The lifeguard wouldn't let me in the water!

It's obvious that this lifeguard metal detects himself. Some hottie must have lost some bling before you got there. He is looking to be a hero with gal!

Or he's just a SMART pirate!

In the last week here, a lifeguard on a 4 wheeler approached me near the water and asked me to help someone find a ring in the dry. It was lost a long way down the beach. The owner found it by the time I got there.

Lifeguards don't make up the rules here. Nor, are there other beach commando officals who do either.

Pirates are best unseen. :cool:

Do they need to know I am scooping generations of accumulated wealth out from under their noses? :no:

Given time to think about it they might get their own machine.

Good point.

I guess I have been lucky , Ive been detecting in the water right in front of lifeguards , even carrying my big scoop , nobody has said a word. If they did say something though I would respect that the safety of those kids in the water next to me is his responsibility and allow him to make the call.

Should have been nicer and given him your name and number so might call you if another swimmer approaches him letting him know they lost jewelry or whatever else in the water to give you a call. He might be more inclined to let you come in and hunt for it...........and walk home with a bunch of other goodies.

Bring you a whistle. When lifeguards enter the water here, they're either taking a number one or number two on shift in the water. I see one walk out with the orange floaty thingy and look around I move out of the area:laughing: Around here lifeguards don't really want to tick off anyone with a metal detector because they may lose their Oakley sunglasses and need you to find them;)

I was kicked out of the water once by a park Ranger even though I had been hunting the same lake for 20+ years. I e-mailed the Chief Ranger and explained my hobby and sent pictures of some of the hazardous trash that I remove from the lakes I hunt. He spoke with the Director of Parks and Recreation and they agreed that I could detect in the water and they thanked me for helping to keep the lake clean. :yes: I always have that e-mail in the car in case I have to show some new Ranger. HH!

Should have been nicer and given him your name and number so might call you if another swimmer approaches him letting him know they lost jewelry or whatever else in the water to give you a call. He might be more inclined to let you come in and hunt for it...........and walk home with a bunch of other goodies.

Valid point... May re approach him with that and see. I may not have been super "nice" per say, but I definitely wasn't mean or rude. Just more demanding of a valid reason than most.

Valid point... May re approach him with that and see. I may not have been super "nice" per say, but I definitely wasn't mean or rude. Just more demanding of a valid reason than most.

Next time may want to try and say " I'm here trying to locate someones lost ring. Imperative I try asap so it doesn't sink too deep."

I may be an even bigger smart mouth. In case of conflict with the local enforcers, I keep a big magnet under my finds basket with about 2 dozen partial fishing hooks and such stuck to it. When accosted I pull it out and ask if I need to return these to where I found them before I leave? Then innocently say I thought I was making the beach a safer place...

Most use the common sense rule.... some just dont have it and prefer to make their position more meaningful. Much the same way in parks now where its easier to say NO DETECTING than have anyone complain. Im starting to feel like a smoker or drinker.... if there are a few who find it offensive everyone else just goes along with them because it doesnt affect their lives or hobby. They would scream like a cat who just got his tail stepped on if it was something they enjoyed.

Dew

I'm pretty much 100% sure the lifeguard in the OP is a moron. He either got some memo or just watched the wrong news story about swimming electrocutions. What's been noticed lately is defective lighting instruments in swimming pools has been shocking a few people. I'll guarantee this was what was going through the lifeguard's cranium when he got the boot off the beach.

Just take a battery out of the MD and lick the contacts. He'll figure it out.

Last weekend i was in the water hunting and the lifeguards usually pay me no mi,d.This beach packs out with swimmers and i try to avoid them best i can.So im outside the flags or the designated swimming area when i see a mom and 3 kids wading out where i was.Next thing i see a lifeguard walking twords them i hear him say you cant swim here you have to come between the flags.So im like good cuz they were in my grid then i hear ...HEY HEY YOU...I look up and hes yelling at me saying no swimming outside the flags.I said im not swimming and i dont wanna be in the middle of all them people.He kept telling me i had to come down there and i said NOPE....Then i said whos in charge go get him he walks back to the lifeguard stand where theres like 10 of them all bading out around 1 stand.So here comes the head lifeguard hes like whats the problem...I said first of all im a grown ass man im not swimming and the last thing i want is to be in the middle of all the chaos.Then i said why are you guys packing everybody into that small area in front of 1 lifeguard stand when theres all this room.He walked away and the next thing i see is 2 of them walking my way with the green flags they put them in the sand and climbed up the lifeguard stand in front of me...:DBy this time the tide was over and 15 min later i left....I dont think they like me to much....

