Plug popper

chopz54

Anyone made one these? Care to share your plans?

Many Thanks. Chop

Attachments

• plugcring.jpg
    plugcring.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,061
Yup, made one a long time ago and tried it out several times. The main problem with it was as long as the ground is fairly soft topsoil it don't work all that bad. However, if it is rocky, sandy, or a lot of clay it is a pain in the neck. Sand will fall ot before you get it out of the ground, clay sticks to it and you have a mess, and the rocks woun't allow it to go into the ground. I went back to the basic way of digging and haven't looked back. But thats just my opinion. It may work just fine for you and your soil conditions where you are at. GL&HH

Thanks Hoser, Yes i think they would only be really practicle in soft soil conditions. Now I have good pinpoint on my latest machine ( Tesoro Eldorado ) just thought it would be fun to make and try, mainly on lawns, with minimum search hole needed.

Chop

Hey Chop... you'd be all set if you played golf. All you'd need is the plastic flag hole insert. :lol:

Hoser... good post. ;)

I think that this project will need some welding Chopz...
Well if I had to make one like this my 1st choice would be
1- Stainless steel ( or galvanised metal pipe tube) about 2 1/2" diameter and length about 40 cm + .
2- The push handle would be 1/2" metal or stainless steel.
3- Weld the 1/2" push handle one the top of the 2 1/2' tube.
4- Drill the handle in the middle with an 8mm HSS so as you can insert an 8mm diameter mild steel rod of 45 cm length.
5- At one end of the 8mm mild steel rod you will have to weld a small metal disc (choose a thick, 2mm will do) about the same size of the interior of the 2 1/2" steel pipe.
6- TO complete you will notice on the pic you posted there is a little handle on the top of the rod so as you can push the earth which is found inside the tube. For this small handle you can weld a piece of rod in cross section.

Note the diameter of the Stainless steel tube varies depending on your choice. Don't forget to grind the exterior end diameter of the tude that will be push in the earth, sharpening it will help maximum penetration.

I have tried them tulip planters, basically the same thing.
As Hoser says, they are only feasible to use with success in the best of soil conditions ... And even then, it deformed and snapped the handle before too long.
In great soil conditions I can cut a neat little plug 4 inches deep in seconds with my 5 in 1, so I don't even see the need to lug something like that around.

No such thing as easy diggin, I guess you could say.

That wise Chopz :)
Can I show just you this...

Attachments

• yhst-1494687308114_1947_9171746.jpg
    yhst-1494687308114_1947_9171746.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,106
Since you asked,
I made my own from a Quart Tube Chalking Gun, and a 16" Piece of 3" Conduit.
Cutting the Chalking Gun Straps Off. I asked a Friend to Weld the Tube on.
After Grinding a Cutting Edge on the End of it.
I put it to the Test, It Worked Great. But...
As hoser said earlier, I too, have gone back to my Probe and Trowel.

Back
Top Bottom