Iron bias setting on the Vanquish 540 question...

John Madill

Elite Member
Hi

got a question specific to the Minelab Vanquish 540. The 540 has a high and low iron bias setting.

It defaults to the high setting. The manual says it allows "the detector to correctly classify large or complex ferrous targets" so they can be "more easily rejected".

sounds like a good thing.

Switching on the low setting "allows the detector to better identify coins amongst dense ferrous trash".

that sure sounds good too.

i just don't understand what the difference is and when each setting would be best used.

can one of you good people simplify this for me?

thanks!

Attachments

• post.IRON.BIAS.jpg
    post.IRON.BIAS.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,137
The low setting comes with lots of iron sounding like good signals too. Its a trade off. High setting has a better ability to discriminate iron, but will miss good targets if they are masked by iron targets. Low setting has better ability to see good targets in the iron, but there will be a lot of iron falsing that will sound like a good target.

Clear as mud, huh?

half empty half full half whole

Hey,

I think the practical application will help clarify the purpose and which setting you would choose. it's a judgement call you will need to make locally.

choose the high setting in more littered locations, littered more with iron. choose the low setting in a location with less iron. you'll know which is which as you extract targets, the amount of iron you pull up.

the technical difference will be in the algorithm thoroughness used by the vaquish. it will make a judgement call on what it tells you is iron. your choices seem to be more carefully inspect the target (low setting) or less carefully (high setting) i.e. a low setting will less likely call something ferous, a high setting will more likely call it ferous.

I say go with low setting and learn the sounds of the targets. I think your ear will better discriminate iron by personal experience than the electronics will, they don't learn or remember like you do.

Go to utube there’s a guy by....... iffy signals ......that goes over the 540’s iron bios pretty good showing it on and off ....difference’s

The Vanquished is a great detector my $230 Vanquished 440 hits 7-8 inch coins at my local park with solid Target ID numbers and screaming audio.......couple of my pass detectors costing over $1000 could not do this.

Thank you all for great advice.
Found that video, very helpful.
Thought i had seen just about all the 540 youtube videos but missed that one.
Got Netflix for xmas and can now watch youtube on the bigscreen.
Will be hearing coleslaw ringing up in surround sound!

I had the similiar question cause the manual doesn't tell you why or when.
Watch this video as the gal really explains it as best I have seen so far.

https://youtu.be/1bO-rmiYZOY

Attachments

• Iron_Bias.jpg
    Iron_Bias.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,035
Thanks for that link Iggy.

Learned a lot more about the difference between the 3 models.

Glad i picked the 540.

I thought the big difference was iron bias, bluetooth, and backlight but there are many more.

You will dig more iron like bent nails with s lower iron bias setting. The good part is you will dig more good targets that were masked by iron like bent nails. An experienced person with the Vanquish or Equinox can learn to tell the difference to a certain degree. Circling the target helps with telling the difference. Iron audio helps. But this is no doubt the most important setting on the Vanquish and Equinox. Especially if you are hunting an area pounded by other detectors.

Back
Top Bottom