Hello from Medieval Europe.

Mr.Detective

Hi guys

I'm in detecting hobby for a bit over 10 years now.
We have to take certain courses, pass exams and apply for search permit every year (all free). ''State Licensed hobby archaeologists'' is what they call us. :laughing:

I collect all kind of coins, but mostly interested in Viking Age artifacts.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

While I would not want to be required to be state licensed, what they call you there (''State Licensed hobby archaeologists'') sure sounds better than what detectorists in the U.S. might be called occasionally, things along the line of "old retired trash pickers" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have seen where some local areas in some states here require a permit to hunt certain parks, there are states where no such permits are required and no federal requirement for a permit.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome to the forum. And yes: I too am an archaeologist. SELF-licensed :laughing:

Hello: eating my heart out with envy! You can find Roman gold coins and many other great treasures.

Welcome from NY! I cant imagine the history you have all around you and can uncover. My 100 year old finds are newer finds for your 1,000 year old ones!

Greetings from Austin, Texas!

We have to take certain courses, pass exams and apply for search permit every year (all free). ''State Licensed hobby archaeologists'' is what they call us.

What country is this that offers courses, provides exams etc?
Are you required to record any data while performing your duties as "hobby archaeologist?"

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us! We'll look forward to hearing about your finds. :thumbsup:

Greetings from Austin, Texas!

What country is this that offers courses, provides exams etc?
Are you required to record any data while performing your duties as "hobby archaeologist?"

Oh so many responses, thanks guys!

The country is a small called Estonia. (Baltic states)
Yes, we do have to report all the items we find with pictures and GPS coordinates. Some items are collected by State official archeologists and you get paid for those findings above market value (to eliminate the temptation of bringing items to the black market).
Last year they took from me:
1) bronze age spiral ring
2) vikings pendant
3) hand bracelet dated 9 AD.

Very rarely State is interested in coins, for example we don't have to report coins younger than 16th century.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom