Help ID'ing Misc. Items

cor3y7

Nothing exciting here, but I try to identify everything I find. Recovered from ca. 1850 - ca. 1970 home site. Any ideas? I'm sure they are pretty mundane items.

Seems like there is wood remnants inside... perhaps some kind of cap for a post?
l66UBBr.jpg

PiWO6hs.jpg

Some kind of pipe cap?
vQ5zHr8.jpg

35xwkMj.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The second one is a lock washer of sorts. It goes over a nut and is secured with a cotter key to keep it from loosening. The same way as a castle nut.

Thank you. I was thinking it was something of that sort. A little more searching and I found that they are called "spindle nut retainers". Much appreciated!

Agree on ID of second item.

The first item seems not to be a post cap since post end would have 'end' grain on the wood.
The wood left in that item is cross grain.
I don't know what is is yet but the wood grain direction could be a hint as to what it is or what it is not.

That's a good observation, but kind of hard to understand how it would have attached to a beam running in that direction versus extending into it. A light switch has been suggested, but I think the interior slot is too narrow. Perhaps a door bell housing?

That's a good observation, but kind of hard to understand how it would have attached to a beam running in that direction versus extending into it. A light switch has been suggested, but I think the interior slot is too narrow. Perhaps a door bell housing?

I swear I've seen a doorbell that looked like that, but can't find any examples online.

I have no clue at all, but you did a great job with some nice, close-up, well lit and in-focus photos. Wish others on the forum asking for ID help took the time to provide the same quality. Nice job.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom