probes and screwdrivers

renold

I talked of this probe I made in other threads but have never posted a pic. With some of the questions I have seen lately I thought I would show it. Also is my sharpened screwdriver.The brass rod is 12.5 inches long and the screwdiver is 5.25 inches. All I did to make the probe was drilled a small hole in the golf ball ,which closes when you pull the drill bit out. Then I clamped the ROD in a vice with less than the distance of the golf ball protruding and beat the golf ball onto the rod. It has proven to hold pretty good.

Attachments

• 100_1291.jpg
    100_1291.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_1292.jpg
    100_1292.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 298
You pinpoint the object in the ground by pushing the rod and you can feel the object (ie coin,relec,etc.).It is made of brass for use where you think it might be something you don't want to damage. I use the screwdriver (hard steel) in areas where I know is just current clad coins (for coin popping and pinpointing). Hope this helped.

Here is my coin popper and a probe. The probe tips are soft solder tips, when the end wears off I put on more solder. Rob

Attachments

• coinpopper.jpg
    coinpopper.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 262
  • probe3.jpg
    probe3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 260
  • probe2.jpg
    probe2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 265
Probes work well in soft soil with no rocks. Where I am at, the sod in the parks is layed over rocky soil. The probe will hit rocks and give a false location. So, I just pin point the best I can and dig a plug. Works for me.

RD :cool:

Back
Top Bottom