~I dug a Silver 3 Cent Piece!!!!!!!!~

goes4ever

Elite Member
I went digging today with Diggerdan, we hunted two places first place was a farm that was gonna be tore down, owner was building a new house next door. I got 3 FIRSTS for me today

I got a deep, bouncy, 12-24 ....17-28.....12-28, depth meter showed around 8 inches, at about 5 inches I see a TINY silver disk, I pulled it out and right away I was excited. I yelled at Dan, "no way your gonna believe what I just dug!" A 3 cent silver!!!!! too bad the back had some funky green corrosion on it, the date is 90% worn off, with a loupe I can see 185-....I know it is a Type 1 so it has to be 1851 to 1853. I don't even care, worn or not I am THRILLED. I never dreamed I would ever dig one in a yard, possibly in a field but not at a farm yard....

My second first ever was a 1968 silver kennedy half dollar. I have dug barbers, walking Liberty, and franklin halves but NEVER a Kennedy, so once again, I was happy!

And my 3rd first of the day was a 1942 Australian penny, at first I thought I had a large cent or a token....I guess it is a LARGE cent, just not from the US mint..lol

great day of firsts for me, I made a video too, hope you enjoy it, thanks to Dan for taking me to a great spot to dig!

here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX8UXtdCtMY

dirty7-3-11.jpg

dirty3cent.jpg

7-3-11.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

congrats, those 3 cent silvers are very cool, ya don't see alot of those dug

Great

Great detecting a "fish scale" at eight (8) inches how cool is that? Nice finds !

Thats a great cent piece. Congrats and great coinage.
thank you!
Wonderful find Goes4. Wish we had some up here. congrats:yes:
Doc
thanks for the kind words!

Wow! That is amazing. Great job on the 3 center. I hope to dig one someday. :wow:

Nice video.
I have always wanted one, never dreamed I would dig one!

congrats, those 3 cent silvers are very cool, ya don't see alot of those dug
after seeing the size of it, I see why

Great detecting a "fish scale" at eight (8) inches how cool is that? Nice finds !
the depth meter said 8 inches, actual depth was around 5 inches, I imagine because it is so small it throws the depth off

Yup, those ARE a rare find. I've found two in 28 years of MDing.......Congrats!!!

Dusty
hope I don't go 24 more yrs for another :lol:

Grats!
Can I ask, what method did you use to clean the coins?
I really suck at it :(
for silver I just rinse, for wheats I use water, dish soap and a toothbrush. I had to use electrolysis on the 3 center, the green corrossion would not come off with water

Makes me wanna go knocking on doors in the morning to find some newer and "older" hunting grounds!

Don't hear of too many III centers being dug up!

NICE!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom