Honest Opinions on TID Accuracy

Smudge

Greeting to all.

I have not used TID machines often because my experience on the few I tried was not good when it came to their accuracy (I have very mild soil in my area). The TID seemed to be off about half of the time.

However, I have a reached a point where sometimes I just want to cherry pick coins and forget pulltabs and everything else.

On shallower coins (up to 5 inches), if I choose to use a TID detector, I want the detector to be accurate about 80% of the time. So a quarter signal is usually a quarter, a dime is usually either a dime or a pre-1982 cent, a zincoln is a zincoln, etc.

So my question to the group is this: which detector (up to $600.00) have you found gives you the most accurate TID on U.S. coins?

I understand that everyone is right because everyone's experience is different, and personal experience is all we have to go on.

I very much appreciate the thoughts of the group.

Omega is a coin killer. Best coil for me seems to be 5" sniper.

The only 2 that I have ever used were both great.
The F2 does well on all coins to a decent depth with my 2 larger coils both concentrics.
About 7-8" on the 8" and a bit more on the 10"
The sniper is fantastic around trash and also a coin hog and good to at least 6 inches in good soil.
Most coins I dig, even the old ones seem to be not much deeper than 6" around here and the F2 will see them and identify them.

For all targets in that range and deeper, the F70 can do that job more than well.
So far I have dug my deepest coins at 8" and accurate ID, but I have gotten good tones and pretty decent ID's on objects way past that.

Thanks to all. I'm mostly looking for shallow clad coins so depth isn't an issue for me. Six inches is ample.

The votes seem to be on the F2 and the Omega. I will check both of these out.

I've read posts from many people who say that the Omega is very jumpy and prone to EMI. It's interesting to hear from people who have clearly had a different experience.

Greeting to all.

I have not used TID machines often because my experience on the few I tried was not good when it came to their accuracy (I have very mild soil in my area). The TID seemed to be off about half of the time.

However, I have a reached a point where sometimes I just want to cherry pick coins and forget pulltabs and everything else.

On shallower coins (up to 5 inches), if I choose to use a TID detector, I want the detector to be accurate about 80% of the time. So a quarter signal is usually a quarter, a dime is usually either a dime or a pre-1982 cent, a zincoln is a zincoln, etc.

So my question to the group is this: which detector (up to $600.00) have you found gives you the most accurate TID on U.S. coins?

I understand that everyone is right because everyone's experience is different, and personal experience is all we have to go on.

I very much appreciate the thoughts of the group.

Fisher F2, Teknetics omega, Teknetics gamma, Teknetics EuroTek, Minelab X-Terra 305 ETC ETC ETC. All great machines and should fit the purpose you described well.

I REALLY like the Euro Tek and its iron audio!

Does the Eurotek allow for notching? If I want to keep nickels but dump pulltabs, notching will be an important feature.

Thanks to all. I'm mostly looking for shallow clad coins so depth isn't an issue for me. Six inches is ample.

The votes seem to be on the F2 and the Omega. I will check both of these out.

I've read posts from many people who say that the Omega is very jumpy and prone to EMI. It's interesting to hear from people who have clearly had a different experience.

If you run the omega hot around power sources it gets sparky but not jump on ID. If you are only worried about 6" you can run it at 50 sens and it will be quiet as a mouse. It's ID on coins is locked rock solid to the edge of detection. There is little doubt when you hit a coin. Even nickels. The stock coil ID's best and is least prone to EMI. You can even still run it hot to 10" depth if you like.

Big old Bang for the buck is the Whites Coinmaster GT. Street for about $365 or so depending on promotions. The 4x6 Whites Prizim Sniper is the bees knees for shallow (<6") target separation. After you look at the F2 take a look at the additional features you get with the GT..
Any machine will take time to learn. The VDI is not exact science and all the things that affect the tone you get with a non VDI also affect the VDI. After all the VID is just the computer taking all the info it has and making an educated guess. Is it accurate, I can tell a quarter from a bottle cap.. dig 25 quarters, and one of 2 bottle caps.. yep maybe missed a few quarters (standing on end) but when cherry picking it is rather simple. Just discriminate out everything up to copper penny/dime and just dig the stuff that adds up.. penny is low 70s dime is upper 70s.. quarter is 84+- Yes, you can notch in nickels if you like. It's a little more money than the F2 and the shooter is about $135 but there are NEL coils that are a bit less and very good. Contact flphil (Phil Myers) forum sponsor for whatever you buy.. he got great prices and awesome customer support!

I think the target ID on most detectors is very accurate. Meaning coins usually show up right where there supposed to. Problem is all the other junk in the ground that can show up anywhere on the scale. The Teknetics detectors I've used are very chatty,not a bad thing,just a different way of detecting. The Minelab 705 I'm using now is silent until passing over a target that's not notched out. The Omega I had did stand out as being deadly accurate at pinpointing and depth indication on coins.

TID is just a refinement of what the old standby machines do. Occasionally they can be wrong but it sure beats digging every single undiscriminated target when you are in the mood to filter some of them out.

spent about 2 hours at the high school last evening, picked up $9.25 in quarters , $3.80 in dimes, one junk charm and about 8 pieces of high conductivity trash, just to see what it was... I don't think I would like MD without multiple tone and Visual ID. The target ID (icons) are the least important once you lean the Tones and Visual ID numbers for your machine.

My f70 has been very accurate with target id on coins up to 8 inches deep, maybe even a little deeper. The f70 is a great machine, check it out.

Back
Top Bottom