!!!!gold!!!!

DIRT DOBBER

Forum Supporter
I've been hunting the farm across the road from my farm this past week as it's been in the upper 30's and higher for the last few weeks. The owner of the place (80 years old and full of local knowledge) sits on a 175 acre cattle farm which includes half of the extinct c1800-1900 town of Mechanicsville, TN (the other half being on my farm), an existing schoolhouse (including two dormitories that are long gone, that dates from the same period), a church house that still exists (the owner of the farm rings the church bell every Sunday morning :grin:) along with a Tannery, a creek powered grist mill, and a cobbler. All nothing more than nail gardens today.

After spending several uneventful days next to the church where there were two hundred years and more of 'mountain folk' camp meetings and also where Union troops (Ohio Volunteer Militia) were stationed after the war (due to the antics of our local Confederate hero, 'Pomp' Kersey (MHRIP) and his blessed compatriots) I moved to the other side of the farm where one of the school dormitories used to stand thinking of snatching a little silver. Hunting with the Deus in mildly hot, square nail lace ground, I got a nice sounding 4 way whisper of a hit ringing in at 50-52 though it was close to a chunk of large iron. This is where pull tabs like to ring on the Deus so I almost passed it up having a twelve-pack worth already.

"Shoot, let's dig." I though as I grabbed the Predator and flopped out 8 inches of sod and red clay. There before me lay a two inch diameter bit of shiny gold. Those of you who have found gold know the bowel relaxing feeling of seeing what city folk call 'bling' (I have cable tv) spread out before you....."Nice" I thought....

Not a single sign of it being plated, smooth pure gold.....

....I flipped the back off with my pocket knife (I couldn't wait), and then I saw it.

....'Gold Filled'...

...drat!....

.....Not exactly what I hoped it would be, but, gold is gold and not even reading the word 'Filled' could take away the butterflies I still felt from the instant I saw that pretty, shiny gold come out of the ground.....

God I love it!

(Watch is an Elgin. Serial number dates it to 1927.)

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 641
That sounds like a great place to MDing . My favorite places are the historic sites
Good Luck with the rest of your hunts , nice watch looks like it belonged to some one important?
HH

That sounds like a great place to MDing . My favorite places are the historic sites
Good Luck with the rest of your hunts , nice watch looks like it belonged to some one important?
HH

Mine too, for sure.

I gave the gent who owns the farm the initials from the back (M.E.R.) and he's going to do some research. He has all the records from the schoolhouse and most of the local records of the town. The family that owned my farm (a century farm before I bought it) had a last name that started with an 'R' and were generation after generation the local Doctor, as did two of the Masters of the school. I hope to find out. Shouldn't be too tough with all the records we have. Another local family has published an in depth biographical book on the town as well. The town being a dozen miles from the nearest town the owner of the watch was most likely a citizen of 'Mechanicsville' and most probably 'important' but in our little mountain town even the 'important' citizens would have used a 'gold filled' watch as a 'Sunday go to meeting' watch because even our Doctor would have had to slop the pigs. :grin:

Nice find. Gold filled is better than plated! :laughing:

Yea, a lot of folks don't know the difference and it's mainly technological. Depending on the era it's between, if memory serves, 50 and 10,000 times thicker than plating. I dented the back of the casing with my shovel and didn't pierce the gold. Definitely not 'electroplating'. :shock:

VERY nice find. An eye catcher for display. And at least gold filled is better than gold plate. Plate is a much thinner gold and usually lesser quality. You did great. Congrats!

That's a very good description of the area you live in and it's history. Its as if people are still respectful of the past, I think ringing the church bell every Sunday is a reassuring thing in this world. Thanks for such a great post, congrats on the beautiful gold piece.

Back
Top Bottom