on my side of the road here much more then when I lived in Orange County NY. Not used to watching EVERY SINGLE second of other people looking to kill me with a head on collision! Anyway....Yes, I am in Milford near Matamoras/Port Jervis area....lol

Still looking for hunting partner!

Been trying for a long time now to find someone to DT with here in NEPA....
I am located in Milford PA near the NY/NJ border.
I am also very interested in any MDT clubs to join in with. Can't seem to find any of that either.
There has to be other people in my area MDT'ing. i find it hard to believe that no one is around given all of this history there is to "unearth and enjoy!"
Please let me hear form soak of you looking to get out and do some hunting. I am fairly new to this area as mentioned in other posts before, so I cant just run out and start hitting the ground like I used to on the NY side.
I just picked up my latest machine which is a Minelab Etrac. great machine, looking to get to diggin!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in here.

Happy hunts! to all of you out there!

I work in Milford but live in New York. I do try and go out after work some. I hit up some of the parks in Matamoris or Port Jervis area for a quick hunt. May be if you are around during the week we could do something/

Ray

I work in Milford but live in New York. I do try and go out after work some. I hit up some of the parks in Matamoris or Port Jervis area for a quick hunt. May be if you are around during the week we could do something/

Ray
Hi Ray...
Thanks for responding!

I work a second shift job M-F....But am around on most weekends.

Would like to get out there soon.

Keep me in mind for any weekend hunts.

Thanks,
Jim

milford pa

just got a new machine, and looking to do some detecting, not sure what the law is here in milford pa, does anyone have any insights on the law?
thanks

just got a new machine, and looking to do some detecting, not sure what the law is here in milford pa, does anyone have any insights on the law?
thanks

Bit of an old thread there CTX. But by your username, you have in your possession the King of Coins! Use it wisely Grasshopper....

thanks

ctx3030, your post is a testament to the "kernal" that gets this stuff going. No slam meant to you, since .... you're just on the receiving end, doing the understandable "human reaction" sort-of-thing.

Scroll back and see : Someone starts a post, about a specific geographic locale. No mention or question at all, via "laws" or "rules", right ? But then a few-posts-in, someone alludes to "laws and rules" that might affect the given-area.

Then ... sure enough, the MERE MENTION of *possible* "law/rules" will catch the eye of any newbie. Because ... of course... he doesn't want to "be arrested" or "get confiscations", etc... So ... of course .... the topic of conversation/concern changes to "laws/rules" for subsequent readers (esp. newbies).

Did I get this evolution right ? (as evidenced right-here on-this-thread). If so, this is exactly the same evolution I saw, firsthand, back in the mid to late 1970s (when I started as a teen) to the early 1980s. Back then, no one ever gave thought to "laws/rules". Oh sure .... we had the "presence of mind" to not tromp on obvious historic sensitive monuments. But for normal parks, schools, beaches, forests, deserts .... it would never-have-occurred to us that there was ever any problem.

But *the moment* someone came into the club meeting , speculating about a "law" or "rule", is the moment that everyone else around them began to wonder "Gee, I wonder if such & such other area is allowed ?". Questions that, prior to that .... no one had ever even thought to question or wonder. In places that ... quite frankly ... had always/ever been detected and no one ever had a problem .

But now that the "question" is out-in-the-air, the "mere question" simply fuels the "more questions". After all, you wouldn't want to "get arrested", right ?

So what was/is the best way to resolve this ? Simple : Go to a pencil pusher's desk, and ask "Is it ok to metal detect at such & such park or beach?". Right ? Who better to ask, than the powers-that-be, after all, right ?

The "pressing question" would get pushed up the pipeline, till it lands on the desk of a purist archie. Or someone who envisions geeks with shovels leaving holes. So the "no" answer gets passed out. Meanwhile, all the oldtimers are left scratching their heads saying "since when ?" :?:

And back then, I asked myself : "What changed ? Why did people start swatting hornet's nests ?". And I traced back the evolution, to exactly what is apparent even on this singular thread: It only takes a single musing of "Can I?" or "Is it legal?". And then that fuels the skittish persons to go seeking clarifications. And then .... presto ... a self-fulfilling vicious circle :(

Back
Top Bottom