New Dude: What accessories are a must?

H

H2O

Hey folks,

I am new to this hobby and I have a few questions to start. I just had a big moving sale and I was fortunate to have enough money to purchase a Fisher F4, (from Tony). My question is: What are tools/gadgets that I must have to begin with?

I see pouches, knives, shovels, picks, probes and other things, but there are too many choices. Also where can I get a catalog with these things in them?

Thanks and this is a cool board with lots of info.

You need to let us know what and where you will be hunting. In a park you won't need a sand scoop and at the beach most don't use a pinpointer. Most guys use a small coil for trashy parks but need a large coil for the open fields. Rob

Glad you are getting lined out in this great hobby. I have always used the detector, ear phones and a digger ( Lesche for me ). I dont use anything else - coil is a standard 8 inch one. Lots of people use pinpointers but I dont. Why not start out wirth the essentials and see what you need as you learn the machine ?
As far as a catalog of things - go to any detector maker's site and ask for one or just look online. Steve in so az

I get a "flyer-salespaper-newsletter" type paper from KellyCo every few months in the mail, I think you can subscribe from their website.

Todd

advice

I thought this device was gimicky but i would get a good handheld pinpointer if you want to save you a lot of time

i detected without one and now with one and the efficiency is huge

also get a good handheld digger there really is only one i would recommend and that is a lesche digger. I have used other handheld diggers and none compare to the lesche

oh and if you are going to hunt on the beach A LOT i would invest in a sand scoop for your digging tool.

the sand scoop just seems like it would be a great deal faster and efficient

from what i learned you want to make your setup compact not have a ton of gadgets but just enough to get the job done efficiently and accurately

I use a lesche digger and a white's bullseye pinpointer II with my detector

Oh I almost forgot steve mentioned this HEADPHONES are a must have I wouldnt recommend cheapy ones i would spend a good 50 to 75 on a good pair to use

you use the pinpointer after you dig your small hole to find the metal object faster and i will scan teh ground before i dig to see if the object is directly on top so i can just pluck a quick hole and grab whats in the ground

Buddy, from a fellow that played football for over 13 years......KNEE PADS....at least for me.....they extend the day after hours of kneeling.......Home depot/lowes.....try them on and get the thickest that feels comfortable within your budget...

ML

The important stuff was already mentioned.

One of my things I dont leave home without is bug spray. Don't laugh, it is a must.

I wholeheartedly agree with the last 3 posts. I'm finding recovery alot faster now that I have my vibra probe and I use bug spray every time out. Seems I still manage to get bitten!

Back
Top Bottom