Indian Head Error?

AlinMN

Elite Member
Recently bought some indian head cents and at first thought this one was just damaged, but on closer inspection it looks like it might be a mint error. Maybe someone here can tell what it is? I don't know much about errors

IMG_7572.jpg

It appears to be the reverse image of a coin stamped into the area between the date and running through the word America. You can see the denticles of a rim on both sides of the I in America and some lettering beneath it.
IMG_7564.jpg

This picture you can see what looks like the top of another R stamped above the R in America
IMG_7569.jpg

Any thoughts about what happened to this coin? Die clash? Another coin got in the way when this one was minted? Maybe this coin got in the way of another one being minted? I don't know.:shrug:

Attachments

• IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_7568.jpg
    IMG_7568.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 677
I'd tend to agree with you here. That definitely looks like reversed letters near the rim there. Good job spotting that. I don't think it looks like damage at all. Cool coin man!

Absolutely a mint error, get to a coin shop for a estimate it seriously might be big cash. Dont clean it anymore than it already is. Heck send it to pcgs. Just my two cents. Also great eye for catching that! Hope its worth alot.

I don't think it's a error. The letters are reverse and the back side is smooth. Also the letters are depressed versus raised so it wasn't the dies for sure. It looks to me like there was another coin on top of it and they got smashed. I'm not a coin guy though so these are just my guesstamations and observations!

Thanks for the replies, coin chaser I think you hit the nail on the head! You said it looks like one coin was on top of the other one and got smashed.....Surprisingly enough it is a type of error.
After a little more research this is called a brockage error, produced when one coin doesn't eject correctly from the die and gets in the way of the next coin being minted. Here are some pictures I found of this type of error.

brockage error.jpg

Here is a link to this quarter error:http://errorcoins.auctivacommerce.com/1999-PCGS-MS-64-Brockage-Partial-Collar-Connecticut-State-Quarter-Mint-Error-RARE-P5215845.aspx
error brockage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom