If you have access to an early Sears style catalog (or early ladies magazines), I could use some help

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Hi all,

As many of you know, I am a photograph collector. I am researching a photograph that I think might be an original for one of the early Sears or Sears style catalogs. I am trying to see if I can find a match. The background on the image has been colored over by the photographer on the negative. After some research, I found it might have been done for the printing processes back then. The lady looks like she is modeling a hat or something similar for a catalog or early ladies magazine.

If anyone has access to an early catalog, or a copy of one, can you please take a quick look to see if this image is in it. I have looked in the 1900 catalog.

Thanks in advance.
Doug

picture.php

picture.php

Mods - If I have this in the wrong place, please move it for me. Thanks.

I just picked up a reproduction copy of the 1902 Sears, Roebuck catalog at a yard sale yesterday. Thought it would come in handy for possibly identifying some of the "whatzits" and mystery thingamabobs that are posted on the forum. It is 1,100+ pages in length, so there's lots of illustrations of old things for reference. Anyway, I went looking for your photograph, but sadly, found nothing. This particular edition uses very little photographs; 99% of all illustrations are drawings made from engraved printing plates. Anyway, I tried, and now you know one less place to look. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for looking. I know it is a long shot as it might have even been used for a local "mercantile catalog".

I appreciate it.

Doug

When I was a offset printer. On the plastic negatives, we used an opaque paint, to block out defects in the negatives and other things that we did not want to burn onto the plates for the printing forms. (:-O) On the old cast lead type plates or blocks, we would grind off the unwanted high spots.

When I was a offset printer. On the plastic negatives, we used an opaque paint, to block out defects in the negatives and other things that we did not want to burn onto the plates for the printing forms. (:-O) On the old cast lead type plates or blocks, we would grind off the unwanted high spots.

That's some great information that confirms what I found in my research!

THANK YOU!
Doug

Back
Top Bottom