Old east coast button on a west coast beach

Muskrat

Found this on the beach this week as well as a very tiny and thin 925 ring. I already posted the find to the identify section and it has been I'd as an 1800s New York milita staff button! My first 1800s find. I am just blown away to find it deep down in the wet sand on the other side of the country. How long has it been waiting down there to be found!? Just neat, so I thought I would post it here too.

Thanks for reading and hh

Attachments

• 20191029_192920.jpg
    20191029_192920.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 20191029_185200.jpg
    20191029_185200.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 328
Nice find. But not as rare as you think around the L.A area beaches.

I've never found one so I would say rare for here even. Nice save!

Thanks guys! KOB finds a handful a week and throws em in the trash with the can slaw:laughing:

In all seriousness I reckon he means east coast relics in general?

Thanks guys! KOB finds a handful a week and throws em in the trash with the can slaw:laughing:

In all seriousness I reckon he means east coast relics in general?

No. But over the last 4 yrs , I have found about a dozen old buttons. I have one very small button that might be from the 1700s or early 1800s. Idk. About half are amazingly in good condition. Yours is very old and indeed rare to find on our west coast beaches. Mine were all found within the L.A area. I think they are from sailors , shipwrecks or just travelers from back in the day.

Ha, word of warning, that 30% Tom tax gets mighty expensive for a working man down here!

Muskrat, I just received your last check for your 30% tariffs. Thankyou .

My first thought was "I wonder how many things like this tom has scooped off that beach." Haha

Tom lives real close to Monterey and I'm surprised he hasn't snagged all of those!:lol:

Well, yes, I *do* leave a few buttons and coins for visitors. After all, how else am I supposed to get my 30% if they find nothing ? :?:

Got into md'ing here @ the mid 1970s when I was in Jr. High school (14 or 15 yr. old). Then graduated to trying the beaches when I got my drivers license in High School in about 1980. (Could finally drive to the beaches, 30 min. away). But it wasn't till 1982-83 storms that the "lights went on" and I began to figure out the erosion processes. There were some guys around here, that year, that had 100 silver coins in a single day, d/t they were at the right-place at the right-time.

Trouble is: Erosion episodes like that are few and far between. Doh !

Back
Top Bottom