MY opinion on life guards. Young kids with their FIRST experience on having authority. Like some police officers when they are rookies they are over zealous. In time they learn to mellow out.

Sometimes you have to appease people when you have authority. The officers in some of the situations I have been in WANT to appease the homeowners or the resort owners. HOWEVER, I stand my ground and they have to basically say they failed and go back to the people and say they can do absolutely nothing.

I have a long funny story of a lifeguard situation when I was in Florida, some have heard it so I won't bore anyone with the story right now.

So im outside the flags or the designated swimming area when i see a mom and 3 kids wading out where i was.Next thing i see a lifeguard walking twords them i hear him say you cant swim here you have to come between the flags.So im like good cuz they were in my grid then i hear ...HEY HEY YOU...I look up and hes yelling at me saying no swimming outside the flags.I said im not swimming and i dont wanna be in the middle of all them people.He kept telling me i had to come down there and i said NOPE....Then i said whos in charge go get him he walks back to the lifeguard stand where theres like 10 of them all bading out around 1 stand.So here comes the head lifeguard hes like whats the problem...I said first of all im a grown ass man im not swimming and the last thing i want is to be in the middle of all the chaos.Then i said why are you guys packing everybody into that small area in front of 1 lifeguard stand when theres all this room.
One word: liability

If someone somehow drowns or gets hurt outside the designated area, it creates a whole mess of problems. Lakes, pools, etc are licensed, when required, to have a certain number of lifeguards calculated by the amount of swim space and/or the amount of swimmers. Of course it varies from state to state. The lifeguards at our park district are under regulations so tight it makes the Gestapo look like the Girl Scouts. If you screw up even once, you're gone. If they catch you not checking the perimeter of the pool, even when totally empty, you're gone. I've never seen ten lifeguards in one place ever unless it was a staff meeting.

Lifeguards: An easy job until some blue kid gets you fired.
(and, no, I've never been one but do know the rules they have to live by)

One word: liability

If someone somehow drowns or gets hurt outside the designated area, it creates a whole mess of problems. Lakes, pools, etc are licensed, when required, to have a certain number of lifeguards calculated by the amount of swim space and/or the amount of swimmers. Of course it varies from state to state. The lifeguards at our park district are under regulations so tight it makes the Gestapo look like the Girl Scouts. If you screw up even once, you're gone. If they catch you not checking the perimeter of the pool, even when totally empty, you're gone. I've never seen ten lifeguards in one place ever unless it was a staff meeting.

Lifeguards: An easy job until some blue kid gets you fired.
(and, no, I've never been one but do know the rules they have to live by)

At the beach you can catch the occasional lifeguard trying to hook up with the hot girls. What cracked me up was a couple weeks ago our volunteer lifeguards were begging for money. The signs said." Show your volunteer lifeguards support!" Only problem with that is I don't want some kid pissed off because he only got 5 bucks for the day in a bad mood thinking about walking off the volunteer job because he isn't getting enough tips:shock:

.... If you know you are within your rights NO....

Scuba, yes, it would *seem* to be true, that if we are within the laws and rules, then .... why pick low traffic times? Why avoid certain barney fifes? On the surface, yes it would seem like a contradiction. But remember: an authority, if they want to, can morph OTHER things they think applies. And at that point, it becomes arbitrary, interpretational, whimsical, etc.... And let's face it: detecting has connotations. And if someone is in a bad mood, and cares to think long enough and hard enough, they can merely tell you "scram" for some other thing they morph.

Could you fight it? Sure! But why go through the trouble ? It risks that someone higher up can simply invent a rule, that won't go in our favor. Thus when you hear someone say to go at low traffic times, it's often to simply keep you/us from being a big red "x" in need of attention. Sometimes less attention is better, not more.

Back
Top Bottom