Sanded in ?

KOB

Forum Supporter
The last recent surf event was not very good. Big waves but no major erosion. A few spots here and there , no big deal. No major finds. Seems to have brought sand in due to the tides.

Over the next few days in So.Cal we are expecting more big surf. But this time it will correspond with extreme high tides. I'm crossing my fingers this time. It's been awile since both have happened at once.

What I have found odd , for the first time ever , is that I have more gold than silver. It's still worse than last year , but maybe we are just getting a late start with our weather patterns. Very unusual things I see are happening with the So.Cal scene lately. Good luck guys !

Are you afraid if you post finds someone will claim them? :D

It's more of taking the time to figure the site out to be able to post. Most finds are on my cell. Don't really want to go through a computer if I can avoid it. Idk. Claims ? There might be a few easily identifiable mind blowing pieces. Is that why you go for prehistoric gold ? Because you know they can never be returned ? Lol...

It's more of taking the time to figure the site out to be able to post. Most finds are on my cell. Don't really want to go through a computer if I can avoid it. Idk. Claims ? There might be a few easily identifiable mind blowing pieces. Is that why you go for prehistoric gold ? Because you know they can never be returned ? Lol...

Nope.. I like history anyone can find fresh drops... I love doing the research to find the old spots...some turn out great some are complete busts...

.... but no major erosion. ....

Mr Kob, remember this thread ? :

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3171458#post3171458

I looked at the long-term forecast, at that time, and did not for-see any erosion. As you can see from my inputs on that thread.

It gets complicated, because .... sure .... EVEN ON LAME DAYS , there will always be random pockets, or fluke nice rings. But as for true-thick-erosion pockets , where mother nature groups 100's of targets in zones as-fast-as-you-can-dig, .... no .... nothing on the horizon so far :(

Went to Santa Cruz on Sunday, because there was forecast to have been some SW swell. But mother nature was stubborn and they remained NW overnight on Sat. PM. Sure as heck, just a bunch of straggler clads, and a lone silver ring.

Yes there's some winter/lunar high tides coming up later this week. But not seeing the right swell heights. To whatever extent a Friday "bump" is coming, it's NW. Thus not right for your So. CA facing beaches. Nor high enough for our NW facing beaches.

Again, as I say, there will always be flukes. So I'm only referring to the legendary stuff where you MUST play hookie from work, blah blah.

Kob, I text my photos to my wife then download them back to my phone to make them small enough to post, if that helps. HH

Mr Kob, remember this thread ? :

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3171458#post3171458

I looked at the long-term forecast, at that time, and did not for-see any erosion. As you can see from my inputs on that thread.

It gets complicated, because .... sure .... EVEN ON LAME DAYS , there will always be random pockets, or fluke nice rings. But as for true-thick-erosion pockets , where mother nature groups 100's of targets in zones as-fast-as-you-can-dig, .... no .... nothing on the horizon so far :(

Went to Santa Cruz on Sunday, because there was forecast to have been some SW swell. But mother nature was stubborn and they remained NW overnight on Sat. PM. Sure as heck, just a bunch of straggler clads, and a lone silver ring.

Yes there's some winter/lunar high tides coming up later this week. But not seeing the right swell heights. To whatever extent a Friday "bump" is coming, it's NW. Thus not right for your So. CA facing beaches. Nor high enough for our NW facing beaches.

Again, as I say, there will always be flukes. So I'm only referring to the legendary stuff where you MUST play hookie from work, blah blah.
The only way I know for certain of what you call "legendary" is for there to be a hurricane out off of baja. The rest is wishful thinking. Glad to hear you really went down to the beach.

Kob, I text my photos to my wife then download them back to my phone to make them small enough to post, if that helps. HH

Thanks Muskrat , but I don't want the wife to see all my photos/finds. Next thing I know , I gotta pull pieces on loan from the Getty Museum.
Hmmmm... Or was that the Guggenheim ?

Come on Mr KOB, give us some inspiration...:yes:

You are barking up the wrong tree getting any inspiration from KOB... I sense jealousy from his remarks about us hunting for old gold :lol:

I'm waiting patiently for the upcoming minus tides to head back out... almost all my regular work is finished for the year except for the occasional plowing jobs I have recently had..

