Mixed Bag Of Finds

angellionel

Elite Member
This week?s finds are from both land and water hunts. The best is an 1867 shield nickel, and a large and heavy 14kt wedding band, both yielded while shallow water detecting. From land hunts I picked up 18 wheats, all in poor shape though, 2 IH?s and 2 silver dimes.

This will be my last post of finds for a while, at least until I get my camera fixed. It just takes too much time to scan the items, and then fix them with a photo-editing program. The scanner is only good for scanning flat items, like coins. The rings don?t scan well at all, especially when they have stones, as is the case of the 10kt ring included below. A scanner simply can?t show the nice details of the rings.

Anyway, I still look forward to seeing and reading about everyone else?s finds! I may not be able to comment on all posts, but I do enjoy viewing the goods, so keep ?em coming!

HH!

Angel

The goods ?

The shield nickel is dated 1867. I found it when about knee deep in the water at the pond I?ve been hitting lately. The buff is dated 1925, and was found at the same pond.
coins070506A.jpg

Other nickels found at the pond. They are dated 1940, 1940 and 1946.
coins070506D.jpg

I found these bullets at the same pond.
finds070506B.jpg

The pond also yielded two silver toe rings and a junk one.
finds070506A.jpg

This 10kt ring was found in the beach area of another pond. It has a green stone.
finds070706A.jpg

The next few finds came from a Connecticut beach while shallow water detecting.

This 14kt wedding band, large and heavy, made my day. It was deep in the sand.
finds070806A.jpg

This silver ring is thick and wide.
finds070806B.jpg

I was waist deep at low tide when I picked up this 10kt gold earring with three CZ?s.
finds070806C.jpg

This is a large 10kt earring. It has the name ?Lucy? on it.
finds070806D.jpg

Now some land finds.

The silver coins are always a pleasure to find. These are dated 1919-D and 1956.
coins070606B.jpg

Two nice IH?s, dated 1908 and 1906.
coins070606C.jpg

These are the oldest of the 18 wheats I found. They are dated 1910, 1913, 1920 and 1926.
coins070606E.jpg

This looks like a biker?s pin. The scan is about twice the actual size. It is heavy too.
finds070406A.jpg

Awesome finds!!!! This is one of the better posts. Thanks for showing us.

Congrats!!!!

Congrats on another great catch. :shock: You've got me itching for a waterproof detector. Don't leave us drool-less for too long.

Good Huntin

Angellionel.......Nice post ! ...Sorry about the trouble with your
camera.....hope you can get it fixed soon.

I assume the pond has a mud bottom; how do you go about
retrieving articles out of that muck, especially if they are down in
it pretty deep ?

Of course, I've never done any water hunting, but I'm sure there
are different retrieval methods than for land.

Look forward to your reply !  :grin:

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Todd, most of the ponds I've been hitting have a gravelly bottom covered by several inches of mud. Some areas, though, have a deeper layer of mud, so it makes it difficult to retrieve the targets. It can be done, but it takes some doing. Many targets won't sink much after hitting the gravel, though some of the finds have been deep, like the shield nickel. The tones are barely audible.

One thing is for sure; I won't go into the pond without my waders on! Too creepy! :lol: The exception, of course, would be a swimming area. Some ponds have those too. :)

I'm using a 48" long handled scoop, with a 10 1/2 scoop head. I'm able to dig into the muck quite well.

Good going Ang! That is a biker's pin had a couple just like it. Did you ever get back out to the woods we hunted? Cladius.

angellionel said:
Thanks for the comments everyone!  :)

Todd, most of the ponds I've been hitting have a gravelly bottom covered by several inches of mud. Some areas, though, have a deeper layer of mud, so it makes it difficult to retrieve the targets. It can be done, but it takes some doing. Many targets won't sink much after hitting the gravel, though some of the finds have been deep, like the shield nickel. The tones are barely audible.

One thing is for sure; I won't go into the pond without my waders on! Too creepy!   :lol:  The exception, of course, would be a swimming area. Some ponds have those too.  :)

I'm using a 48" long handled scoop, with a 10 1/2 scoop head. I'm able to dig into the
muck quite well.

Thanks for the reply Angellionel.........interesting ! 

You are probably aware that ponds usually have an underwater shelf (Thats what you
are standing on in the shallow water) that eventually breaks to deep water.

If you were to get all excited over a good find and slip off the edge
with those waders on and  water got inside  it could pull you down
(scare the heck out of you !! :shock:) and make it tuff swimming to shore, not to mention the possible loss of your metal detector !!!!

If you aren't already, you might want to consider attaching the MD to your belt or
wrist with a short lanyard, and a safety rope from yourself to a nearby tree or stake on
the bank........might save you life !

It's sort of like a helmet and proper attire for bikers , or fire alarms.....99% never needed, but when murphy's law shows you that last 1%, you could lose big time !

I'm only saying these things cause I care about my fellow 'tectors.
Do what you think is best, but please be careful.  :D

Best Regards,

Todd

ToddB64 said:
You are probably aware that ponds usually have an underwater shelf (Thats what you
are standing on in the shallow water) that eventually breaks to deep water.

Yep, been using waders for surf and freshwater fishing for about 30 years, so I'm fully aware of the dangers. I do appreciate the reminder though.  :)

Cladius said:
Good going Ang! That is a biker's pin had a couple just like it. Did you ever get back out to the woods we hunted? Cladius.

Cladius, the last time I was there was back in early May. I haven't been back due to the ticks and black flies. I would like to hit the area again during October or November.  :)

Great set of finds as usual Angel. I love that shield nickel. If I ever make it out east I will be sure to look you up. I think most of us could learn an awful lot from a day out in the field with you. :yes:

Thank you, Steve! I appreciate the compliment too, though I'm certain we would learn from each other's experience.  :)

real nice bunch of finds ,angellionel hey just out of curiosity which do you enjoy more, water or land hunting

del said:
real nice bunch of finds ,angellionel hey just out of curiosity which do you enjoy more, water or land hunting

Thanks, Del. :)

You know, my answer may be a different one a year from now, but at this time I'm actually enjoying both equally as much. Both types of detecting have their own set of challenges. :)

Let me know when you want to come back up and I'll make time to get with you. Cladius.

Hey Angel, just curious what VDI the shield nickel and Buff came up as. I have found plenty of modern nickels in the 18-20 range and was wondering if the Buffs were the same.

SteveMN said:
Hey Angel, just curious what VDI the shield nickel and Buff came up as.  I have found plenty of modern nickels in the 18-20 range and was wondering if the Buffs were the same.

Actually, I found those while working the water at a pond with the Excalibur, so there's no VDI. :)

However, my experience with the DFX and nickels has been that modern nickels tend to hit at just about +19, with only slight fluctuations, unless they are deep, in which case the VDI tends to jump as high as +40, which has been the case with deeply buried Buffs. The V nickels have hit at between +15 and +18, at least those that were less than 6 inches deep. Not sure about the Shield, though, since I haven't hit on one with the DFX. :)

Thanks for the info Angel. If I would have paid more attention to where you found the shield nickel I wouldn't have asked at what VDI you found it at. I'm sure I don't really have to worry about finding a shield anytime soon since the age of the area I hunt in is relatively young compared to your stomping grounds on the east coast. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom