$5 gold piece, and 2 silvers

Steve77

Elite Member
This is my brother in law's find, but he doesn't post online so he said I could share it here.

Last spring, my brother in law mentioned wanting a detector, so I offered him my Ace 250 for $100, and I modified a Centech pinpointer for him. He lives a couple hour away from me but eventually I got it to him and showed him the basics. He was hitting mostly schools and parks and finding tab and clad. Well this spring he was eager to get out detecting but the ground was mostly frozen so he started swinging in the woods behind his house. He found only one spot that got enough sun to be thawed enough to dig, and dug this gold coin! It was 2 inches deep and comes in at a 68 on my AT pro.

He has also found a war nickel in his front yard and a silver ring alongside his driveway!

Last week he ordered an AT Pro and has plans to get either a TRX or a Pro-Pointer AT.

Just goes to show you that you don't have to have a thousand dollar machine to find the good stuff. Congrats to your Brother-In-Law and to you for getting him hooked for life. Most will go their whole detecting life without finding a gold coin.

Just goes to show you that you don't have to have a thousand dollar machine to find the good stuff. Congrats to your Brother-In-Law and to you for getting him hooked for life. Most will go their whole detecting life without finding a gold coin.

I told him not to expect to find more any time soon! Locals said his property used to be an old brick or block factory, and the neighbor said he found remnants of an old still on the property. The location he found the gold seems completely random. Certainly not a place I would expect to find one.

Wow... :wow:

It just goes to show that you just have to get out where you can and swing the thing, and never know what might be hiding, or where! Big congrats to your BIL, bet he's confirmed addicted now!:yes:

I love to read stories like this about great finds with an entry level machine! Huge kudos to him!

Now, talk about beginner luck :wow::shock:
Congrats to your brother in law!
And thanks for sharing this amazing find!

Talked to him tonight, his luck continues! He found a war nickel in his kids Easter egg from my parents Easter egg hunt!

Huge congrats. I kept thinking all winter that I'm going to find a gold coin this year, now there is one less in the dirt so my odds just dropped a little. LOL.

Very sweet find! Its always nice to see a coin posted here that is worthy to be slabbed.

Sometimes a real goodie is sitting there in places you'd never pick to detect. My first silver was on a hiking trail atop of a 4' Mossy bank. It looked like a nice place people would sit. 2" under the moss! On top of this bank/hump. Using a BH discovery I got a nice 1964 Kennedy half. Hooked!! That hooked me forever!

Back
Top Bottom