You are barking up the wrong tree getting any inspiration from KOB... I sense jealousy from his remarks about us hunting for old gold :lol:

I'm waiting patiently for the upcoming minus tides to head back out... almost all my regular work is finished for the year except for the occasional plowing jobs I have recently had..

I am definitely envious of those hunters who find "old " gold. Finding gold is always exciting but to find gold that has been lost over 100 years would be extra special. :wow: Conditions look pretty good this weekend and I'll take any precious metals- old or new. :yes::D

I am definitely envious of those hunters who find "old " gold. Finding gold is always exciting but to find gold that has been lost over 100 years would be extra special. :wow: Conditions look pretty good this weekend and I'll take any precious metals- old or new. :yes::D

Oh yeah.. I'm jealous of the AMOUNT of prehistoric gold they find. They certainly have more history and areas to work than we do in So.Cal. Maybe more natural as well. Here we have the San Diego , Newport and LA bays. All man made. Yes they are old , but also very developed. Many areas have been extensively hunted and hard to access now. I don't do water hunting as much as I used to. I think for a younger scuba type guy , he could relive my epic glory days. Ala these east coast guys ! This weekend should be decent , but we won't get the huge surf like up in Nor.Cal.

.... , but we won't get the huge surf like up in Nor.Cal.

It's all relative. Each beach in CA "acclimates" to its annual "norms".

So, for example, in North/Central CA it might be "normal" to get multiple times-per-year of 15 to 18 ft. NW swells (since we're closer to Alaska), yet: Those NW facing beaches are simply acclimated to that level of surf. Such that it takes AT LEAST that much (and ... actually ... 19 to 20 ft. realistically) to truly erode our NW facing beaches.

Versus SW facing beaches, in our area (Santa Cruz, etc...) were a mere 5 to 6 ft, over a few consecutive days, can erode. Versus "5 to 6 ft." on our W to NW facing beaches, would do utterly no erosion at all.

Do you see how each beach acclimates to its annual almanac "norms" ?

Mother nature adjusts her beaches so that the off-shore shallows (slopes, off-shore, unseen to the naked eye) "buffer" to the next storms. Each beach adjusts to the "norms".

So you can't simply go by surf/swell heights. You have to take into account tides & direction and # of consecutive days, as well.

.... I think for a younger scuba type guy , he could relive my epic glory days....

And the off-shore under-water world (where you and I "mere mortals" can't reach) is not going to be magically any better.

Because: The undersea bottom-land is JUST AS SUSCEPTIBLE as the inter-tidal zones, that you and I face every-day. In other words : Just as : Erosion and in-fill affect our hunt zones (eg.: rules-of-erosion) , then SO TOO is it the same for the under the water world.

There are most-definitely moving sand dunes, under the water (ie.: sterile zones, etc....) JUST AS THERE IS above the water. So, for example: You can most definitely find a 1 ft. deep freshly lost soda can, under water. In the same way that you can find a 1 ft. deep soda can or zinc penny, above water as well (if you are in a "soft-sand" zone ).

Likewise, I suppose you can find "erosion zones" underwater, in the same fashion as you can find them above water.

The difference is: Unlike where .... above water, you can effortlessly eyeball scores of linear miles, and simply walk/drive to the "right spots", it's: Not so easy underwater. Where your visibility is limited. And ability to "swim to the right zones" isn't the same as the above-water visibility , ability to walk to t he "low spots" and "cuts".

Thus: Just because the underwater world isn't easily accessible (without scuba) : Doesn't mean there is a magical bed of un-harvested targets. Because, just like the inter-tidal zone, it DOESN'T MATTER how much historical "traffic" is there. You can have had all the traffic in the world , yet zero targets, if mother nature isn't eroding. You can very-much find yourself on endless sterile underwater zones, in the same way that you can find yourself on endless sterile above-water zones.

Being underwater will not avail yourself of any better odds. In fact, you will be handicapped, if anything. Due to your lack of mobility, movement, visibility, etc....

And the off-shore under-water world (where you and I "mere mortals" can't reach) is not going to be magically any better.

Because: The undersea bottom-land is JUST AS SUSCEPTIBLE as the inter-tidal zones, that you and I face every-day. In other words : Just as : Erosion and in-fill affect our hunt zones (eg.: rules-of-erosion) , then SO TOO is it the same for the under the water world.

