Bucketlister Thimble - albeit aluminum

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Had a surprise opportunity to go back to the field tear out and see if I could find any more silver.

Hahahahaha, well that didn't happen. Diggum found the last silver dime out of that place the day before and I guess I cleaned it out fairly well this past Saturday. I really figured there ought to have been more there. Another guy was there with a big coiled ML. He came up empty with regards to silver. jl1252 did a drive by and greeting me from his car (thanks Jeff! and sorry it was a wasted trip for you :()

I did find a crushed and beat to heck aluminum Thimble. To me a pretty cool find, my first ever thimble. Wish it was sterling of course, but man, it's a keeper :)

Also found the top part of a lantern which I think is pretty cool too.

So totals out of this tear out:

5 silver dimes ('43, '41, '64, '39, '44) - my first 5 silver day
1 sterling St. Christopher pendant
N.L. WOLD Good for 5 cents in trade token - bucket lister
Aluminum thimble - bucket lister
16 wheat cents
$4.33 in clad

I know of 1 more silver dime ('26) that came out of there and 4 more wheat cents (Diggum). There could have been others that hit the place after that Saturday I was there. No clue.

I really thought there would have been A LOT more silver (why no quarters or halves :lol:)

Anyway, super fun while it lasted, last night was truly my last trip there.

That said I may go try the school grounds or at least put it on my list of places to go during the summer :)

Attachments

• C24B693C-3054-4897-BA31-42584355F408.jpg
    C24B693C-3054-4897-BA31-42584355F408.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 4DFB037C-5E91-4FCB-B9DD-8F0429630B1B.jpg
    4DFB037C-5E91-4FCB-B9DD-8F0429630B1B.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 165
  • C7C110A8-87F6-4DD7-A923-7DED65DAA294.jpg
    C7C110A8-87F6-4DD7-A923-7DED65DAA294.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 161
Congrats on the finds. I found a lantern burner also a few weeks ago.

HD

Congrats on the thimble and finds. Sorry, there wasn't more silver, but maybe someone else hit it too. Give it another try and go slow, maybe there is more.

Awesome while it lasted and THANKS for the Field Pic.. I love seeing where others are hunting.. Just saying "I hunted a field tear out" is just NOT the same as actually seeing it.. appreciate that !

Congrats on the thimble and finds. Sorry, there wasn't more silver, but maybe someone else hit it too. Give it another try and go slow, maybe there is more.

I gave it a whirl :P and had fun!

I imagine some others had to have hit it, I can't be the only one who saw the news.

I have a hard time going slow, as I usually only have a couple hours available to detect every so often. So that really really really makes it hard to go slow. I need to cover as much as I can, blitzkrieg detecting :laughing: high tones drifter! Some places I can go on my lunch hour more frequently I will try and slow down a lot and see what I can find. Thanks Jam!

Awesome while it lasted and THANKS for the Field Pic.. I love seeing where others are hunting.. Just saying "I hunted a field tear out" is just NOT the same as actually seeing it.. appreciate that !

Thanks SoO! I wanted to wait till I was officially done hunting the place before I threw a photo up ;) just in case!

Nice job Jeff. That thimble is very cool, congrats.

My buddy and I sat there and watched that guy work on the tractor for half an hour and then decided to go with plan B. Glad you got back in there and squeezed out a few more goodies before they were forever entombed beneath astroturf...hahahah.

Still super cool. Very nice finds.

Tank you Dan!

Nice job Jeff. That thimble is very cool, congrats.

My buddy and I sat there and watched that guy work on the tractor for half an hour and then decided to go with plan B. Glad you got back in there and squeezed out a few more goodies before they were forever entombed beneath astroturf...hahahah.

When I got there, I ran into another detector guy (turned out to be a friend of Diggum's) and he was leery of going out when we saw that guy working. I was a bit impatient and didn't drive there to lollygag :lol: so eventually decided to just go in and start swinging. The guy finished shortly after and waved as he drove by.

I wonder too - if they shift more dirt, dig more trenches, if something else won't turn up.

Heck yeah, you did! Well, except for the bullets. You missed all of the bullets... :laughing:

Congratulations, and thanks, GS!! Looking forward to hunting with you!

Yeah, I didn't dig a single bullet there. Few chunks of lead. I wasn't digging all signals, at first I wasn't digging the 20's until I realized later when I started digging them, that most where wheat cents.

From looking at my old photos of the area books, that track used to be a public park before they made it into a track/field for the school. I wonder how many dirt moving iterations it went through - because there's an odd bit of stuff that came out of there (thimble/lanterns and '26-'58 coins) etc.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Look forward to meeting up some day for sure :)

That site gave you some very nice rewards Jeff. A Silver Thimble is also on my bucketlist. Thought I had it a few hunts back but alas it turned out to be aluminum. It did have advertising on it though (American Exchange Bank). Good luck on your future hunts. Trapper

That site gave you some very nice rewards Jeff. A Silver Thimble is also on my bucketlist. Thought I had it a few hunts back but alas it turned out to be aluminum. It did have advertising on it though (American Exchange Bank). Good luck on your future hunts. Trapper

That's cool your thimble had advertising on it - nice to tie it to a locale, and thanks for the kind words :) it was a good site for sure, one of my best. Here's to more to come for us both.

Back
Top Bottom