There are most-definitely moving sand dunes, under the water (ie.: sterile zones, etc....) JUST AS THERE IS above the water. So, for example: You can most definitely find a 1 ft. deep freshly lost soda can, under water. In the same way that you can find a 1 ft. deep soda can or zinc penny, above water as well (if you are in a "soft-sand" zone ).

Likewise, I suppose you can find "erosion zones" underwater, in the same fashion as you can find them above water.

The difference is: Unlike where .... above water, you can effortlessly eyeball scores of linear miles, and simply walk/drive to the "right spots", it's: Not so easy underwater. Where your visibility is limited. And ability to "swim to the right zones" isn't the same as the above-water visibility , ability to walk to t he "low spots" and "cuts".

Thus: Just because the underwater world isn't easily accessible (without scuba) : Doesn't mean there is a magical bed of un-harvested targets. Because, just like the inter-tidal zone, it DOESN'T MATTER how much historical "traffic" is there. You can have had all the traffic in the world , yet zero targets, if mother nature isn't eroding. You can very-much find yourself on endless sterile underwater zones, in the same way that you can find yourself on endless sterile above-water zones.

Being underwater will not avail yourself of any better odds. In fact, you will be handicapped, if anything. Due to your lack of mobility, movement, visibility, etc....
Tom . Can you then explain why the lake scuba hunters and back east boys in goldfish bowls are showing great finds ?

Tom . Can you then explain why the lake scuba hunters and back east boys in goldfish bowls are showing great finds ?

:laughing:

I admit where I hunt is like a goldfish bowl... but its still a lot of work to move boulders and rocks in general to get at the goods... you should see my scoops how they get deformed, bent, ripped apart... OBN when he came for a visit his Miller scoop took a beating... If Long Island NY wasn't where it is I would be on the ocean front blame the glaciers :D

I like fish bowl hunting... I don't have to deal with waves unless there is a tropical system even so I will hunt the slopes to see if it throws up gold during such storms... I was lucky enough to be hunting one such storm and saw a ring heading up then back down the slope but I got it by stomping on it... turned out to be a light 14k signet ring, antique just the way we like them... :yes:

:laughing:

I admit where I hunt is like a goldfish bowl... but its still a lot of work to move boulders and rocks in general to get at the goods... you should see my scoops how they get deformed, bent, ripped apart... OBN when he came for a visit his Miller scoop took a beating... If Long Island NY wasn't where it is I would be on the ocean front blame the glaciers :D

I like fish bowl hunting... I don't have to deal with waves unless there is a tropical system even so I will hunt the slopes to see if it throws up gold during such storms... I was lucky enough to be hunting one such storm and saw a ring heading up then back down the slope but I got it by stomping on it... turned out to be a light 14k signet ring, antique just the way we like them... :yes:

Last year I eyeballed a small half carat engagement ring going down the slope in heavy surf. Threw my scoop on top of it. Took a beating , but wasn't going to lose it. I must have looked funny to the joggers going by ! I really didn't need a detector. Coins were washing out all over the place.

Conditions are different everywhere and constantly changing. Right now where I am it is totally sanded in. We are getting these storms out of the north that pushed the outer sandbar right on to the beach, flat as a pancake there now and anything decent is under 3 feet of sand in the water. If a consistent cross current comes in for say five days it will wash out areas in the water, sometimes only 50 feet long and sometimes 100 yards long, gotta hit those spots hard when they are available.
Granted, this is for hunting in the water, i rarely bother swinging over the wet sand and NEVER hit the dry.

Conditions are different everywhere and constantly changing. Right now where I am it is totally sanded in. We are getting these storms out of the north that pushed the outer sandbar right on to the beach, flat as a pancake there now and anything decent is under 3 feet of sand in the water. If a consistent cross current comes in for say five days it will wash out areas in the water, sometimes only 50 feet long and sometimes 100 yards long, gotta hit those spots hard when they are available.
Granted, this is for hunting in the water, i rarely bother swinging over the wet sand and NEVER hit the dry.

A good 80% of my gold is found in the wet sand... I think I will visit you ;)

Back
Top Bottom